Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Comeback Names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Cay, we were cross posting. I hope that God blesses with another girl some day, because I love the Zane and Zelie combination too (although they wouldn't be twins). Now, do you pronounce it Zell-ee to rhyme with belly or Zay-ley to rhyme with Hayley?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well down here Matilda, we would say Zeal - ee (eel sound)

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I'm Anne thanks to there being many Annie's in my mother's family tree. My maternal grandmother (Annie Maude) died 3 months before I was born, she was living with my parents as she was dying...she was knitting a jacket for the new baby to come..in pink..she must of been sure I was going to be a girl. So I am Anne after her in particular and I like the idea of having an Annie in the house,(slightly different from my name, Anne) but dh says, "But YOUR Annie!"

We have some old names, our oldest is John Joseph on his birth certificate but is only referred to as "Jack" - this was very common years ago, a John only to be referred to as Jack.

We have a Grace Eunice....I had wanted Eunice for the first name and she was for 3 days but the unfortunate comments made by so many made us place Eunice as the second name. (The movie, "What's Up Doc?" hasn't helped this name along much! )

It also amused me that the relatives that our children are named after, get their looks from that person, it's amazing becuase we have the names chosen before we see them!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Matilda wrote:
Nissa is Scandinavian for "friendly elf" and Greek for "the beginning". In Dictionary of Patron Saints, it also says that Nissa can be connected with St. Nisia who embraced martyrdom in ancient Africa. Her feast date is June 28th. I guess I always thought it was a nickname for something else like Vanessa maybe.

Yep, lots of people think that my real name is Vanessa, or Lisa, or Melissa - all really pretty names. The Scandinavian meaning is what my parents chose it for - and Fay is French-ish for fairy. Very 70s... I didn't know about the Greek, however. VERY cool. A family I babysat for are Indian - they told me that my name means "twilight star". How romantic!

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

Ours are:

Avery Richard (Avery is french for Oberon, the musical setting of which has a huge horn solo in it in the version by vonWeber...I didn't know this when I "thought" of the name, and we hear many girls named Avery nowdays)

Forrest Jocelyn (Jocelyn is a boy's name in France)

Rosemary Genevieve (Rose=Forrest's pick, Mary is dh's mother and Genevieve is my grandma)

Lucas Gabriel (dh finally got a pick!)

All in all I love the names, but it sure is a labor of love to get them picked out!

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I know one family of six who all have old-fashioned names. The two youngest are Arthur and Sidney. Another old-fashioned name I've come across a few times recently is Florence.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

I'm loving all these name posts! I've been contemplating on baby names lately, and these posts are helping me out!   I LOVE the name Ivy.   What middle name do you think would sound pretty with Ivy?

My grandmothers names were Goldie and Lillian. I've always loved the name Lily, but dh doesn't like it.

Right now my favorite girl name is Julia Grace. My mom thinks it sounds like an old lady name, but I think it's really pretty and classic.

I also think Cecilia is pretty, but again, dh vetoed it.

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

EmilyC wrote:
I've always loved the name Lily, but dh doesn't like it.

We've got some of those names difficulties too! I like Vivien, but husband is afraid she would get called Vivi which he doesn't like. And for a boy, I like Emil which he doesn't like because it rhymes with "anal" as in retentive.

But, he also like Linus, and I just haven't been able to warm up to that one either.

Waltzing Matilda

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Kathryn UK wrote:
I know one family of six who all have old-fashioned names. The two youngest are Arthur and Sidney. Another old-fashioned name I've come across a few times recently is Florence.

Oh boy - Arthur is a BIG favourite with my kids. They're campaigning heavily for it in case this little one is a boy (we'll find out today). It's growing on me. They want to call him Artie when he's sweet and Wart when he's not.    Wonder *where* they got that notion?

Blessings,

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh, Nissa, prayers for a blessedly delightful ultrasound and fun name discussions afterwards. Do come back and let us all know what ensues!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

missionfamily wrote:
Oh, Nissa, prayers for a blessedly delightful ultrasound and fun name discussions afterwards. Do come back and let us all know what ensues!

Baby update here.

Blessings,

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh, Nissa, Yay!    So I guess we need to start a "Grandfather's names" thread?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

missionfamily wrote:
Oh, Nissa, Yay!    So I guess we need to start a "Grandfather's names" thread?

Yes, please. I need help.

Blessings,

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Oh you DON"T want any of our grandfather names:

Vaclav
or
Valentine

I kid you not!

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

BTW... Congratulations on your little man!

Waltzing Matilda

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

I just remembered we had a Clovis (boy) and Sigrid (girl) on my mom's side. If I was a boy my name would have been....Nigel (Sorry to any Nigel's out there)

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

aussieannie wrote:
It also amused me that the relatives that our children are named after, get their looks from that person, it's amazing becuase we have the names chosen before we see them!

This is true with my brothers and I. We are all named for family members and resemble them. For example, I am the only person in the extended family with freckles, except for my Grandmother Leah. It's almost eerie.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Have you played with the Baby Name Voyager to see how popular your baby names are (in America) and when they were popular previously? Lisbet's Henry, for example, I think of as unusual too, but it is currently in the top 100 names whereas someone else mentioned Dorothy and Louisa (a personal favorite), neither of which registers at all.   

All you have to do is type in the name, choose girl/ boy/both, and see what comes up. I think the book would be interesting too.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I find the study of names and popularity fascinating.

RamFam wrote:
Leah - growing up I was the only one, now I hear it at the playgrounds all the time!

This is my 12 dd's name. Looks like it is currently no. 68 for popularity, though it wasn't even in the top 100 when we named her, so I guess we can expect it a little more with kids she may end up babysitting . We hear it on occasion but we find it doesn't come anywhere close to Emma, Grace, Hannah, Abigail, Madeline for older names now popular in her age group. Looks like it's been hovering around the top 100 (or in the top 100) since the mid seventies. Older than that it really is listed as less common (top 300 or so). I think a hundred years ago it was more of an ethnic Jewish name.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Rachel May wrote:
Have you played with the Baby Name Voyager to see how popular your baby names are (in America) and when they were popular previously?

I hadn't seen that site, Rachel - very cool. While I was working on the following you posted - I've been using the SSA site.
-----
Suzanne mentions the fun statistics with Dorothy's name. I'll bet she was looking on the Social Security Administrations baby name page (since we seem to have common on-line search interests ). Anyway, if you haven't visited this page you should. It has a great search engine and you can generate all kinds of fun lists to compare name popularity. It goes back to 1880 for the searches. It really fits this thread well. My daughter had never seen the page so I showed it to her last night and she had such fun searching all the names of our families for hours.

It has been interesting to look back at names coming up here. There are some that we are seeing that really have never gone too far out of style, but are still considered old-fashioned (classic) like Julia, Rachel, Sarah, Rebecca. Then there are those "old-fashioned" names that are recently more popular now than they ever were in the last 150 years. Olivia, Abigail, Sophie/Sophia, Isabelle/Isabella, Victoria. Some of these names (like Isabella) became almost obsolete in our generations (1940s-80s) completely dropping out of the top 1000.

crusermom wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if Mary made a comeback!!
Mary

And, Mary, though not as common as a century ago has continued to be in the top 100 for the past 130 years. It was always no. 1 or 2 until 1964 (interestingly the year I was born) and then started a decline.

Then there are names like Grace, Ella, and Emma that clearly were very popular in older generations - went through a major slump in popularity and are hugely popular again. Or name variations like Eva/Ava, Claire/Clara. Eva very popular in late 1800's fell way out of favor and now Ava is in top 10 for past 3 years. Clara was really popular (top 20) a hundred years ago - all variations went our of style in mid-century, now Claire is in top 100 again (and increases exponentially when you add all the variations like Keira/Chiara/Kyra - which interestingly are VERY popular in our Catholic homeschool groups).

And top 20 names of 100 years ago that you just don't see coming back at all though you may hear of one occasionally - Ethel, Bertha, Mildred (I was surprised to see that Edna is still hovering near the top 100).

One problem searching this list is the variations in spelling don't factor together, which I think would be helpful. There is a site that does factor in variations together but doesn't go back nearly so far or have the same search options. I'm trying to find it again and will link.

So now you know how I spent the last couple of hours - better go finish dinner.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version