Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Pregnancy, Diet, and Blood Sugar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Pam, Thanks so much. I'm sure B. has that book and I will look into it. Yesterday was my first day with the meter, and everything was normal all day long. I checked this morning when I got up and it was 88. I really think I'm doing fine but will continue to check because like you said, it can be very worrisome. This will be my 9th homebirth, and nary a blip in any other pregnancy except for iron, which I know how to fix with diet. (my dh laughed that making myself bleed 4x a day doesn't help! )

It's so funny to say that 33 is older. My midwife was so careful to say 'older' rather than 'old'.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

phplists
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote phplists

I think you will find the info in Anne Frye's book very reassuring - I know I did.

Did I say 33? Sorry!!! I meant 39 - I was 39 in my last pregnancy. No, I only wish I were so old as to be 33 again!! ;)

Wow - 9 homebirths - that is great! I've had 2 and I would have 10 more if I had that many more childbearing years left. I'm 41 so I think that hoping for 10 is a bit of a stretch at my age...but maybe the Lord will bless us with one more if all goes well.

That is great news about your blood sugar this morning - 88 is great! 121 really is not considered elevated by many docs - I believe that 125 is the cutoff for most practices and it used to be 130. Still, it doesn't hurt to check - it can set in later in life even with excellent diet - your pancreas I guess just has a harder time keeping up with the extra demands of pregnancy. However, it sounds as though you are already doing great with diet. Maybe you would feel comfortable only keeping track of your morning fasting levels and then check on hour after one meal a day...I checked 4 times a day but I did, later in the pregnancy, have significant variation - so I think I probably did have a case that could have been diagnosed as GD if I had gone through the test.

I think that your midwife probably is traumatized by what happened to her grandson. I have a friend here who would like to have a homebirth but she has lupus, and the local hospital lost a baby whose mother had lupus just recently and so everyone is on high alert even though there are significant differences between these cases.

I will pray for your midwife and for you.

Pam
Mom to Ben, 9, Daniel, 6 and Jonathan, 3
http://www.exceptionalmarriages.com/weblog
http://www.catholicmom.com/pilch.htm
Back to Top View phplists's Profile Search for other posts by phplists Visit phplists's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote monique

Lisbet wrote:
This will be my 9th homebirth,

That's awesome! Interesting thread, btw.

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Pam, No, you said 39 - I'm the one that's 33, and my midwife was tip toe-ing around calling me 'old'.    I'm going to really really watch my sugar, try to cut it out all together - but oh my I was looking forward to fall baking! And test in the AM before breakfast and then an hour after either lunch or dinner unless anything changes. Thanks again everyone!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

phplists
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote phplists

Hang in there Lisbet! And please keep us posted. Do you do whole grain baking? Some of the recipes with freshly-ground whole flour might not hike your blood sugar too much, if you eat with protein.

I use Sue Gregg's Whole Grain Cooking as a resource - http://www.suegregg.com. I'm pretty sure I was able to eat some of the waffles and muffins and whole grain breads (which are also quite tasty) from there, alongside some protein and keep my blood sugar in reasonable bounds.

Of course, I was a LOT OLDER than you!!   

I think you will be fine - it makes sense to be careful but hopefully this will not make you crazy. I soon found through monitoring my blood sugar what I could eat and was sometimes pleasantly surprised to learn that I could include things along with protein and still be okay. The monitor is a great learning tool.

Oh - and a friend of mine who always has full-blown GD with all of her pregnancies introduced me to chocolate soynut butter - from a company called IM Healthy - I ordered a case online - you can dip a few almonds or other nuts in the chocolate soynut butter and get fat and healthy protein and it still tastes like a Reese's cup....which for me is kind of a key component of my diet, but that's JUST ME. (For the Brewer diet, it would also count toward your protein grams...)

Seriously, I found when I ate a handful of nuts at night as a snack or as part of my snack at nighttime - maybe a bowl of nuts and some frozen blueberries in plain yogurt or in Vanilla soy milk, my fasting levels were lower first thing in the morning.

Alright - Hang in there!!
Back to Top View phplists's Profile Search for other posts by phplists Visit phplists's Homepage

phplists
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote phplists

In fact, I think I may have to sign off here and go get a few chocolate soynut butter almonds RIGHT NOW...excuse me....

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Well, I wanted to update everyone here. After I got all drama mama over this, then I had the electric shock thing that I visited my midwife over, while I was there she mentioned to me that they had to buy a new glucometer - after me, they had five more mothers test high, which is very unusual for them. They tested the meter, and it was reading 10-12 pts. high. She tested my blood with the new one while I was there, about one hour after a huge lunch, and it was 112! :) So, it wasn't me, it was the machine. PHEW!! Either way, I was educated on a topic I new very little about. Thanks everyone!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

wow, how interesting!! all of that "work" for nothing!
belated happy b day to MB, too!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic