Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Seeking balance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Moving out to the country was a transition for us when we first moved out here. We moved from suburbia where every store you could want was 5 minutes away. But, it quickly became apparent that the distance issue was a blessing in disguise. We could do without a lot more than we had been, and it was good for all of us. Our trips into town became focused and the need to be organized and shop and travel with a plan was now a necessity. We came together as a family more. There was all of this room to play and develop imaginations. The children needed the room. The spaces and the green and the critters fed their imaginations.

Our tiny little town does have a rec center and a soccer field, so there would be opportunities there without having to travel too far. Being in the country does mean that barns are on every corner, so S.'s horseback riding lessons aren't too far either. We used to drive into town for ballet, co-op, science classes, field trips, etc. I gave it all up. We benefited from all of those activities. But, we had to give up too much of the time set aside in a day for playing. The activities were good, but the time spent following a grasshopper around the back and down into the treeline was lost, and it was as if our peace had been lost as well.

God is ordered, and all of His Creation is ordered. Disorder and disunity are not of God, so they can be used by the evil one. When we were running so much, there was constant disorder - rhythm and routine were lost and always seemed just out of reach, little people who badly needed napping were only getting snatches here and there, older children were feeling rushed to complete lessons rather than just enjoying them and letting the lessons take place naturally. Because order is so important to me and very crucial for a couple of my children, I really need to tackle and find a workable solution to the errand hang-over because it factors in so much to our recovery and ability to transition back into our (relatively) quiet rhythm at home.

We were constantly moving against the grain. As I mentioned, we'd all rather be home. Not locked up here with a compound mentality, but here mostly and out occasionally. So, that's where we've ended up. That's what we discerned over the last couple of years. It's not for everyone - I mentioned earlier that I know temperaments play a large part in this. I know mothers who can run all day and accomplish amazing feats in the home that leave me in awe. That's not me. That's not my children. For now I'm trying to mend my weary errand frazzled spirit so that I can again view outside activities as good and not constantly view them as "interruptions" in our day. I want those few activities that we embrace to become part of our day, part of our sanctification. This is where my attitude is so key. 'Cause mention going out to me right now and my eyes roll, and I let out a long sigh, and my entire body language says, "really...do we have to? right now?" This is what I meant earlier when I asked all of you how or what you do to cultivate that interior peace and domestic spirit even when you must be out of the home.

Anyway, I took the long, country-winding road way of saying that yes, living out in the country is a factor in our ability to get from point a to point b in a shorter time, but it is really only one factor in this decision, and it has brought unexpected blessings with it in terms of helping us to let go and just live. Does that make any sense?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Paula in MN wrote:
Like Jennifer, we are not a cloistered family, but how do you draw the line?

I wish I knew. Swimming is a huge commitment. Practice starts at 5:30, five days a week for my son, MWF for my daughter, from October to mid-March. We don't get home until nearly 8pm. At this same time my husband is gearing up for or slogging his way through CPA season. With my son in bricks-and-mortar school it has become much more difficult.   

How do we manage? It's not perfect. I try to feed the kids and myself before we go to practice and hold a plate for my husband to eat, with us sitting with him at the table, when we all get home. On Friday evenings dh comes to the pool for a swim after he closes up for the day, and we instituted family movie night for when we get home.

With both kids in the water three days a week I can swim a few laps myself (I hope to be really committed come this fall) or read or go to the grocery store or run other errands.   Alone.   

My son *loves swimming. He's a different person when he swims regularly. As difficult as it is for me to manage (even with two kids and a short commute) I can't imagine taking it away from him. Swimming is joy, for him.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

This thread has made me rethink our committment to our all day once a week homeschool co-op. I think we are going to put the 8yo in a nearby, twice a week karate class instead, keep my daughter in Irish dance once a week, and that'll be it for committments. Then we can fill in with park days and such when we have the time/energy. I agree that this is a temperment issue. *I* get cranky and enjoy my family less when we run too much. I also don't think it's fair to the younger ones. We were on the go for hours today running errands after dance class, and when we have days like that the baby gets so little from me other than hasty nursing sessions in the front seat of the car, you know? And the toddler gets dragged everywhere, in and out. Too many days like that just aren't good for my attitude or theirs. My big kids love the co-op. But if made to choose, they would rather drop co-op and keep their classes, and I think they are going to have to choose.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

melanie wrote:
when we have days like that the baby gets so little from me other than hasty nursing sessions in the front seat of the car, you know?

Oh, I so know what you mean, Melanie...and sadly, so does little Katie. Some days are just like that!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version