Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Speaking of guilt... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 15 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Speaking of courage, I finally drummed up enough to post on this thread. For a few years, I thought I was a failure as a parent. Then I noticed that my second child was not only matching, but exceeding what her older brother did in school. And the third, while he doesn't exceed #1 in ability, has a great attitude. #4 is similar to #1 attitude-wise, but he finds everything easy. #5 has a "let's get this done" attitude. And #6, who is currently 5 yo, thinks a *limited* amount of school is fun.

I don't know whether I did something wrong (maybe over-extending him school-wise in early years?) or whether our personalities just clash when I challenge him to think. Or, another option is that when I started to feel a little funky about his progress started at or just prior to puberty. But he's my oldest, my guinea pig, and we just don't do well together as far as school is concerned.

Bless you, Marianne. Your post is a timely reminder to me that our first had us *completely* to himself for 1.5 years.

Sparrow
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 15 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Sparrow

Oh gosh, yes!! I've talked about this with many friends, too. I half-jokingly refer to dd1 as my "tester baby." I was only 18 (and dh was only 21) when I had her, I just wasn't prepared. I still feel like a less than stellar mother to her, and she's almost 7! There were almost 4 years between her and our second child...I think in a lot of ways I feel more like her big sister than her mom. And she's SO much like me, we butt heads all the time. Sigh. But yes, I would have done so many things different, and there are things I regret. Dd2 and dd3 got it much better!

I have an older friend who has 10 children, the youngest is 17 and she says that #10 was when she finally felt like she "had it," like she had parented her the way she wanted to parent the others. Her kids are all great so it gives me hope that I haven't ruined dd1!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Katie:

I was 27 when I had my first. It doesn't matter *what* age you are when you have your first. I think that first one always throws new parents for a loop!

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I have to agree with some of the other moms who feel that they were better parents to their older ones. I have 4 children: 12, 10, 10, and 4. The twins are boys, the rest are girls.

I did yell back then but I still do sometimes. But I had more energy back then and I was more consistent. I was more engaged with their age level, and I find that I tend to be more engaged with them still. It's "hard" for me in a way, to be engaged with my 4yr old because I'm busy with the oldest 3.

So, my youngest doesn't know her letters or all her numbers. She has a busier mom than the others had at her age. I'm really working on changing this, but it is a struggle for me.

Just had to admit this.

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

My oldest is 20 and #6 is just 5. I think I am more relaxed, in a good way now. Whenever I see someone with just one or two little ones and they seem completely stressed out and trying to control everything I think to myself "Boy, they need a few more kids to calm themselves down!" Unfortunately, many people stop after two children, so they never get to the point of relaxing and feeling more confident about their own parenting... Oh yes, and actually ENJOYING those beautiful little ones! I would have to say I am enjoying number six a bit more than the others because of all the other five have taught me. No guilt here!

P.S.   If guilt ever does start bubbling beneath the surface I remind myself that #6 has a much richer (in people, not $) environment than the older ones... so in a way, even though it is not always coming from me, that youngest one gets more attention and love than any of them ever did!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

chrisv664 wrote:
P.S.   If guilt ever does start bubbling beneath the surface I remind myself that #6 has a much richer (in people, not $) environment than the older ones... so in a way, even though it is not always coming from me, that youngest one gets more attention and love than any of them ever did!

That's so true! *I* don't read aloud as often as I want to anymore, but my older kids read my younger ones stories all the time. They teach the littles how to do chores the way I taught them. And they are there sometimes when the littles hurt themselves or need compassion or attention.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version