Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: savings from not using dryer? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 16 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

During the times that seem most harried, I will focus on getting things like sheets and blankets on the line. It really is worth the money for the 3 minutes it takes.

Plus, we also hang a lower line below the top line for the boys to use. My four year old loves hanging laundry and will do and entire basket of "short" things all by himself! So, I don't have to do it all alone, either.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

I never use the dryer during the summer. Hanging clothes on the line is 'my time'. I enjoy it. Outside, fresh air, peaceful - if the kids aren't yelling. If my mind doesn't wander, I offer a prayer for whomever the clothing belongs to. I started hanging clothes to save money and now I truly enjoy it.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

mimmyof5 wrote:
Hanging clothes on the line is 'my time'. I enjoy it. Outside, fresh air, peaceful - if the kids aren't yelling. If my mind doesn't wander, I offer a prayer for whomever the clothing belongs to. I started hanging clothes to save money and now I truly enjoy it.

Thank you for sharing, Janet.
The other day, I was thinking why I like hanging our clothes out and believe it's basically the same reason. The time is totally dedicated to the task. I'm not throwing a load of wash in the dryer and (literally) running off to the next task that needs to be completed.
It makes me slow down and count my blessings.

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

I don't have a basement and can't fathom where I'd hang things indoors for a northern Indiana winter -- even most of spring is so wet, we'd end up needing to dry most things indoors in spring as well as winter.

Does anyone do this who doesn't have a basement?
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

SimplyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote SimplyMom

When I wrote my last laundry article I found a little link that estimates the cost of running an appliance base on what you are charged in your locations. The data is about a year old, but I still find it useful.

Cost calculator

SimplyMom from Simply Catholic
Back to Top View SimplyMom's Profile Search for other posts by SimplyMom Visit SimplyMom's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Philothea -

I"ve hung clothes outside in Maryland summer weather, which I think is pretty much the same as Virginia, and never had a mildew smell problem. Sunshine is a great enemy of mildew, so maybe that explains it?

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

CandaceC wrote:
ok, I've been contemplating having my dh work on an outside line for us. I do have a silly question...we have a lot of birds - which we attract and feed for nature study - do any of you have problems with birds pooping on your clean clothes??

I have only had this happen once, when we had doves nesting literally inches away from the clothesline. And, it was only one article of clothing, not a whole lot to rewash in the grand scheme of things. I love my clothesline!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

hylabrook1 wrote:
Philothea -

I"ve hung clothes outside in Maryland summer weather, which I think is pretty much the same as Virginia, and never had a mildew smell problem. Sunshine is a great enemy of mildew, so maybe that explains it?

Peace,
Nancy

That's good to know! I'm glad someone with experience chimed in.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I hang mine out, and now I've got to say that I love it. The only times things get put into the dryer is when it is pouring rain...like it was this morning. I do two-three loads a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I definitely like to get my linens hung out there, the down, the featherbeds...Nothing like freshly washed and dried cotton sheets, snapped to on the bed, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ Makes me want to go snuggle in....

But hey, a penny saved is a penny saved. For the few moments it takes to hang the clothes out, vs the couple of dollars a day, I think I am coming out ahead. And I enjoy looking out and seeing my laundry on the lines, my chickens pecking up the seeds, hearing the geese honking and flapping their wings in excitement over the latest patch of fresh green grass to come into sight...its really delightful.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version