Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture book discoveries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Kelly! I went to Mount Holyoke, just down the road from Smith . I suspect Libby will be heading into Northampton a few times, as some of her friends are at Greenwood this summer. I wonder if the Five College Bus runs over the summer...? My father's old German professor retired to Northampton and we visit him, so it's pretty familiar to us. Yeah, it's strange, but not as strange as NYC ..."diverse" behavior does tend to stick out more in the pastoral Pioneer Valley, though .

I think I am most looking forward to Bart's Ice Cream, hiking Mount Holyoke itself, exploring the lakes, visiting old profs. and, of course, the concerts. Since the fire of 1986, the South Hadley Commons have expanded with a movie theatre and Chinese restaurant, in addition to the rebuilt Odyssey Bookstore. The campus boasts an all new state-of-the-art science center, and I hope my geology prof. (homeschooling dad) will have a chance to give us a tour.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

No kidding, MacBeth. Small world, Sister (as in one of Seven). Do I dare ask when you graduated? I'm sure you were after me!!! I graduated in '81. I love South Hadley. The Odyssey Bookstore! Sigh. And the Five College Bus---now THERE'S a memory! I remember trailing "Prince" (not the rockstar, but the Grimaldi Prince who was at Amherst) on that bus a few times...as well as many late nite runs between the schools. I don't think I'd ever send my dd's to Smith now, it's just gone beyond the pale, but Mount Holyoke is still a great school, I think.

Where will you all be camping?

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 11 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Just missed you, Kelly! I was in the class of '85 but took a year off and ended up in '86.

I don't think I'd let my daughters go to MHC. The new Wiccan group, the elimination of the Dean of the College Chapel, slimeball Joe Ellis (he and I did not get along), plus the barrage of articles about "diversity" and all in the alumnae Quarterly issues have put me off, though I am sure the science education is still top-notch. Fortunately, Libby is clearly going to pursue a carrer in music, and Annika wants to study archaeology, and I have not even begun to research the college options for her . I figure they'll both get enough of MHC from a Musiciorda summer to last a lifetime.

I am not sure where we will camp yet, but there is a state forest just outside of Northampton that looks good (cheap).

(Oh, and I remeber Prince Albert being up there, too, mentioned during my interview as a frequent visitor to campus, LOL!).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Ugh. So MHC's "infected" too? What a shame. I'm with you on all counts, right down to the Alumnae Quarterly turnoff. Wellesley dominated my family until I broke the mold and did something "different"... ...for "free-thinking", "open-minded", so-called "liberal" arts schools, they are ALL remarkably in lock-step!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

soodow wrote:
We are heading to the Eric Carle Museum next week with a few families from NH! Two weeks ago we went to Norman Rockwell Museum - enjoyed by all (5-45 yr olds!) in Stockbridge, MA. We were also wondering about your camping plans Macbeth...would love to have you up here in NH again... we'll be looking for your post!
Sue in NH

I'll post the camping plans soon. Hey, wouldn't it be fun to have a picture book campuout? We could bring our favorites to read aroudt he campfire.

BTW, Sue, I had a great time in NH...I love meeting folks from all regions of the country, and your hospitality was such a blessing to me!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We have been really really enjoying the Jim Aylesworth books. He actually lives the next town over from us. I guess you learn something new when you read about the author. My son was so excited to learn that tidbit.
Here are two books which we have recently found at the lib. which are very fun for us this spring.

Muncha Muncha Muncha by Candance Fleming
This is for anyone who has/had a garden plagued by bunnies!!!

Swan Harbor A Nature Counting Book by Laura Rankin
I like the illustrations and all the nature facts in the back of the book. I am not a nature person so having a son who is all about the outdoors makes life very interesting for me!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2005 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

We have a couple of really lovely picture books on our sitting room coffee table right now.

I leave our library picture books there for everyone to peruse. Even visitors like to pick them up and flick through!

The titles -
*I Wished I'd Surfed With the Duke by Leonie Young
( popular with my boys who have had suring lessons recently. I like the author's name. )
* Corroboree by Wallam and Kelly ( about Australian Indigenous culture)
*Camille and the Sunflowers by Laurence Anholt ( Van Gogh)
*Maths Curse by Jon Scieszka

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Families,

Just wanted to share a couple of picture books that we really like that we picked up at the library recently.

They are: Young Mozart by Rachel Isadora, Roughing It on the Oregon Trail by Diane Stanley, The Lily Cupboard by Shulamith Levey Oppenheim.

I recall one that we liked, too, it's called Beacons of Light: Lighthouses by Gail Gibbons.

Enjoy,

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well my 3 yo ds and I discovered a few new ones after story hour this past weekend.

We picked up both book and audio on these:
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock by Eric A. Kimmel
Seahorse Reef by Sally M. Walker (Smithsonian Oceanic Collection)

A few other cute ones:
Where's My Tail by Susan Shafer (lizard loses his tail)
The Rooster Who Lost His Crow by Wendy Cheyette Lewison

For Nature Study:
Around the Pond: Who's Been Here? by Lindsay Barret George

And a beautifully illustrated poem in picture book format:
Wynken, Blynken and Nod by Eugene Field, Illustrated by Johanna Westerman
Thought maybe some other littles would enjoy these too, my biggers like them also

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This is one book I think you'll love:

Sophie's Masterpiece A Spider's Tale (Hardcover)by Eileen Spinelli, Jane Dyer (Illustrator)

Amazon.com
Sophie is an artist. She is also a house spider, but one that children will certainly cheer and not fear. The webs she weaves are spectacular--some are stars, or hammocks, or sun patterns--and her mama is very proud of her. When she grows old enough to strike out on her own, however, she is not warmly greeted by the world at large. At Beekman's Boardinghouse, a dull sort of place that "cried out for her talents," she only wants to beautify it with her gossamer artistry. But even as she is spinning a web of curtains for the front parlor, "blending a golden thread of sun into her silk," she is swatted by a screaming landlady! She scampers into the tugboat captain's closet where she sets to work on making him a new suit, day after day, a sleeve here, a collar there. Once discovered there (the captain screeches and climbs out onto the windowsill), she moves on yet again. Now a much older spider, she climbs up a long staircase to settle into a young woman's knitting basket. One day, the woman discovers Sophie... and smiles! Sophie, noticing that her new friend is pregnant and in need of a baby blanket, decides that she will spin one for her baby, a cloth into which she weaves starlight, snippets of fragrant pine, wisps of night, old lullabies, playful snowflakes, and, in the end, her very own heart. Illustrator Jane Dyer, who worked with Eileen Spinelli on When Mama Comes Home Tonight, has outdone herself in Sophie's Masterpiece, painting this bittersweet story in gentle watercolors. She manages to convincingly anthropomorphize Sophie, and paintings like the one of the courageous spider struggling up the long staircase, casting long shadows, will linger long with readers. (Ages 4 and older) --Karin Snelson

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I just requested this from our library. did you notice the author's name?
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Families,

I tried to search to see if this book was recommended here but alas, time does not permit continued searching...

We love the book Silent Night; The Song and its Story by Margaret Hodges, illustrated by Tim Ladwig.

Absolutely beautiful...I couldn't finish it without crying....no, we're not emotional, here...LOL.

God Bless,

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Ooh, we checked out Sophie's Masterpiece and it was wonderful! might have to buy that one.

Here's one I just read tonight and fell in love with:
An Island Scrapbook Dawn to Dusk on a Barrier Island by Virginia Wright-Frierson
In looking up the book on Amazon, I see she has one on the Sonoran Desert and one on the rainforest as well.

This book is like a CM type nature journal, with watercolors, sketches, little notes in the margins, etc. It covers all kinds of creatures and plants they come across and has notes about habitats, etc. including some warnings about pollution, etc. My 5 yo son really enjoyed this tonight at bedtime. I'm going to have my 12 yo read it next.

Karen T
p.s. how do you link the image of the bookcover?
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

LMuse
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote LMuse

I've been wanting to post about this book forever now but wasn't able to because we've been in the midst of a move to my family home. I finally have internet today and am waiting for dinner to be done so....

Check out "Sierra" by Diane Siebert, Wendell Minor illustrator!! My 3rd dd's name is Sierra and I purchased it months ago on a whim, we just couldn't leave it in the store. The text is a poem by Diane Siebert that begins, "I am the mountain. Tall and grand. And like a sentinel I stand." The illustrations are breathtaking, absolutely lovely. A fantastic book to jump start a conservation study, long term nature study (of predator and prey, perhaps?), and more.

Enjoy!,
Lara
Back to Top View LMuse's Profile Search for other posts by LMuse

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Meredith and Cay,

We recently took out the books you recommended. Thank you for the suggestions...ds loved them! We saw a spider in our house last night and instead of freaking out I just calmly said, "Hello Sophie!"

I heard there is a Bears Snores On about Christmas. We just enjoy Karma Wilson so much. It is always nice to see someone else read one of our favorites.

God bless,

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

We recently checked out The Full Belly Bowl by Jim Ayelsworth and now my children can't eat anything out of a bowl without talking about this story. Basically, a man performs a good deed and is rewarded, with the caveat that his reward could become a burden if used incorrectly. It was a fun read. Darn, I don't think the link worked.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Karen T wrote:
Ooh, we checked out Sophie's Masterpiece and it was wonderful! might have to buy that one.

Here's one I just read tonight and fell in love with:
An Island Scrapbook Dawn to Dusk on a Barrier Island by Virginia Wright-Frierson

Karen: Thanks for this suggestion! The kids and I read it today and it was a great segue into our first attempt at Nature Journals tomorrow....this woman paints beautifully and showed a great ecample of what nature journaling is all about. Kind of a "Pocketful of Pinecones" for the kids!

Thanks!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

A couple others we read today are real winners!

Lost! A Story in String by Paul Fleischman would be perfect as hurricane weather starts and loss of power becomes a reality. A little girl is told a story by her grandmother when all the electricity is out which means "no tv, no VCR, no computer, etc" -- directions for the string figures are given in the back which should make for some no-powered fun for the kids! The pages are cream with black writing; the illustrations are woodcut (similar to Mary Azarian work) and add to the ambience of old-time, primitive fun!

Armadillo Tattletale by Helen Ketteman is a great tale about what happens when you spread rumors abut others. Since we've had a spate of "finking" lately in our house, this one was particularly appropriate!

Blessings all!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2005 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Here's another wonderful book!

The Paper Princess is such a wonderful story that my 6.5 yos did a near perfect (just missed one incident out of many in the story) narration for Dad when he came home for dinner! It really is a beautiful story -- and according to Amazon, there's a sequel that I'll need to check out....
Blessings all!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Mary G. wrote:

Lost! A Story in String by Paul Fleischman would be perfect as hurricane weather starts and loss of power becomes a reality.

I second this one. WE read it last year.
It's excellent!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version