Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Read any good cook books recently? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks! those sound yummy. It gives me a starting point. what about the breads, have you tried any of them?

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

I love READING cookbooks! My husband teases me about it, but I cannot imagine how he enjoys theology, soooo----we laugh at each other. It's funny cuz I often do not actually follow the recipes, but I read them for ideas and "starting points"----

The one I am drooling over now is "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters here.
I checked it out of the library recently and it's wonderful-------I think I'll be asking for this for Christmas!

I also just checked out of the library Alice Medrich's cookies and brownies--YIKES it is selling for $169. used for a tiny little book!!! so I won't link to it here, maybe I'll be photocopying some from this one---

I am enjoying "Chocolate and Zucchini--Daily Adventures in a Parisian kitchen" by Clotilde Dusoulier, which I bought some time ago but had not got to cooking with yet----she has a new book out which I am drooling over, I read a preview of it in Bon Appetit and it looked wonderful too, very anecdotal.

On the French theme, I love Ina Garten, and have really enjoyed her "Barefoot in Paris" cookbook.

I love cooking magazines, too

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Carmie

I guess I jumped into this conversation late, but I love cookbooks. I relish curling up with a good cookbook especially ones that offer lots of wisdom on lost cooking arts and health.

I really like Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Now, I admit that I don't cook a lot from this cookbook, but I love all the widsom that comes from a traditional diet that includes liberal amounts of butter! I do make the vanilla ice cream with maple syrup and it's delicious.

I love pretty much anything by Ina Garten.

I really like Apples for Jam just because it's so pretty!

I check out tons of cookbooks from the library so that I can preview them before I purchase.

I also really liked Nina Planck's Real Food. She's definitely in the Weston A. Price Camp and this was just good readin'.

I like seasonal cookbooks as well. I'm always looking for something for Advent and Christmas celebrations.
There's just something so home-y about reading cookbooks for pleasure!

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I just got a new cookbook - Sonlight Cooks - and it has recipes realted to cores, etc. I'm enjoying it.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I love my Bed and Breakfast Cookbooks, this volume and volume II have the greatest muffins recipes! I made KeyLime Muffins recently, yum.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Real Food is *awesome!* I just finished it today, and yes, I took it to bed with me. Its also going to be required reading for my ds's health course this year.

I am also pouring through Saving Dinner the Low Carb way...its not dogmatically low carb and the recipes look very family friendly. I'm excited about it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mary G wrote:
I've got his American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza on request at the library.

I just finished reading this (cover-to-cover) over the weekend and can't wait to experiment!!! Only at lunchtime though as hubby can't have the results. But we will definitely have the grilled pizza at dd's grad party on the 13th.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Stef, grilled pizza is the best!

I love reading cookbooks too, I've been on the waiting list for How To Eat Supper at the library forever.

One of my favorite cookbooks used to be Local Flavors but it is too depressing trying to eat local down here. Produce wise anyway. If I wanted only seafood marinated in coconuts and key limes it'd be fine!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version