Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture book discoveries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 29 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Molly Smith wrote:
We recently checked out The Full Belly Bowl by Jim Ayelsworth and now my children can't eat anything out of a bowl without talking about this story. Basically, a man performs a good deed and is rewarded, with the caveat that his reward could become a burden if used incorrectly. It was a fun read. Darn, I don't think the link worked.

I took out the extra http:// so I think it will work now. I've had that happen to me before too where it goes to Microsoft instead of the link I wanted to make!
The Full Belly Bowl

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2005 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We recently have been reading and reading anything by Steven Kellog. Prehistoric Pinkerton might be one of our new family favorites.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Here's one of the prettiest pricture books I've seen in a long time -- My First Garden -- it seems to be OOP , but you might be able to get it at your library.

It's an "apparently" autobiography of life growing up in a small Polish town and how a boy grows a garden to brighten things up. But it is so much more than that. The pictures are beautiful with lots of details that makes it fun for the kids to just look at. The houses in town are the cream-and red roofed townhouse with the greens of the plants, and the river flowing by......

It's a great circle story as it starts out with the boy waiting for his dad by the train tracks and then comes full circle to the man seeing his son waiting for him and talking about his son's first garden.

A really lovely, living book.

Enjoy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote almamater

Mary, We LOVE this book as well. I have seen many copies locally at our Half Price Books stores.

A book that my daughters in particular truly enjoy is "Dahlia." This delightful story depicts a girl from the nineteenth century who loves the outdoors. Her aunt sends her a beautiful porcelain doll dressed in fancy clothes. The girl thinks she has no place for such a doll in her room decorated with various nature collections. She and her worn teddy take the doll outside for a day of wagon races, mud pies, etc. The little girl ends up loving this doll and her great aunt has a surprising response to the sight of the tattered doll. A genuinely delightful tale!!

~jennifer in austin

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Now I want to try out the directions I just found for posting a link the fancy way. Dahlia

Soulful Learning

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

almamater wrote:
Now I want to try out the directions I just found for posting a link the fancy way. Here is a link to Dahlia

Let's see if it works...

You've got the basics - it isn't linking though as the letters "url" are in front of the http. You can go into your message above to edit and remove the "url" letters. Since I quoted your message I have access to edit it in my quoted message. If you try the link in the quotes above you'll see that it links when the "url" is deleted.
Clear as mud?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Got it! Thank you, Mary!

Soulful Learning

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2005 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

almamater wrote:
Got it!
Yup - it works.

And we just checked out Dahlia today for a bedtime story tonight. It was really cute.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We discovered two new books at the library.

Mother , Mother, I Want Another by Maria Polushkin Robbins

A little mouse needs another good night kiss. I just love sweet simple stories about a mother's love. They always make me !!

Flying Feet a story of Irish dance by Anna Marlis Burgard

Since my ds spends so much car time taking his cousin to Irish dancing, it seems relevant to help him learn what actually she does at class. My niece loved the book herself.

God bless,

Marybeth

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Little Peahas to eat all his candy before he can have veggies. This is such a cute story! The 2-3 yr. old crowd will certainly get a kick out of it.

Marybeth

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2005 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I think this is a neat thread so I'm going to bump it up with a new discovery from this weekend:

If a Bus Could Talk by Ruth Ringgold

My father-in-law brought it down when he came to visit, and it has started many interesting conversations (including one on "passing" from my 6 yo). It is basically a biography of Rosa Parks and has bright engaging pictures for my littler ones to feast on when the text was too long for them.

I decided to use it as a starting point for Black History Month (Feb). We'll do a narration on this book, memorize some of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech, listen to civil rights movement songs (my FIL is sending a CD), go to a local museum exhibit, and solicit stories of experiences with prejudice, segregation, the civil rights movement etc from family members. Since some of the family members are older, I don't want to lose any stories they may be willing to tell.   

I'm pretty excited about it (as is DH which never happens), and this book started the whole idea.

BTW, while I was writing this, DC got out of bed to ask if we could get a book on the Mars Rover. Any suggestions?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
I think this is a neat thread so I'm going to bump it up with a new discovery from this weekend:

If a Bus Could Talk by Ruth Ringgold

I wonder if Ruth Ringgold is any relation to Faith Ringgold, the artist? I was able to pick up O Holy Night last year for 50% off after Christmas.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Oops! You are right it is Faith Ringgold.   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Just read three wonderful books from the library........and two of them include Catholic scenes!

The Legend of the Christmas Rose retold by Ellin Greene

Lady Muck by William Mayne.........great illustrations and what fun with words! VERY FUNNY!

They Were Strong and Good by Robert Lawson.......what a neat story about his ancestors! Kids will love the goodness! I love Lawson's books!

Till another time..........

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Thanks, Chari--
I just put all 3 books on hold at my library!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Chari wrote:
They Were Strong and Good by Robert Lawson.......what a neat story about his ancestors! Kids will love the goodness! I love Lawson's books!

I LOVE this book! I need to find a copy to read to my ds. I took Children's Lit in College and this is the Caldecott Award book I chose to present and analyze.

I'm with you Chari, I love Lawson's books! I'm drawn to the black and white illustrations for some reason.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

My children and I really enjoy nice picture books. Here are a few of our favorites that fit well with nature studies:

Bear Wakes Up by Karma Wilson
It's about a bear who is awakened from his hibernation by other forest critters during a winter storm. Great rhyming and illustrations.

Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson
Same bear and his forest friends, but this time it's spring. Great contrast to previous book to illustrate change of seasons. This is my two year old's favorite.

Stranger in the Woods and Lost in the Woods by Carl Sams and Jean Stoick
This uses stunning photographs to illustrate the story. The first has beautiful winter pictures with a snowman in the forest. The second is about a baby fawn in spring.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Two books we found at the library last week that we really enjoyed are:

Turtle Spring

and

Benjamin's Treasure

Both are lovely stories for spring!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Turtle Spring looks sweet ~ thanks for the suggestion!

Another book about little Clee is The Pumpkin Blanket. It's a nice "autumn" read.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

This was on the New Book shelf at the library last week:
That's What Leprechauns Do by Eve Bunting. It's on our shelf now, to read next week

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version