Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Am. Girl/I Can bracelets... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MEBarrett wrote:
Yes, we thought it was a great oppurtunity to raise money and have fun. Oh well.

The event is scheduled for Novemeber 5th and 6th. If you are planning to come protest, let me know. I'll bring you a cup of coffee.

Oh Mary Ellen! Glad to see you've kept your sense of humor. I'm praying with Bridget.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 17 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Does anybody have both a Vision Forum doll and an AG doll? How do they compare?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2005 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:
Does anybody have both a Vision Forum doll and an AG doll? How do they compare?

I do. We just received Liberty last week for my 6 yr old's birthday. She is *beautiful* and my older dd who already has an AG thinks so, too.   

They are the same size. The box that Liberty came in says "Gotz" in the corner. They made the original American Girls. Their faces are slightly different. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I think Liberty's features a bit softer than our AG.

The quality of the clothes on Liberty is excellent. I also like that the shoes she came in are a bit easier to put on than the AG shoes we have (the Mary Jane style straps are elasticized a bit). She has bloomers instead of underwear. Her dress is below the knee. I think Liberty's hair is slightly longer than our AG, but not significantly. Liberty's bangs seem to part a bit. Her bangs are rooted across the forehead whereas our AG doll has bangs that are rooted in the center and hang straight down. They both feel 'heavy' to pick up. They are jointed in the same places and appear to be constructed almost identically.

I don't think my 6 yr old noticed the difference, but she hasn't studied the AG catalogue, either.

I have no complaints about her. If AG discontinues their connection with Girls Inc, I might buy from them again, but the Vision Forum doll is just as lovely. I'm thinking of ordering some clothes from them. They have long nighties that I think are cheaper than the nightie Samantha (I think) wears.
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

We are boycotting AG at this point. I did tell our daughter, who's 10, and why, because she needed to know at this point. She frequents the AG website on her computer time, and now isn't able to go on it.

Sarah is heartbroken. She's just so sad. She LOVES her AG, and knowing she'll be ending her doll days before too long really makes it even more sad.

I did just show her the Vision Forum dolls, which I had heard about. I think they're a great alternative, providing wonderful materials for our children. They've spoken at our state homeschool convention, etc. and are a homeschooling family.

I'm so sorry for all those having these same feelings, like you're losing a good friend.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Apparently, AG is taking to pointing out that they are only designating funds for the development of athletics, for encouraging excellence in science and math, and for leadership development.   My problem with that is that I don't want leaders and scientists who are being influenced by pro-abortion, pro-contraception
propoganda...It's all mixed up together...

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I haven't really chimed in here because we have not been AG customers and only recently started reading the books. I never considered buying from them because, frankly, with four girls it just is not affordable. So, we have been spared the emotional cost that others are going through.

I wanted to comment on Elizabeth's last post, though. I had heard on another list that AG is earmarking the money from the bracelets for specific programs at Girls, Inc. I really feel that this does not make a difference. Money is still going into an organization that is at odds with what we believe. It is similar to the situation of the Susan Komen Foundation giving money to Planned Parenthood, but stating that the funds can only go toward mammograms and other screening. When it comes down to it, it is all one pot of money.

It is such a shame that things of true worth and value have to be muddied by such ugliness. Everyone wants to support encouraging girls to excel in academics and sports, etc, just as we all want to see poor women given access to mammograms. I long for the day when the money and the power moves out of the hands of the feminists and into the hands of those who will truly "empower" girls and women.

I do plan to let AG know that we are unhappy with their current stance and won't even buy their books.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

They really appear to be scrambling to do damage control. I have been checking in at the website regularly, and I can no longer find a direct link to "Girls, Inc."

Am I missing it -- anyone?

I do hope that when the year's agreement is up, AG will drop this like a hot potato. Not because they care about our message, but they *will* care about the dollars lost. It appears to me that right now they're trying to keep both sides happy -- assuring their "pro-choice" customers that they won't cave by dropping the affiliation, and trying to appease the rest of us with the designated giving and the drop of direct links. Oh, to live in a world without moral compromise for the sake of a dollar ....

For our family, the actual boycott is almost a moot point -- not because we don't love the dolls, but because I rarely purchase anything myself. My mother usually asks what the girls would like in the way of accessories and clothing for their dolls, and sends things for birthdays and Christmas. Now there's a conversation I'm not looking forward to having, so please pray for me. My pro-choice mom is probably pleased to see the Girls, Inc. affiliation. Sigh.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

[QUOTE=Karen E.] They really appear to be scrambling to do damage control. I have been checking in at the website regularly, and I can no longer find a direct link to "Girls, Inc."

Am I missing it -- anyone?

Now there's a conversation I'm not looking forward to having, so please pray for me. My pro-choice mom is probably pleased to see the Girls, Inc. affiliation. Sigh.
/QUOTE]

When you click on an item you might like to buy, the I Can bracelets are down below on the right hand side of the screen. I think before they were on the main page.

I am right there with you on that conversation, although I am not looking forward to having it with my mother in laws.

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

You can also do a search using "I can" at the AG website and it should pop up the page. Designating their contributions to the acceptable programs makes it even worse because this just frees up more of Girls Inc's money to go toward the other programs.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

marychris wrote:
When you click on an item you might like to buy, the I Can bracelets are down below on the right hand side of the screen. I think before they were on the main page.

Right, but here's what's changed, as far as I can find: the bracelets are still easy to find, but there's not a direct link to Girls, Inc. Last week, I could get from the website directly to Girls, Inc., to their entire mission statement, the whole shebang. Now, I think they've removed that so that girls can't stumble on to that. I think we have, with our outcry, made a wee bit of a difference.

marychris wrote:
I am right there with you on that conversation, although I am not looking forward to having it with my mother in laws.

I'll pray for you, too, MaryChris!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We heard a talk given by Eric Shiedler (spell?) of Pro Life Action League. He told us he has never gotten such vile and disgusting emails as over this issue. He says the "other side" is clearly not pleased we don't want this garbage propagated our daughters lives.

I feel for him that he has to read these types of emails (he is the father of five young daughters)...I am just thankful people are telling AG how they feel and touching a nerve in others!!!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I just received this list of direct contacts to voice concerns about American Girl from a local homeschooling friend. I haven't checked the addresses out, but thought it couldn't hurt to send my message along to all of them. This might be more powerful than just emailing AG from the website.

Mattel Chairman Bob Eckert - Jules.Andres@mattel.com
American Girl President Ellen Brothers - ellen.brothers@americangirl.com
Public Relations Susan Jevens - susan.jevens@americangirl.com

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Hi everyone!
     I just wanted to write to mention that I saw a short blurb of a story on Fox News in the 1:00 hour (during Dayside) about the American Girl controversy. It’s beginning to get a bit of national attention.

That show has an audience. The first person said that the *abortion issue* is just a small part of what Girls Inc. is all about, reiterated by the person telling the story.

Then the person they ended the segment with said *There is NO excuse to the taking of a human life* (or something like that), and they said, So you agree then with those who are upset? And he said, Yes! And the person who was reporting also said, yes, that's what people are saying who are upset about this.

I just wanted to mention that this is beginning to get attention, so we must be having some kind of affect. Even if people don’t agree, at least they see people standing up for the unborn, and making a difference, and that’s what we’re called to do!

GREAT JOB!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

Blessings and Peace,
Tracy Q.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, I changed my mind and ended up telling my girls about the situation with AG after all. I had forgotten about the new Elizabeth doll and how interested the girls would be in the new colonial clothes. They have been bringing up their desire to receive AG stuff for Christmas more and more often, so I realized I had better come out and let them know what was going on, so they wouldn't have expectations for Christmas that won't be fulfilled. They were disappointed, but understanding. My 7yo wanted to know if Santa could make something exactly like what she wanted from AG, so she could still receive it. I told her that if Santa brings doll clothes, I'm afraid they won't be exactly the same as the AG ones.

On the upside, I checked the AG site the other day to see if anything had changed. They have really minimized the "I Can" program it seems. It is still there, but nothing draws your attention to it from the homepage, and I had to look for it. I really hope they have realized their mistake.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I told my dd about it last night. She also has been hoping for Elizabeth.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

About ten days ago, I got a note from AG saying they'd received my column and links to places it was publsihed and that they would get back to me soon. I still haven't heard a word. In the meantime, people have been sending me the responses they get. Most are like the ones posted here. Today however, someone sent me this. I think there is an entirely different tone:

Dear Ms. Mc

Thank you for your letter expressing your disappointment with American
Girl?s affiliation with Girls Inc. We apologize for the delayed response
and appreciate the opportunity to reply to your concerns.

American Girl has always encouraged young girls to achieve their best.
The ?I CAN? program is one of the many philanthropic endeavors
undertaken by our company. Our goal with ?I CAN? is to help millions of
girls realize that they are unique, talented, and full of amazing
possibilities?while reinforcing the idea that helping others achieve is
also an important part of life.

Donations raised through I CAN support three distinct programs offered
by Girls Inc., our 2005 benefit partner. One builds skills in math and
science (Operation SMART®), another develops leadership skills
(Discovery Leadership®), and a third encourages athletic skills and a
collaborative spirit (Sporting Chance®). All of these aims are
appropriate to our 7- to 12-year-old audience and allow us to make a
significant impact on numerous girls in high-risk, underserved areas.

We are profoundly disappointed that our purely altruistic efforts have
been turned into a broader political statement on issues that we, as a
corporation, have no position. As with all of the thousands of nonprofit
organizations we support, our singular objective is to make a meaningful
and positive difference in the lives of all young girls. This is?and
will always be?our priority.

We hope this information helps provide a better understanding of the
situation. Please be assured that we have noted your comments, and
thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Sincerely,

American Girl® Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-845-0005 or 608-831-5210
Fax: 608-828-4790
Available Monday - Sunday 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Central Time

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Yesterday we received our catalog. I took both the Catalog order card and the magazine subscription card and mailed them back postage paid with the message "Please stop all donations to Girls Inc." on them.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Gwen, great idea, I think I'll do this too. I've told my daughter that AG has made a very bad decision by supporting a company that isn't teaching girls how to be girls and left it at that. She was totally fine with no other explanation and actually didn't want me to tell her what the "Bad" things were (which I probably wouldn't have anyway).

So time to start sewing all those 18" doll patterns up that have been sitting since the little prince was born

It seems as though our efforts have been working!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Elizabeth wrote:
We are profoundly disappointed that our purely altruistic efforts have
been turned into a broader political statement on issues that we, as a
corporation, have no position. As with all of the thousands of nonprofit
organizations we support, our singular objective is to make a meaningful
and positive difference in the lives of all young girls. This is?and
will always be?our priority.

Well, I wrote to American Girls way back and have NOT received a response either but when I read this part of the letter I couldn't help but think, "How could they have NOT seen this coming?"

This doesn't sit right with me. It smells of spin...

Just thinking,
Maria

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

The problem is that the AG company is getting more support from the "other side" of this issue than they are getting complaints. When my AG rep told me that they were appalled at the controversy and that as soon as it was reported they began receiving lots of support I check some feminists weblogs. It is true. They are also getting support in the form of good press from Planned Parenthood. Another factor is that some lesbian website was encouraging people to buy the bracelets in bulk since they are only $1. According to my rep, those stupid things are selling like hot cakes.

I found it incredibly disappointing that my parish didn't pull out of the fashion show we are holding in spite of the financial considerations. I was pretty unpopular for a few days. I think it is a shame that Catholics are willing to overlook these things in oder that their children can be "trendy" or with the "in" crowd or whatever other idiotic reason.

The prevailing notion was that since everyone (meaning largae corporations) donates to something objectionable there is really nothing we can do about it.

How sad.

We could if all Catholics just voiced their objections as loudly as they could. My parish alone has over 25,000 members. That is a significant noise if thye chose to raise thier voices together.

As it is, the silence is deafening....

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version