Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Small Homes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I just found this thread and am loving it! Our new house in AK is small (around 1000 sq ft I think)and the space is not arranged how I would like it at all (big open kitchen with no food storage space, lots of space in upstairs master bedroom loft, but tiny kids bedrooms and a BIG portion of the living room taken up by both a wood stove and monitor heater.)
But it is what it is and I am trying hard to find ways to make it work for us. I think it has enormous potential, it's just getting there that will be the challenge! The big challenge will be what to do with all of our school materials, particularly science stuff,and books. The double heater situation means that there is little to no wall space for bookshelves, so I am really pondering what to do with books. Obviously the monitor heater needs to go, which will open up an entire wall and lots more floor space, but dh is hesitant to be rid of it until we see how heating with wood goes. Winter is long and harsh here.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

In our 900 square foot house and 12 people, I keep the school books in under-the-bed tote boxes. One box for each kid. We pull them out in the morning, onto the beds, and take things in and out during the day to the kitchen table(also known as the school table). At dinner time they get returned to under the beds.

For science stuff (we love science stuff!) I have one small closet with shelves above the clothes rod. I do need to get on a chair to get what we are using down, but at least it is out of sight.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

A large master bedroom loft could do triple duty as a library/familyroom/bedroom! By day it's a family hangout, by night it's a cozy parents' retreat! We have a sofa, loveseat and our TV for videos in our average size master bedroom...since we saved space by having drawer units in the closets, instead of using dressers, we gained space for lounging together in our bedroom where we read or watch movies as a family...our livingroom is also less cluttered as a result (but most studying does take place in there and we have small desks and study baskets in that room). We used to have most of our bookshelves in the master bedroom as well, but recently transformed our daughter's old bedroom into a library/guestroom (after she left home). It's amazing how multi-purposing rooms in a home can somehow make a smaller home seem much bigger or at least more livable! Of course, ruthless control of clutter helps make things even more pleasant for all, especially Mom!

I love reading all the ways you ladies have creatively stretched your small living spaces! Hurrah for cottage homeschooling!

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote helene

JoAnn, You are amazing. I remember you from another thread about small houses and you take the cake and I often think of you as I go about my day-to-day.

MaryAn, I am not sure of the diameter of the round table that seats ten. I have a bulky rectangular one myself. The tables at my wedding reception were round and seated ten and were not very large at all.

Sarah, thank you for being so kind and gracious about my "duh" moment. I love your blog and will be putting it on my daily list. Thanks for this thread, too! Some great ideas here!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Sarah

Thought I'd share this picture of my ds' 'doll's bed' as one solution to fitting in more children to an already crowded room.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version