Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Did you hear me scream? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We had a bear our first year in WV - Smokey routinely prowled our yard, but only dh ever saw him. I, good homeschooling mom that I am, bought a huge container of plaster of Paris so we could do track casts...but Smokey always seemed to come around right before a driving rainstorm.

The neighbors were horrified that we had a bear - but, in the mountains of rural WV, what do you expect?

Paula, I am glad you saw your bear run AWAY.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

That is one awesome shot, Paula! But whew! I was on the edge of my seat looking for your next post to find out what happened!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

lapazfarm wrote:
I remember it well from our summer in Kodiak. Luckily our bear was much more interested in someone's stringer of salmon than in us.
Our first Kodiak bear siting

I remember when this happened to you! At the time, my son was very angry that he didn't get to see a bear.

I just showed your picture to him again and he said, "mom, I saw a BLACK bear. That's not the same thing as a BROWN bear." And then he walked away...

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Paula--I have been thinking about this all night. You crack me up. "Stay away from the bear, kids....but get him to stay long enough for a pic!" That's just plain funny. I don't know what I would have done, but my kids loved the picture and the story so much I think they may have invited him to play! Thanks for sharing this story.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

HOW cool , yet very TERRIFYING at the same time!!!

Even though I'm jealous of where you live, life in suburbia looks pretty darned good today as I read this!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Paula in MN wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:
I remember it well from our summer in Kodiak. Luckily our bear was much more interested in someone's stringer of salmon than in us.
Our first Kodiak bear siting

I remember when this happened to you! At the time, my son was very angry that he didn't get to see a bear.

I just showed your picture to him again and he said, "mom, I saw a BLACK bear. That's not the same thing as a BROWN bear." And then he walked away...

Boy, there is just no pleasing some people!LOL!
But to be honest, we've seen plenty of black bears around here in the smokies, but that absolutely did nothing to prepare us for the sight of the Kodiak bears.They are enormous. But then, everything in Alaska seems to be that way.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Oh my goodness!!! So glad that your kids are safe. Great picture though.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 22 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

You all lead such exciting lives! All we ever get are the neighbor's dogs breaking through the fence or a rabid raccoon every now and then.   

Cool picture, Paula!!

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Hi Paula -

I was wondering what that scream was the other day!!

Do you and your children know what to do when they see a bear?

I try to make sure that at least one of the children have a whistle around their neck - the whistle is only to be used if they see bear. The purpose is two-fold - the noise will help scare off the bear and it will alert me.

Here are some other tips that I have been told - if anyone knows something different or thinks this is unsound let me know!

DO NOT RUN! Bears have a chase instinct similar to dogs - if you run they will chase you.

Stand very tall, make yourself look bigger (put your arms up and out) then back away from the bear while making as much noise as you can.

Bears will often display "false charges" before attacking - they will give you a chance to back off.

Never move between a mother bear and her cubs

If bears are in your area be very careful with food - bears have an incredible sense of smell. Do not let bears get into feeders or garbage. Keep the grill clean. Most bear problems are caused by people directly or indirectly feeding them - don't feed the bears. We have a lot of people in NJ who talk about defending the bears from hunting and then have been found feeding them in their backyards!! The saying around our house is "A fed bear is a dead bear."

And the only thing the I had to let go from my childhood - was the idea to "play dead" - I don't exactly remember where I got this idea but somewhere I picked up the idea that if you were in danger from a wild animal you should lay down and play dead.
Black bears, at least around here, have become scavengers - especially dragging off road kill - so playing dead probably wouldn't be a good idea.

When a bear comes around the house we have found the best thing to do is to set off a fire cracker or two - they really don't like the noise and I think they like the smell even less. If fire is a concern - have a large pot or some kind of container to throw the fire cracker into.

Or get a large dog - our neighbor's dog always had a particular "bear bark" - and we knew to head inside.

Writing in a rush...it is a little nerve wracking at times but they are so beautiful! We try to be very safe but we are always thrilled when we catch a glimpse of a black bear.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Donna, I don't think I knew about any of these helpful hints. Thanks for posting them. I've been turning our adventure into a little "bear" trail , and these will come in handy!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version