Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Am. Girl/I Can bracelets... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Here is a site that was started in order to take a positive appraoch to influence the AG corp. Let Girls Be Girls

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Bridget,

Thank you for the link to Let Girls Be Girls. I think they have a great idea!

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I just looked at the Vision Forum site. I could not find anything blatantly anti-Cathoic there, either, as someone else already mentioned. The Beautiful Girlhood dolls ARE really nice, too! And you can wash their hair (a huge plus for one of my dd's who loves to wash dolls' hair). The clothing to go with the dolls is also very pretty, and I like the fact that since the Beautiful Girlhood dolls are the same size as the AG dolls, the AG doll clothes we already have would fit them. In the event that AG does not change its mind about Girls, Inc., Vision Forum may be a company worth considering as a source for dolls. At least it gives us another option.

God bless!

Jenny
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

This is all so sad. The thing I find odd, though, is that Let Girls Be Girls is not advocating a boycott. They want to encourage AG to do the right thing, which I think is great! BUT, I think that's being overly optimistic about the business world. I know I'm a skeptic, but to simply write a letter and not back it up with action will mean nothing--as much as I would hope and pray otherwise, I'm just being realistic. What do you all think? I don't WANT to boycott AG because we do love it and my daughter plays, reads or talks about something AG every day, but I don't want to be a hypocrite either.

Oh, and I go to tuck her into bed last night and she pulls out her saints book--she'd been reading about Maria Goretti. The little challenge at that section of the book is to write a letter to a company if you oppose their business practices (or that was the jist of it anyway). It opened up a discussion of the I CAN issue (she saw the bracelet in the catalog and thought it was cool), along with a major issue with a local big-time shopping mall here in the D.C. area. It was very difficult to explain it in 9yo terms without chipping away at her innocence. What are you all telling your girls?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Molly Smith wrote:
It opened up a discussion of the I CAN issue (she saw the bracelet in the catalog and thought it was cool), along with a major issue with a local big-time shopping mall here in the D.C. area. It was very difficult to explain it in 9yo terms without chipping away at her innocence. What are you all telling your girls?

Good question, Molly. I am not telling my girls anything about the local Victoria Secret situation, although I am writing and passing the word along. (See Washington Post article here -- I've been told that it's actually much worse than the article describes! Please contact VS too, if you feel so inclined.)

I am torn about whether to say anything to my girls about AG, however. We won't be making a planned AG purchase for Christmas after all now, but I don't have to let the children know about that. Ever since I read that awful statement at Girls, Inc. my feelings toward our American Girls dolls have changed. I now have emotions attached to the previously treasured dolls that I wish I did not have. I don't think I want to color my children's attitudes toward their beloved dolls that were purchased long before this sad development. I am leaning toward not saying anything for now. I might change my mind at some point, but I'd like to see what AG does with all the responses they are receiving in the meantime.

Btw, I received one of those canned responses too. And that was after letting them know that they had already lost a Christmas order from me.   Have all of you encouraged other moms you know to write to AG? I really think they will only give in if the negative response is huge.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

teachingmom wrote:
[

I am leaning toward not saying anything for now. I might change my mind at some point, but I'd like to see what AG does with all the responses they are receiving in the meantime.

Btw, I received one of those canned responses too. And that was after letting them know that they had already lost a Christmas order from me.   Have all of you encouraged other moms you know to write to AG? I really think they will only give in if the negative response is huge.

Last week, when this came up on the AG magazine thread, I wrote too, and I received the same canned response that we all seem to be getting.

Molly, I understand your skepticism, but I really think that if they are inundated with negative responses, they might reconsider. They didn't count on so many of their customers being vocal *and* pro-life. I think we should pressure, pressure, pressure and keep the heat on. This is worth the fight. AG has been a place where my girls can be "just girls" and I really want it to stay that way. It just might, if enough of us make our voices heard.

Irene, I, too, am choosing not to say anything to my girls yet. I'll wait and see.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My cat's out of the bag. Mary Beth heard me talking to my editor this morning. Here's my stab at drumming up more pressure.I'm writing in a fog today and kind of wish I'd had more time...

Every night, when I put my daughters to sleep, I snuggle next to them under the pink, rose-festooned canopy over their bed. We talk about all sorts of things and I stay until they drift off. During the quiet time before the blanket of sleep envelopes my little girls, I gaze through the semi-darkness at the dolls on the shelves opposite the bed. The dolls are lined up after a day of play, a beautiful, tangible testimony to the innocence of girlhood.

They are American Girl dolls and they are an integral part of feminine childhood in our home. Some of the dolls were acquired on trips with Daddy to American Girl Place in New York and Chicago. Some were the single gift left under the tree for a little girl on Christmas morning. The dolls have afforded my girls hours of imaginative play alone, together and with friends. The beauty and the richness of the accessories inspire girls to play with dolls long after one would expect them to have moved on to more “mature” playthings. Usually, I look at those dolls and think about all that’s right with my daughters’ lives.

On this night though, the same dolls bring tears to my eyes. I’m contemplating American Girl’s new partnership. American Girl has launched a new campaign, with a popular rubber bracelet just for girls. Called the “I Can Bracelet,” it is sold on the American Girl website with an ad and the assurance that “American Girl will give 70 cents for every dollar of “I CAN” band sales, plus a $50,000 donation, to Girls Inc.®, a national organization dedicated to inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold.” TM The problem is that Girls Inc. threatens both the innocence and the morality of our daughters.

With regard to reproductive freedom for girls, part of the expressed mission statement of Girls, Inc. is: To make responsible decisions about sexuality, pregnancy and parenthood, girls need and have a right to sensitive, truthful sexuality education; convenient access to safe, effective methods of contraception and protection from disease; and referral to comprehensive information, counseling, clinical and other services that support their responsible decisions…We recognize the right of all women to choose whether, when, and under what circumstances to bear children. Reproductive freedom and responsibility are essential to other rights and opportunities, including pursuit of education, employment, financial security and a stable and fulfilling family life. Restrictions of reproductive choice are especially burdensome for young women and poor women. Girls Incorporated supports a woman’s freedom of choice, a constitutional right established by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1973 in Roe vs. Wade.

Continuing along the mission page, there are links to resources to aid a girl in the exploration of sexual orientation and they state that “The emergence of a lesbian identity is an ongoing process, rather than an event.”
So much for spending time online with my daughter at Americangirl.com, planning tea parties and compiling Christmas wishlists. The page of innocence is no more. Any web-savvy eight-year-old can find her way from the American Girl page to Girlsinc.com, though our blocking software won’t allow her there alone. Ironically, the content of Girlsinc.com isn’t suitable for girls.
My little girls settled into sleep, I step from the bed and stumble over a Bitty Baby. The first American Girl doll we ever had, this is “Baby Jimmy,” given to Mary Beth when she was two by our friend, Jim. Baby Jimmy, along with several other Bitty Babies, has been tenderly loved in our home. Just a few days ago, my three-year-old held Baby Jimmy on her lap, with one each of the Bitty Twins in a toy high chair and a rocking infant seat. As she rocked the seat with her foot, she pretended to nurse Baby Jimmy. She was just a little girl in a pro-life home, practicing for the day when she will embrace the culture of life. And it was a tender moment. The baby dolls are as beautiful as the eighteen inch dolls. The curve of a cheek, the purse of the lips, attention to detail make them sweet babies for little girls to love. Apparently, though, American Girl is only nurturing a love of plastic dolls. The company does not encourage a love of real babies, nor do they concern themselves with the rights of unborn girls to life, the rights of little girls to innocence or the rights of us all to hold on to a toy that is “good, desirable and of good report.”
Please join the many, many parents who are expressing their outrage and disappointment to American Girl. Call American Girl at 1-800-360-1861 or email from this page: http://www.americangirl.com/emailus/index.html
Maybe, together, we can all reclaim a little bit of joy and innocence in the lives of our little girls.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have not yet told my daughter about what is happening at AG. I am not going to let her visit the website. I am still trying to decide if I throw away the next catalog that comes or tear out the page with the I Can bracelet and send it back to AG with a note.

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Some of you may be aware that I am currently the chairperson of an American Girl Fashion Show that is being hosted as a fundraiser for my parish and another parish. The news of the partnership has horrified those of us involved with the show and has the Pastors of both parishes struggling with our involvement. Not only have many, many hours of hard work gone into planning this event but there is a significant financial commitment involved. One which can not afford to be dismissed.

Today, after many attempts to get in touch with her, I spoke directly to my representative at American Girl. They too are appalled by the fall-out from their decision. One would have thought they would have seen this coming but no, they are shocked that people object to Girls Inc. My rep told me that they chose Girls Inc because it is an organization with a 140 year history of supporting girls and their achievments. She told me that GIrls Inc is supported by many mainstream organizations such as WalMart, Kraft and Johnson&Johnson. I informed her that those "mainstream" organizations were all whopping big contributors to Planned Parenthood and other anti-life organizations that are at odds with our faith. I told her this was a HUGE problem for those of us aligning our good names and money with American Girl, that we trusted them to continue to espouse healthy values and morals for young girls. I told her that they would be better off spending their money on actually helping people directly through organizations like the Red Cross or Catholic Charities or starting their own foundation to help young women without involving Girls Inc and its political agenda.

She left me with the comment that American Girl does not take a position on the Girls Inc Advocacy policy but they are currently rethinking their partnership with Girls Inc. She also said that they are getting as much support from people who are thrilled about the partnership as they are getting flack from people who hate it.

I mentioned to her that homeschool families tend to have many children and that very few of them would be buying dolls this Christmas. I mentioned their competitor Vision FOrum and those nice dolls and I made sure she knew that since this was affecting my ticket sales it was unlikely I was going to pay the bill they just sent me.

Keep your emails and calls coming. I have a strong feeling this will be resolved soon and in our favor.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Elizabeth wrote:
My cat's out of the bag. Mary Beth heard me talking to my editor this morning. Here's my stab at drumming up more pressure.I'm writing in a fog today and kind of wish I'd had more time...

Every night, when I put my daughters to sleep, I snuggle next to them under the pink, rose-festooned canopy over their bed.

Brilliant and beautiful, as always, Elizabeth. Thank you for hitting the nail right on the head.

Mary Ellen, I am glad to hear you have a positive feeling about the way this may turn out. The first thing my children said when I told them about AG's affilitation with Girls, Inc. and its problems was a glum, "I guess this means no American Girl party . . . ."

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Elizabeth wrote:
Here's my stab at drumming up more pressure.I'm writing in a fog today and kind of wish I'd had more time...

Elizabeth,

It's perfect. Don't change a thing. I'll be passing it on to friends ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I've been away from Real Learning for a week or so and had not seen this thread but received an email from AFA yesterday or the day before and posted on CCM about it, so I've just been catching up on everything here tonight. Elizabeth, that was a great article, very eloquent.
Am the only one who is also creeped out by the "I Can" bracelet, etc.? I understand what they mean by it (empowering young women) but I keep hearing the Charlotte Mason refrain "I can, I ought, I will" or whatever the exact phrase is.
I had shied away from AG in the past mostly b/c of the cost, and dd being only a preschooler, was perfectly happy with her Fisher Price baby doll. Until her 4th birthday last month, when MIL sent her a Bitty Baby and several outfits. MIL always buys gifts WAY ahead of time and has said she already has all of Kathleen's Christmas presents. I'm sure there are all kinds of clothes or accessories for this doll. I want to let her know about AG but if she's already gotten them I'm only going to make her feel bad. If I tell her after Christmas, of course, that might be even worse. And knowing her, she may have outfits for *next* birthday already as well!
karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Wow, Elizabeth, that was fast--your article is already up on Catholic Exchange!! I do so hope that it will create enough of an outcry to influence AG!! Thank you for putting into words what we all are thinking and feeling. You have a gift!

After Mary Ellen's post, I feel so encouraged that we might really be able to make a difference here. Thanks to you too, Mary Ellen, for being so frank with your AG rep.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

A friend sent this to me this morning...Seems it might become a huge media issue...

Groups Threaten to Boycott American Girl
By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
Fri Oct 14, 9:45 PM

NEW YORK - American Girl, manufacturer of a highly popular line of dolls and
children's books, has become the target of conservative activists
threatening a boycott unless the toy maker cuts off contributions to a youth
organization that supports abortion rights and acceptance of lesbians.

The protest is directed at an ongoing American Girl campaign in which
proceeds from sales of a special "I Can" wristband help support educational
and empowerment programs of Girls Inc., a national nonprofit organization
which describes its mission as "inspiring girls to be strong, smart and
bold."

American Girl, whose often patriotic products have long had a loyal
following among conservatives, issued a statement Friday defending its
support of Girls Inc. and assailing the protest campaign.

"We are profoundly disappointed that certain groups have chosen to
misconstrue American Girl's purely altruistic efforts and turn them into a
broader political statement on issues that we, as a corporation, have no
position," the statement said.

The Mississippi-based American Family Association, in a campaign launched
Wednesday, is urging its members to demand that American Girl halt support
for Girls Inc., which it called "a pro-abortion, pro-lesbian advocacy
group."

"Let American Girl know they are making a terrible mistake," AFA chairman
Don Wildmon said in a statement. The AFA says it has more than 2.2 million
members.

The Pro-Life Action League, a Chicago-based anti-abortion group, also is
asking supporters to contact American Girl to express dismay. The league's
executive director, Ann Scheidler, said her organization might call for a
boycott of American Girl's products and organize picketing at its stores in
Chicago and New York if the company doesn't sever ties with Girls Inc.

"Parents need to know that this effort to promote self-esteem among girls is
not as innocent as it seems," Scheidler said. "While Girls Inc. has some
good programs, they also support abortion, oppose abstinence-only education
for girls, and condone lesbianism."

American Girl, a subsidiary of Mattel Inc., said the "I Can" initiative
supports three specific Girls Inc. programs _ building girls' skills in
science and math, developing leadership skills, and encouraging athletic
skills and team spirit.

"All of these aims are appropriate to our 7- to 12-year-old American Girl
fans," the company said. "The American Girl brand exemplifies the values of
wholesomeness and responsibility that we would expect any organization to
commend."

Girls Inc., which traces its roots back to a center founded in Waterbury,
Conn., in 1864, serves about 800,000 girls a year, many of them black or
Hispanic and most from low-income families.

The "advocacy" page on its Web site lists some of the positions that roused
conservative ire _ for example a clear endorsement the 1973 Roe v. Wade
court decision establishing a woman's right to abortion.

Girls Inc. also supports a girl's right to have access to contraception and
pledges support for girls dealing with issues of sexual orientation.

Joyce Roche, the president of Girls Inc., said the New York-based
organization had never before been targeted by a protest campaign.

"We were taken aback," she said in a telephone interview Friday. "Our
programs are well-respected. We're all about helping girls see possibilities
and dream big dreams."

She said Girls Inc. takes positions on public policy issues if it believes
women's rights and opportunities are at stake. "Our philosophy is that women
should have the right to make decisions about themselves," Roche said.

One of the protest coordinators, American Family Association special
projects director Randy Sharp, said the campaign was noteworthy because
American Girl's products have long been favored by conservatives. Its dolls
(full-sized models sell for more than $80) include a series from different
eras of American history _ such as Felicity, from the Revolutionary War, or
Addy, who escapes from slavery during the Civil War.

"American Girl has won the trust of millions of conservative families,"
Sharp said. "It's very popular among the home school movement because of the
values the company followed."

"Now we find they're teaming up with Girls Inc., which supports the very
things we oppose. It's very troubling."

Sharp said the AFA was not yet ready to call for a boycott, but he predicted
that many conservative families _ including his own _ would be reluctant to
keep buying American Girl products. "I think no question this will have a
financial impact on American Girl," he said

Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My goodness, my inbox is already flooded with people writing to tell me they wrote to AG! Let's hope they can right the wrongs in time for Christmas. BTW, I sent the column itself (and a list of publications and websites that will run it) to AG. Wonder if I'll get the same canned response?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Elizabeth, an amazing article! I sent it to my AG rep. She tells me that AG made a year long commitment to Girls Inc and that while they are "re-thinkining" their connection nothing is likely to change until next September. Hopefully she is wrong.

MEanwhile the NY Post printed an article today about this as well. I know this because when I got the computer up and running after the flood damage was contained, about 19 people had sent it to me.

Apparantly there is talk of a protest happening at the Fashion Show I am running. If anyone had ever told me I'd be running an event that pro-lifers were protesting I would have thought they were nuts. I have been a protester! I belong on the other side of the line!

Seriously, I am at a loss as to what to do. There are people (including my Pastor) counting on me and there has been a large financial outlay for this.

This is a nightmare.

O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
Let's hope they can right the wrongs in time for Christmas.

That would be wonderful - but it may just take getting through the Christmas buying season for AG to see how big of an impact this could have on them during what is the biggest sales time of the year for them. If they take a huge hit during the biggest shopping season they will have to really look at this. Like Alice said on CCM, she was already buying Christmas presents (And refused the shipment) - this is when many people are starting Christmas shopping so the impact may start to be felt more deeply, more quickly than it would have been another time of year. Let's hope.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

MEBarrett wrote:

Apparantly there is talk of a protest happening at the Fashion Show I am running. If anyone had ever told me I'd be running an event that pro-lifers were protesting I would have thought they were nuts. I have been a protester! I belong on the other side of the line!

Seriously, I am at a loss as to what to do. There are people (including my Pastor) counting on me and there has been a large financial outlay for this.

This is a nightmare.

Mary Ellen,

When is the fashion show scheduled? I'm sorry, this should have been so much fun.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Yes, we thought it was a great oppurtunity to raise money and have fun. Oh well.

The event is scheduled for Novemeber 5th and 6th. If you are planning to come protest, let me know. I'll bring you a cup of coffee.

O Night Divine

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

No, I was planning to pray.

Probably, the best you can do is follow the advice of your pastor on this,

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version