Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture book discoveries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I had to post about a beautiful picture book I found yesterday at Barnes and Noble. It's called All Things Bright and Beautiful.

The words of that 1848 ode are lovely of course, but the illustrations in this rendition -- vibrant watercolors -- are gorgeous!! I thought it was a nice book for this time of year.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

It looks wonderful! I just ordered it, along with a bunch of other stuff, of course!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

On our trip to the art museum this week, we bought The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon by Jacqueline Davies, ill by Melissa Sweet.

An aside: I just had a nightmare that Amazon died and all these great links were left as little blue "this"es.    That's why I'm putting the whole thing down.

Here's an Amazon review that did it more justice than I can:
The Boy Who Drew Birds is one of those rare picture books that appeals to all ages. Young collectors will marvel when reading that Audubon's "Every shelf, every tabletop, every spare inch of floor, was covered with nests and eggs and tree branches and pebbles and lichen and feathers and stuffed birds . . ." Young artists may be shocked to discover that each year, on his birthday, John James removed the drawings on his wall that he had completed in the past 12 months, and burned them in the fireplace. All will be inspired by Audubon's inquisitiveness, his exploration of bird habits, and his ability to follow his passions (not to mention Melissa Sweet's amazing art). A beautifully written, gorgeous book!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just found the cutest book and put it aside for next month ~ The Mother's Day Mice with illustrations by Jan Brett.

It is so lovely! The story is sweet and meaningful, and the artwork is typical of Jan Brett - gorgeous - with so many interesting details on every page.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

We love, love, love The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night, by Peter Spier. We have read it approximately 3 million times (slightly exaggerated).

We also like the music by Nickel Creek, and they have a wonderful recording of The Fox on their first album.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Another book we have been enjoying over and over is A Pirate's Tale. The children have been dressing as pirates and using our lounge chairs in the back yard as pirate ships! They were thrilled to find out that the theme for our parish Fiesta this year is "Buccaneer Bash," and wanted to know if they could dress as pirates when we attend.

For those of you who know "The Sloop John B." as the song by The Beach Boys, as I do, you will sing this book, rather than read it.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

LisaD wrote:

For those of you who know "The Sloop John B." as the song by The Beach Boys, as I do, you will sing this book, rather than read it.
-- I'm out the door now to see if the libary has this one

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote mary

Rachel May wrote:
On our trip to the art museum this week, we bought The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon by Jacqueline Davies, ill by Melissa Sweet.

An aside: I just had a nightmare that Amazon died and all these great links were left as little blue "this"es.    That's why I'm putting the whole thing down.

Here's an Amazon review that did it more justice than I can:
The Boy Who Drew Birds is one of those rare picture books that appeals to all ages. Young collectors will marvel when reading that Audubon's "Every shelf, every tabletop, every spare inch of floor, was covered with nests and eggs and tree branches and pebbles and lichen and feathers and stuffed birds . . ." Young artists may be shocked to discover that each year, on his birthday, John James removed the drawings on his wall that he had completed in the past 12 months, and burned them in the fireplace. All will be inspired by Audubon's inquisitiveness, his exploration of bird habits, and his ability to follow his passions (not to mention Melissa Sweet's amazing art). A beautifully written, gorgeous book!

thank you! my son is an avid birder and budding artist and he will love this book.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
LisaD wrote:

-- I'm out the door now to see if the libary has this one

It didn't! We moved out here with my inlaws and their library is really pitiful....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Rachel May wrote:

Rachel, I bought this book last summer at Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water gift store. What a great find (both the book and the store!). We also found a nice coffee table book of JJA's work to complement the story. Thanks for reminding me to strew it them about the house...just in time for bird season!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just thought I'd mention a book we found last weekend: Pirates, Ships and Sailors, a reprint of a 1950 Golden Book. Really nice poems and stories for younger children about well, pirates, ships and sailors! It's perfect for my 6yo pirate wannabe. And I love the old-fashioned illustrations.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Dear Ladies,

(I'm sorry to jump back in here....I have been "off" for a time due to many factors but mostly computer/internet use problems. I introduced myself a year ago in Fireside Chat.)

Planning for Catholic Mosaic has brought to my mind some religious picture books we absolutely love for the pre-school members (well....for all of us). My little ones want to read them over and over. I had to share these while I have a moment:

Can you find Followers of Jesus?
Can you find Bible Heroes?
Can you find Saints?
Can you find Jesus?

all by Philip D. Gallery

******We are floored by these books....the excellent but simple Catechetical content combined with beautiful, vibrant illustrations combined with search-the-illustration learning.

The 7 Days of Creation
Noah's Crew came by 2 by 2
9 Fruits Alive
Jesus and the 12 Dudes who Did

by Mindy MacDonald

*******These are all in simple rhyming verse (now even I have the fruits of the Spirit memorized!) with raised bumpy plastic cut-out-of-the-book figures of created objects/animals/fruits/apostle faces--- respectively, on each page for the baby/child to touch. My one year-old likes them for this reason.

Two notes: NIV Bible translation (not bad, really!) and in the Dudes book John has a beard, Bartholomew and Thaddeus have white hair (I don't know why it bugs me...but why *them*?), and there is no mention of Peter having primacy (but respect is paid to him for his teachings/walking on water). BUT....of course, it is a baby book and it IS really cute and my little ones know all 12 Apostles now!

Check them out for fun Bible Education for toddlers!

I'd Be Your Hero
I'd Be Your Princess

by Kathryn O'Brien

**********Wonderful in every way.

Now for one of my favorites:

Oscar Wilde's The Selfish Giant

retold by Fiona Waters

****** This has quite a bit of text but such a wonderful lesson and stunning illustrations that the little ones will sit still to listen. I love that this illustrated version (and I have read several of them) has the little child Jesus with pierced hands and feet (not graphic...more like red dots).   It is very touching and gets us every time. Excellent.

Miriam and Her Brother Moses

by Jean Marzollo

********irresistable, fun, unique

God's blessings to all my fellow book-obsessees!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Nina,
These sound great! I am going to have to check out the "Can you find..." books for sure! Are these and the others widely available (like at Amazon), or is there a specific publisher to order from?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Here are the links for the books I mentioned:

Can you find Followers of Jesus?
Can you find Bible Heroes?
Can you find Saints?
Can you find Jesus?
7 Days of Creation
Noah's Crew came by 2 by 2
9 Fruits Alive
Jesus and the 12 Dudes who Did
I'd Be Your Hero
I'd Be Your Princess
Oscar Wilde's The Selfish Giant
Miriam and Her Brother Moses

I'm sorry I didn't do these links before. My son just showed me how to do it!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Because I'm on roll tonight linking to Amazon (I finally figured out the short way to do it!!), I thought I'd post about three sweet books I found at the library:

The Old Woman Who Loved to Read
a sweet book about an old women, a farm, lots of animals, and a cute ending - gorgeous illustrations!

We Were Tired of Living in a House
a fun book about three siblings who set off to find a new place to live, all in various nature settings (a tree, a pond, a cave, and the seashore) until they discover that home is really best

Basket
three generations of women, a basket and a sweet ending
(* there were tons of books about baskets or with basket in the title when I searched Amazon for you basket lovers!!!)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 22 2006 at 3:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
We Were Tired of Living in a House
a fun book about three siblings who set off to find a new place to live, all in various nature setting (a tree, a pond, a cave, and the seashore) until they discover that home is really best

I loved this book as a child! It looks like a newly illlustrated version - I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Erica.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I just love Emma by Wendy Kesselman, illustrated by Barbara Cooney. It is now OOP, as best as I can tell.

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

A couple of really fantastic picture books that we have discovered are Crawdad Creek by Scott Russell Sanders and Wild Fox: A True Story by Cherie Mason.

We read them several years ago (I checked my reviews on Amazon, it was 1998 and 2000! Now I feel old ). They have paperback versions available now, but we read the hardcovers.

They both have beautiful illustrations and the stories are pretty good too.

I will have to see if they have them here at the local library so I can read them to Sam and Jack.

Happy Discovering,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I have a couple of books to add here...

Sleeping Dragons All Around is a fun poetic story with lots of rhythm and flow. It's very peaceful sounding until the end when the narrator becomes very upset with the dragons (those "burstein-bellied beasts") for eating her "mocha, maple, chocolate cake"! Lots of repeat reading of that one...

Also, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales is really popular with my boys. I suppose that some would consider it twaddle (judging by the reviews) but, read with tongue planted firmly in cheek and all the silly voices you can muster, it's really pretty funny.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We love stinky cheese man!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version