Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Comeback Names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
Suzanne mentions the fun statistics with Dorothy's name. I'll bet she was looking on the Social Security Administrations baby name page (since we seem to have common on-line search interests ).

Yes.....you mean my favorite website to completely "lose myself" in??? Some people drink or smoke....I look up name on the SS website (or stare at the USPS website, picking out all my favorite stamps!

I LOVE the history of names too!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here are some of my favorites.....

Evelyn
Fiona
Francine
Loretta
Lorena
Marguerite (I've come close on this one )
Marjorie
Eleanor

When I was a freshman in college and home for Christmas vacation, my parent's house completely burned down on Christmas Day. But.......guess what I had taken with me to college that didn't burn in the fire??? ......the three little "name pamphlets" from the 60's that my mom acquired somehow when she was pregnant with her first baby....the exact ones that she had written on, made notes, lists, etc!!!!!. WHY ON EARTH WOULD I TAKE THOSE WITH ME TO COLLEGE?????     We will NEVER KNOW!!!!    But, they are still with us today because they were in my dorm room! I've used them with each pregnancy, and dh GROANS when I pull them out and start paging through them. "Am I going to have to look at those women with the buffant hair on the covers of those books AGAIN?" he asks!!!
But, I LOVE those books....they don't have any of the weird "new" names in them. Just traditional names.

I LOVE Ivy.....hmmm....that might have to get added to the list

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote doris

Funny US/UK differences. Over here, Fiona is a common name among my generation (30-something).

I'm amused that I might be encouraging a little Ivy revival in the US!

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

doris wrote:
Funny US/UK differences. Over here, Fiona is a common name among my generation (30-something).

Here in Australia the same... I only ever had one year where I was one of a group (last year of primary school there were three of us in one class.) But I pretty much always knew other Fionas above and below me.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I mentioned this on the grandmother thread, but I have an Ada, named for my paternal grandmother's mother. Now there's an oldie you don't hear all that much. We liked it because it was short and sweet and didn't seem to have a definite image attached to it -- an Ada could be anyone, we thought. And it's easy to spell, of course, though surprisingly, people have had trouble pronouncing it -- they want to say "Adda" or "Aida," and it's "AY-da." She likes having a unique name, in the same way she likes having red hair, though it irks her that she can't EVER find a magnet or a mug with her name on it.

My boys are Joel and Ben, just good and Biblical and easy to find on magnets. Ben often gets called just "B." My youngest daughter is Rachel, though we mostly call her (and she writes her name as) Ray. In fact, my older children refer to my younger children collectively as "Rabies," which is one unfortunate outcome I confess I had not remotely considered when naming them.

I love Ivy, too. I went to school with an Ivy, and to college with a Nell Ivy . . . old name meets small-town West Tennessee.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version