Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A question about modest... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 29 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I always wear skirts out but I do have "jeans funk" days at home. My only pair is one my sister gave me. My kids are young enough that we don't HAVE to go out every day and my funk days are also days when I'm not inclined towards an outing. I always change for Mass. I also know that my husband really prefers me in skirts (partly because he's supporting what he knows I want) so I try not to give in on funk days.

I'm having trouble this pregnancy, too, though. I had different wardrobe ideas, apparently, two years ago. My storage box was shorts and sleeveless tops--two things I wouldn't normally be caught dead in, now. And I'm wearing capris today because, well, I have to wear something. Where are you skirt-wearing pregnant mamas shopping these days? For that matter--where do ADULT pregnant women shop these days!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mainpage-maternity.html

This is where I got my skirts when I was pregnant with the boys!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Vanna wrote:
Does anyone know where there are good skirt patterns? I especially liked the Cotton Wrap skirt that Lisbet had written about in a previous post.

I made my own after reading that post:-) It's pretty straightforward, although, I continue to tweak it slightly.

I think from memory, I measured my waist and divided by four, worked out how wide I wanted the bottom (I read someone's suggestion that skirts with a lower diametre of 1.5 metres were good for them, so I think I used that) and divided that by four. Then I measured how long I wanted it. (I can't check these properly at the moment... I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant so they're not current—still wearing the same skirts though!)

Using these numbers, I drew a triangle without a point. I curved the top edge, and bottom edge and used this as my pattern. I cut out six pieces using this pattern (remembering seam allowance on the sides). I cut an extra strip to match one of the long edges, about 6 cms wide (for facing on the 'surface' edge). I cut the waistband 10 cms wide (to be folded over) and 3.5 metres long... although, I have a feeling I cut this a little shorter in the end. I also added a couple of 'beltloops' to carry the waist tie... made a big difference (on some fabrics) to the way the finished skirt hung.

I do need to make another skirt soon! And I have plans to blog the process... If I get to it, I'll try and remember to post a link.

It was pretty straightforward, but I do sew fairly regularly. I seem to recall the only tricky part was in sewing up the waistband (I sewed it unfolded, to the skirt, then folded it right sides together to sew the bulk of it closed, then turned it the right way out and topstitched the whole lot). I have a feeling I did _that_ part a couple of times:-(

Hope this is some help, and feel free to ask any questions—I may remember more with prompts!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version