Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: make ahead meals for the school year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Books,

I thought about you when I made this soup today Chicken Tortilla soup It was so good. I made it for supper but I think it would work great for lunch. It starts with cooked chicken so it only takes about 4 hours in the crockpot. It was delicious served with avocado and cheese sprinkle on top. Yum!

Oh! and your kids are not the only ones. My kids will get tired of soup every day too.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Well, I thought about this all night in my sleep. The problem I'm having with all the things I've used in the past is that they aren't dense enough in protein to keep my clan full. When they were little, a bowl of good cereal in the morning and a pb and j sandwich on whole wheat (along with fruit a/o veggies with both) would do it. But now it seems like its all too grain intensive and doesn't hold them.

I need to wait till the weather cools off, but I think I am going to give it a try. If it goes along with homemade bread, and they can choose to have some cheese or peanut butter with their bread if they are feeling hungry, along with fruit or salad, whatever's in season, well, maybe it'll work.

I'm determined to get them over the idea that lunch needs to be different every day!!!!

The other thing I am trying desperately to work out is less driving. My old menus require regular trips to Costco, which is an hour away for me, and costs a fortune in gas money. Soups have the kinds of things I can get locally for a decent price. I am working on getting meat from local small farmers into the freezer, and hopefully we'll have layers next spring. Then I won't be so dependent on a variety of stores.

I think I'm going to hunt down that magazine. Thanks for the info.

Natalia, I *love* tortilla soup! It is probably one of my favorites. It would go wonderfully with a triangle or two of cheese quesadilla for the older ones, and raw veggies.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Books,

I have meat in the freezer from a local farmer too! My husband's uncle!! So, that really helps matters for the soup meat.

This magazine has a tortilla soup recipe too. I will check out your too Natalia!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote nissag

If you're looking for something protein-rich that is not meat (or soy), and still very lunch-like, try serving sandwiches on Ezekiel bread (either homemade or store-bought). Ezekiel has almost 6g of protein per slice, as much as an egg.

You can serve all sorts of open-faced sandwiches on Ezekiel. One of our faves is an avocado and tomato sandwich on Ezekiel. Toast the bread, spread with homemade guacamole, and top with a slice of garden tomato. Salt and pepper to taste, serve open-faced. It provides about 8g protein. A child requires about 22g per day. Add a side of yogurt, soft cheese, or milk and you're at least halfway to their daily protein! And you've given them lots of whole grain and veggies, too.

Not the make-ahead recipe you were looking for, but crazy fast, and eatable on a paper plate or napkin for easy clean-up.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version