Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Pocket Diapers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saminier
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote saminier

Mackfam wrote:
The bumgenius one size is nice, but I'm leary of velcro...my fitteds had velcro and didn't last well. Does anyone have any experience there? I notice none of you mention using them, yet they seem pretty popular right now.

I tried out the bumgenius onesize 2.0 last year. At the time I had a 6mo and 2year old both in diapers and I didn't want to buy diapers in two different sizes to start off. They fit both of the kids great, but the velcro and stretchy part started to show wear after only a few washes. And after a couple of month they started repelling. I stripped them every so often, but decided they were too fussy and pricey for me. I switched to prefolds and bummis or imse vimse covers and have been pleased with this system for almost a year. I resold or gave away most of my bg's the two I have left look very tattered!

Suzanne
Back to Top View saminier's Profile Search for other posts by saminier

saminier
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote saminier

ps. I think I will stay away from diapers/covers with velcro from now on. Although not as flexible as velcro the snaps just seem to wear so much better and are harder for the kiddos to undo themselves. I've been surpised by bare-bottom kids 1st thing in the morning
Back to Top View saminier's Profile Search for other posts by saminier

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 4:03am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Okay, so I've been using these for about a week now, and I'm totally diggin' on the trimness of these. I've been using the microterry inserts from Nurtured Family. I got some real cheap second hand, loved them so much that I bought some more new.

Missy said that she is able to get buy with two of these stuffed in a fuzzy bunz at night with her 13 month old guy, so last night I got brave and tried one (I usually use a doubled prefold under an Aristocrat at night.) Molly is in a HH with two inserts, and her side of the bed is dry, MB is in a swaddlebees with two inserts, and he woke up in a puddle! It could be the fit of the diaper rather than the inserts, or it could be that he still nurses during the night and Molly does not. Do you all use these over night too?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisa,
Just wondering if you can update on how the swaddlebees and happy heinys are working for you so I can take notes?

Susan, you gave such helpful advice - thank you!!!

I ordered a couple of different diapers in each style I was interested in and was surprised that I liked the ones I didn't think I would, and didn't like the ones I thought I'd love.

I see why you all like the Fuzzi Bunz now. I like them very much! I'm liking the Happy Heinys too. I also sort of like my Swaddlebees all in ones, especially after I figured out that you have to turn them inside out to dry them adequately, but...I only have leaks in those.   I think it must be something I'm doing wrong. Katie can stay in the fuzzi bunz or the happy heinys just fine with no leaks. I really want to like my all in ones though. Is it the trimness? Or possibly the fit? They really seem to fit well though, I don't think it's that... Maybe they need to be washed a few more times to increase absorbability? Is that a word - absorbability?

Also, the microterry, hemp, suedecloth and cotton velour wash up much cleaner than my flannel fitteds. They don't stain, but the flannels do.

And can I just say how much I love the hemp inserts!!! Thank you so much again, Susan!

Very helpful thread, Lisa! Let me know what you think of your dipes. Are you going to narrow down to one to order more of, or are you just going to stick with a variety of dipeys?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jennifer - Let me give a rundown of what I have used the past few weeks. I will only share my experiences with MB, who is 9 months old now. He and Molly7 (2) are in the same size, but have different absorbancy needs. (MB wets heavier!)

LOVE - size M Happy Heiney's. I use one Nurtured Family microterry insert during the day, and two at night. No leaks with the HH. I have some of their hemp inserts in the wash as we speak - I'll let you know how I like those in a few days. (I have 12 HH altogether, I think these will be my staple diaper.)

LOVE - Bum Genius 3.0 one size pocket diaper. I have some of the microterry inserts that came with them, but they are not quite as nice as the ones from Nurtured Family. I have 2 of these, I may purchase more if we are blessed with another bundle. I like the one size option and the ease of use.)

LOVE - Thirsties size M pocket in one. During the day I don't need an insert unless we are going to be out. I have not used these at night yet, but I would feel confident using it with an insert. I have used Thirsties covers over prefolds and I have a few Thirsties fitteds. I think they make a kickin' diaper.

DID NOT LIKE - Swaddlebees pocket diapers. These are so narrow. They worked okay on Molly, I think b/c girls are just built different. (poos with either of them were always a blow-out in these!) If MB would be 'aimed' slightly sideways, look out lap!    I sold these after using them. (I used prefolds or Nurtured Family inserts in these, neither could make it work.) I sold these after a week of use.

I am looking to sell the 4 M Drybees I have. I just don't like these. I can't exactly put my finger on why, could be that the velcro is wimpy or that they run quite large, or that thet are already super pilly, but, I just don't like them. (I use prefolds or microterry inserts in these too.)

I have two fuzzi bunz on the way. I have used them in the past (I even had some testers when they first came out nearly 10 years ago!) I imagine now that I have the 'knack' for pockets, they will be great. I'll post when I get them.

In the way of All in Ones, I only have a few Honeyboys and I really really like them. (I've had them for years!)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Lisbet wrote:
I have two fuzzi bunz on the way. I have used them in the past (I even had some testers when they first came out nearly 10 years ago!) I imagine now that I have the 'knack' for pockets, they will be great. I'll post when I get them.     

Are you getting the FB used or new? I have not tried the "new style" FB that came out a few months ago and was curious what you (or anyone) thought - they seem to be different sizing wise, from what I've heard, and we're having trouble with leg gaping in his current M FBs, no matter how I try to snap it.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Amy, I believe theya are the new ones, I bought them from Julie. I bought M for both Molly and Mark.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I just checked - yes they are the new ones, with the more rounded tabs. I remember when fuzzi bunz were all fleece, no PUL layer at all - and the tabs were very rounded! :) I never liked to pointy tabs - those are the ones I passed on to Missy.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisbet wrote:
LOVE - Bum Genius 3.0 one size pocket diaper.

Really? You like these? I looked at them locally and the velcro seemed so flimsy so I didn't even order any to try. I like the idea and everything else about them though. I thought the Happy Heiny velcro would be more durable cause it's sort of sewn onto the PUL. Hmmmm.... How is the velcro on the BumGenius holding up in the wash?

Lisbet wrote:
DID NOT LIKE - Swaddlebees pocket diapers.   

Interesting. I'm trying so hard to like the Swaddlebees All In Ones, but since I keep having leaks I'm concerned. After hearing your take, I think I'll look at a couple of the other AIO's suggested on this thread. I'd really like to find an AIO to have a few on hand.

Lisbet wrote:
I am looking to sell the 4 M Drybees I have. I just don't like these. I can't exactly put my finger on why, could be that the velcro is wimpy or that they run quite large, or that thet are already super pilly, but, I just don't like them. (I use prefolds or microterry inserts in these too.)

Me either. In fact, I knew as soon as I pulled them out of the box, but couldn't ever figure out why I didn't really care for them. I kept pulling them back out and looking at them, considering washing and using them, and then I'd just decide - nah! So, I'll just return these.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I love the new style Fuzzi Bunz. I ordered a M, concerned it might be a bit small for a month or two. There's PLENTY of room to grow, but the leg elastic fits nicely and I have not had a single leak in them - even afer a nasty, explosive poopy in the carseat! These are at the top of my list right now.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

After almost 17 years of prefolds, plastic pants and diaper pins, today is my first attempt at pocket diapers!

Roma gave me a bunch of BumGenuis to try. I certainly like the ease of use, but I do have some questions.

1. Maybe this is obvious, but do you use the pocket diaper more than once with a new insert? With diaper covers, I could reuse them a few times after a quick rise and air dry. If you can only use them once, why not just use all-in-ones, at least during the day. It seems like a lot more frequent washing than my old way.

2. Do you soak them or keep them in a wet pail? My prefolds I would rinse in the toilet (Not so much for little baby poops) and then throw in the dry pail until I washed, about every three days.

I am sure I will think of more questions. I am drawing a blank at the moment!

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Roma
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Roma

i don't do any soaking or wet pails. i have a 13 gallon kitchen trash can with a flip top lid and i have a washable wetbag. i just shake it over the toilet and throw the dipes in. before solids i didn't shake at all. all the breastmilk poo would come out in the pre-rinse. cold rinse, then hot wash with limited detergent. too much detergent causes build up.

you can't reuse the covers. the advantage to a pocket over an all in one is that the baby stays dryer
:)
Back to Top View Roma's Profile Search for other posts by Roma

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 09 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

Interesting. I'm trying so hard to like the Swaddlebees All In Ones, but since I keep having leaks I'm concerned. After hearing your take, I think I'll look at a couple of the other AIO's suggested on this thread. I'd really like to find an AIO to have a few on hand.

Just updating to say that I think I just needed to wash them more to increase absorbency. I'm really liking the Swaddlebees AIO's now. I stuck with Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heiny's for my pockets.

Molly, I don't soak my diapers - I keep a dry pail. I bought 2 of the washable diaper pail bags and I just dump the whole lot in the washer together - bag and diapers.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 10 2008 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just wanted to throw out there for anyone considering fuzzy bunz that some of my friends rec'd the Petite Toddler size instead of buying mediums because they are taller than the mediums and will fit a baby earlier than a large but longer than a medium. All my fb are "seconds" from a friend who has a store (so, I can never give them away or sell them or anything), so, I only have one in this size. It is my favorite fit for my boys, though, and if I invested in more, it would be this size.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I just saw the new BumGenius! organic cotton diaper (looks like an all-in-one) advertised at Jillian's Drawers. Have any of you seen one in person or tried one on one of your little ones yet? DD needs some nighttime dipes, and I'm considering them....

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jillian's Drawers has a special deal where you can try several different types of diapers and accessories for $10. I think it would be worth it to find out which style I like best.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 10 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Yes! I encourage the sampling. I was soooo close to just purchasing diapers to replace my thread-bare fitteds. Soooo close. Then, in a moment of sanity, I just ordered a couple of each different type to try. The diapers I thought I'd love (and almost ordered without seeing or trying) are the ones I hate, and the diapers I didn't think I'd like are the ones I ended up ordering. A sampling is a good thing!

Tea,
I've seen the BumGenius 2.0 and 3.0 in person. I was really tempted, but I was concerned about the quality of the velcro. My fitteds had velcro and they all frayed very quickly. After looking at the velcro on the BumGenius I was afraid they'd be too flimsy to hold up very long in the wash. Just my 2 cents though. I will say that a number of online reviewers found that to be true and that did factor into my decision.

I did end up with some happy heiny's with velcro/aplix tabs, but the aplix is sewn onto a reinforced tab of pul and I'm really pleased with the heft (is that a good way to describe them?) of the tabs. Time will tell though.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

After about a month of pocket diapers, I am still having one big problem. My two in diapers, 2 yrs and 6 months have both had a reaction either to the diapers themselves or the detergent.

It is like they were burned, like a sunburn, and then started peeling. I thought it was because I was washing in my homemade detergent of Fels Naptha, washing soda and Borax. I would do a full second wash in Dreft and then one more rinse. But I haven't used the homemade stuff in a couple of weeks, and they kept getting sore, just not as bad. I bought Allen's Naturally detergent and they are STILL getting all red and then peeling. So, I am thinking it must be the diaper.

I have mostly BumGenius 1.0. I do have some Fuzzi Bunz, but not enough to experiment to see if the kids react better to those. The 2 yr old mostly wears the Fuzzi Bunz and she hasn't had as much trouble. But, then, her skin isn't as tender as the baby.

Have any of your babies had a reaction to one brand but not another? Am I missing something in the washing process? Do I maybe need to strip the diapers ( I got them from a friend)?

Another problem with the baby is that his legs are so fat that his things rub against the outside of the diaper and get very sore. Again, I think it may be mainly the older BumGenius which are a rougher material. So I can't let him hang out in just a diaper.

Overall, I like the pocket diapers and I need to make this work. I just feel awful when their bottoms are so sore.

Thanks for your help!

Remembering Today

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

It could be the Dreft that you are using and is causing a alergic reaction because of all the additives. You might want to strip them and start fresh. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/washing-diapers.htm

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Elizabeth wrote:
"double diaper with a micro and a prefold"

So not important to the topic, but this just made me laugh, cuz it reminds me of when DH is talking about work stuff, and "using the lingo." He'll say things like, "tightening up the ballyhoo to stay within the proscenium." And I'm like, "Sure, okay."

But even us SAHM/HS-ing Moms have our lingo too.

And this just made me laugh.

Anyway...back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version