Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: On Line Grocery Shopping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

mary wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
My only complaint about it is that my local guy promised he'd be carrying the products of local farmers, but that was in the winter and I haven't received one local item. So I'm back to buying from the farmers' market and maybe will use DTDO in the winter again.

i know what you mean about local BUT, what will be local in the middle of winter in cincinnati? not much.

No, that's not what I meant. He began the service in the winter, when I subscribed. He promised that in the spring we'd start to get local stuff. The local farmers have had fruits and vegetables available since April. It is now mid-June and the DTDO guy is still delivering lettuce shipped from California, fruit from Mexico, etc.    I'm on a locavore e-list and the farmers who are on it weren't too keen on signing up to have their produce sold through DTDO. However, there ARE places that are successfully doing this. I guess it would depend on how receptive local farmers are to marketing their products this way... and what kind of deal they get from the local DTDO coordinator. Our local farmers need me more than DTDO does, so I've switched for the summer. But this is just what works for us.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

teachingmyown wrote:
Jenny,
You can get a lot of your staples from Amazon with free shipping. You can even subscribe to items based on how much you use and they will automatically (with email notice) ship it at assigned intervals. Not all the prices are better than the store (in my case Costco) but many are.

I don't do Walmart.

Molly, do you make full use of this? With the cost of gas (we live far from everything) and my kids getting older (read: busier), I am really interested in finding a better way to shop. Coop is not an option for me. I was knocking around the idea of Amazon for a good chunk of my dry goods, going to Costco 1ce a month or so, and then shopping locally for produce? Can I pick your brain? What kinds of things do you buy from Amazon?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I use the Subscribe and Save service through Amazon. It's the only way I find that their prices beat regular stores because you get an additional 15% off for subscribing and the shipping is always free with the service. I've gotten at various times: diapers, olive oil, maple syrup, batteries, vitamins, dish soap, coffee, and a couple drugstore items. It's great because they give you several days notice before shipping so its hard to overbuy. There is no committment and no penalty for dropping out so you can order something one time and then cancel (like if the price goes up as with my maple syrup).

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I used the on-line shopping after the birth of my 3rd child. I LOVED IT! LOVED IT! Then she grew and Walmart came to town. I should look at the difference in cost again!

Has anyone ever tried this: Dinner Savvy

Oh my!!! I think I just added a link correctly!

This Dinner Savvy is something that I have to admit I've snuffed without even looking into it.

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

I used to order grocieries online when I lived in New York City. The ironic thing is that in NYC I had EVERYTHING imaginable only walking distance away. Now I live in the burbs; a car drive to anything and I dont order online.
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Just an update on Door to Door Organics in case anyone was wanting to check them out after reading this thread.

We tried them for 3 deliveries, but I wasn't getting any local stuff as the coordinator had promised, so I canceled my subscription.

Last week, the coordinator e-mailed his subscribers saying he was leaving DTDO and getting into a similar business but no longer a franchise.

This week, the coordinator e-mailed his subscribers again saying our credit card information was kept by DTDO and that they (DTDO, not my local coordinator) have fraudulently charged our cards, twice.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of this matter yet but needless to say I am not pleased with what DTDO has done. I don't know *why* they would do this, our local coordinator has the theory that it's to "get back at him for leaving DTDO", but no idea if that's true or not.

Just wanted to leave a warning here. Buyer beware. They don't have all the kinks ironed out yet.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version