Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Pocket Diapers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have been a prefolds and covers kinda mama for 13 years now. I was given some Fuzzi Bunz years ago but was never able to get them to work for me. (I passed them on to Missy and she's getting good use out of them!) Well, I have some various brands of pocket diapers on their way and I'm looking for some tips. I plan to stuff them with some infant prefolds, will that really be enough absorbancy? I do have a few coming with micro terry inserts, I am very skeptical that those will hold anything. With my current diapering system, more bulk equals less leaks - will I be able to get over that?

And what about washing them? I had problems with the Fuzzi Bunz repelling, so I figure it was the way I was washing them.

If it makes a difference, I have a few Happy Heineys, Swaddlebees, and Drybees coming. (all off Diaperswappers FSOT board.) THANKS for any tips!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 15 2008 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I love Fuzzi Bunz. But the real testimony is that dh loves them. Repelling is caused by using a laundry detergent that has some fabric softener in it or using fabric softener itself.My detergent had lavender oil in it and that was a problem. Once I switched, no absorbency problems. The microfiber inserts are awesome but I do use prefolds in a pinch without a problem. I have eighteen diapers that I've used since she was about six weeks old I think. No fit problems at all. Mine get washed about every other day and they've worn just great. All the snaps are still fine and none of them are showing signs of wear around them. Follow the use and care exactly and you're good!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Elizabeth wrote:
Repelling is caused by using a laundry detergent that has some fabric softener in it or using fabric softener itself.My detergent had lavender oil in it and that was a problem. Once I switched, no absorbency problems.

I'm sorry, Lisa. I don't want to highjack this tread, but this is happening here. The kids were actually laughing yesterday because she actually has a fuzzy bun I usually use free and clear detergent. What are you using now, Elizabeth.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ruth, please, hijack away!! I know repelling was my problem with the pockets before. I'm trying them again because they should be trimmer and they are supposed to keep baby drier. Can I wash the pockets with the rest of my diapers, or should I was them seperately? Prefolds are SO easy to launder, no special care required.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Not wanting to hijack here, either, but wanted to add as an aside that if you have a dc with really sensitive skin, pocket diapers of any brand may cause them to break out. My dc are super sensitive, and I ended up having to get rid a a lot of cd's with our newest edition -she couldn't use them without getting a rash. All I can use on her is something that offers 100% cotton against her skin. If you don't yet own any pocket dipes, I'd suggest buying only a few to try them out first, in order to avoid wasting $, like I did!

Tea

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

time4tea wrote:
Not wanting to hijack here, either, but wanted to add as an aside that if you have a dc with really sensitive skin, pocket diapers of any brand may cause them to break out. My dc are super sensitive, and I ended up having to get rid a a lot of cd's with our newest edition -she couldn't use them without getting a rash. All I can use on her is something that offers 100% cotton against her skin. If you don't yet own any pocket dipes, I'd suggest buying only a few to try them out first, in order to avoid wasting $, like I did!

Tea

Thank you for that tidbit. I've often wondered about that. Our family is extremely sensitve, and I thought this would be an issue with the diapers for us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't imagine kids with more sensitive skin than mine and we don't have a problem with Fuzzi Bunz at all. We have all kinds of problems with just about every disposable on the market. I use absolutely NO fabric softener ever with any of my wash and no scented detergent so there are no traces of it in my machines. Ruth, I don't remember what brand of diaper you have. It sounds like your diapers are shedding more than repelling. I've never seen that here. I've seen one rash in 19 months. And I think that was food related. I'm using Tide Free. I always double rinse. I find they are much easier to care for than Diaperaps or Nikki's or Rubber Duckies (I'm dating myself there). We have no blowouts and very rare leaking even at night (I double diaper with a micro and a prefold at night).

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Lisa,

I'm a big fan of prefolds and covers as well and we used those exclusively for a year. We are currently using a stash that includes Fuzzi Bunz, prefolds, Bummis wraps, hemp inserts, microterry inserts, and fitted snap diapers. I use that last kind when I want some absorbency but lots of air circulation.

I originally got Fuzzi Bunz because I wanted less diaper rash and a trimmer fit. My ds is paraplegic and will be in diapers for a long, long time. Fuzzi Bunz really help a lot in the rash department and if the microterry inserts worked they would be very, very trim. Unfortunately they are just not absorbent enough for us. I use them on my super-soaker dd if I know I will change her right away. We also use the microterry inserts inside a hemp insert for overnight on our ds and it gives enough absorbency. The Cotton Babies microterry inserts are much better than the standard issue ones that come with Fuzzi Bunz.

So the upshot of what I just said is that Fuzzi Bunz are not magically more absorbent but they do keep the wetness off the skin a bit more.

I do have to be careful about how I wash them. I used Allan's Naturally with a little vinegar in the rinse for awhile and have recently been experimenting with other natural detergents. None of them work very well and I think I decided today to go back to Allan's.

I do love how easy Fuzzi Bunz are. Especially when we're out, I can prestuff them and it makes for a much quicker diaper change or a standing diaper change in a gross restroom. And they have held up the best of any diaper I own. My cotton prefolds, hemp fitteds, and two brands of PUL cover have all tanked faster than the Fuzzi Bunz. They also have a long fit. I've been able to use the large size starting at six months on my chubby little babies and my 3.5 yo is still in that size now that he's thinned out.

In case you are still curious about all the intricacies of my diapering system I stuff the Fuzzi Bunz with Hemp Babies inserts. I like hemp for its absorbency and durability and the Hemb Babies are flat. They help with a trimmer fit in pocket diapers.   When I use prefolds in a Fuzzi Bunz they always seem really bunchy. But we've gotten all our diaper stuff gradually and as gifts. Buying a whole bunch of Fuzzi Bunz and Hemp Babies in one shot would be pretty expensive.

Hope that helps your decisions. I find diapers overwhelming and I always want detailed specific advice.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

That's really helpful Susan. I'll have to look in to Hemp Babies to supplement the next set.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Elizabeth wrote:
Ruth, I don't remember what brand of diaper you have. It sounds like your diapers are shedding more than repelling. I've never seen that here. I've seen one rash in 19 months. And I think that was food related. I'm using Tide Free. I always double rinse.

Thanks, Elizabeth. I purchased the Fuzzy Bunz and I do love them. I'll try double rinsing next time.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

I am the odd man out I have 1 FB and I dont like it too much but give me fitted and wool cover I am happy. But my favorites are prefolds and covers

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I love our Fuzzi Bunz. We use the microterry inserts, or prefolds in a pinch. I just wash the whole mess on hot with some Tide Free and double rinse, then put everything in the dryer on medium or medium-high. If I'm not doing it last minute (i.e. I have quite a few diapers left that don't need to be washed yet) I'll hang the pockets and just dry the inserts, the pockets air dry fairly quickly and it's better for them. But just as often, I toss them in the dryer and they turn out fine. I've been doing this for years and the diapers are still in good shape.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks everyone! They came and I've been using them today. So far so good. No one is rashy and they are much timmer. We'll see!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Lisa, I used to be a Diaperswappers Junkie (when I was in my *learn everything about diapering* phase ) and I just want to warn you that I've heard that Happy Heineys and Swaddlebees can have leak problems for some people - I think it was a matter of fit, not necessarily the diaper itself or user error (SB are extremely trim and didn't work for us, for example) - just didn't want you to think it was YOU if they don't work.

If they DO work for you, I have some more HH you can have, and probably a bunch of other things if you are interested (I overbought and have a little of everything Kinda like curriculum )

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote amyable

time4tea wrote:

Tea

I've definitely heard of babies having an allergy to the microfleece and/or microsuede. I'm glad you found something that worked for you, though! (or her, I mean )

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Amy, Thanks for the warning. I have tried one of each today (2 in diapers!) The HH fit both pretty well. MB is very very chunky and Molly is very very slendor - The larges fit them both. The Drybees fit Mark a little funny, but fit Molly just fine. The Swaddlebees fit them both very well. I've only used prefolds as stuffing, the inserts are on the way yet.

I really like the HH (I should mention that I've used them before, I had a couple of cute prints, but the prints leak like crazy so I ditched them. This time I got all solids.)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisa, can I hijack?

I've been reading with interest. My old fitted diapers just will not work any more, and I am leaning toward pocket diapers to replace them but I keep wondering about all in ones for convenience. I'm undecided between fuzzi bunz, swaddlebees all in ones, or the bumgenius one size pocket diapers.

I notice that most of you have and like Fuzzi Buns. Do you like them better than all in one's?

The swaddlebee is an all in one pocket, but a lot of reviews say it's too trim to stuff comfortably. Have you found that? Amy mentions this.

The bumgenius one size is nice, but I'm leary of velcro...my fitteds had velcro and didn't last well. Does anyone have any experience there? I notice none of you mention using them, yet they seem pretty popular right now.

And, if you don't mind, could I ask you one last question? Have any of you seen the new ECONAPPI by swaddlebees? It seems to address all of my wants. I like that it's cotton inside. But the price! Any thoughts?

Please forgive me for hijacking Lisa.   I'd really love to hear more of what you think of your swaddlebees, and especially why you're all using Fuzzi Buns. Maybe I should just stick with that.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I love all-in-ones ! My faves are Blue Penguin Classic AIO's and Elites. The Classics have really cute prints on the outside, and are great for daytime. I use the Elites at night. They are also really reasonably priced, and have 100% cotton inside, which is a MUST around here . You can check them out here:   http://www.bluepenguin.biz/aio.html

These dipes are as easy to use as a disposable - even my teenaged ds can change the baby now!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

In my short experience with swaddlebees, I've been able to stuff an infant prefold wrapped around a (homemade) flannel doubler into a LG Swaddlebees pocket with no problem. It IS a trim diaper. It's very narrow between the legs and is bikini cut. That is good on my hunka chunka boy though.

I am generally leary of velcro also, but it is one of the reasons I'm switching. Everyone else in the house wants velcro so they can change diapers too.   Even snaps confuse my dh (esp. in a one size diaper!!) So, the simplicity of the velcro it is. The fold back laundry tabs on the Drybees seem to be the sturdiest, with the swaddlebees in the middle and then the Happy Heineys last. Really, the HH see to be the flimsiest of the three I have right now.

I have some Honeyboys all in ones on the way too. Geesh!! 13 years into cloth diapering and I'm changing my system!!

Jennifer, my size 2 Kissaluvs lasted me 6 years/4 kids! :) I think that's pretty good. My size 1 Kissaluvs have been on 7 children now! Of course those only fit for such a short time! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Mackfam wrote:

I notice that most of you have and like Fuzzi Buns. Do you like them better than all in one's?

I like the ability to customize with a pocket diaper

Mackfam wrote:
The bumgenius one size is nice, but I'm leary of velcro...my fitteds had velcro and didn't last well. Does anyone have any experience there? I notice none of you mention using them, yet they seem pretty popular right now.

I've noticed that whatever is the newest tends to do the best on diaper review sites. BumGenius has the main difference of stretchy velcro tabs and a one-size fit. But I have found that velcro doesn't last as long as snaps, and babies can undo velcro themselves much more easily than snaps. Also the large Fuzzi Bunz are pretty one-size for my family. We used different diapers for the first six months and then haven't needed any other size. I can't imagine a diaper that huge on a six-month old or younger even if the snaps are well-designed.

I have stuck with Fuzzi Bunz partly because I can't afford to try everything. But I also sort of gave up finding something "perfect". Kids grow and change and none of our diapers is the perfect solution for every single moment but the Fuzzi Bunz have done the job for 2.5 years at our house most of the time.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version