Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Modesty for children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Red Cardigan wrote:

So while I don't wear shorts myself, and really don't think women over 35 generally ought to wear them except around the house or at the beach not only for modesty issues but for issues of maturity (c'mon, how many of us have gorgeous knees after 30?)

HOW on EARTH did you guess what my knees look like? and that I'm over 35 to boot??!!
I must admit I'm not a skirt wearer here much myself, but I hear you about the light colored skirt/slip thing.
I wear tan/beige/khaki colored capris almost every day in the summer, and that works fine.
someone else mentioned wording/graphics/photos on shirts.
I'm not into advertising or selling my kids (a'la "little hottie" ) or anything else, be it Hilary Duff, High School Musical, or Disney.
thankfully, this seems to be more of a "girl issue" than boys??

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2008 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Talking about slips--I found some decent cotton ones at Vermont Country Store (I think that's where I found them). I think I also found some someplace else online...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2008 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Oh, and I figure that if my dc are going to be advertising for some company (ie, wearing Disney "stuff") then they (I) ought to be paid for it!

Haven't gotten a check from Disney yet. LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have a teen boy. He does wear the white tank top undershirts around the house. I won't let him in public. Our battle is to keep his pants pulled up over his boxers. Even in nice clothes, the boxers are peeking out of the top.

To his chagrin, he has no tattoos to show off. I am such a mean mom!

But I have to say boys are nothing compared to girls when dealing with modesty issues!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Good for you, Molly. No doubt he'll use his first Marine Corps paycheck to get a tattoo - but that's an adult decision. You're right, though - faced with endless halter tops, etc., it's hard to convince girls that modesty is best.

We went to our church today so ds could go to Confession (yes, I am lucky, he asks to go) and there was a wedding in progress. I would never, ever, ever let my dd wear some of the short halter/strapless dresses that young adult women were wearing to this (65 degree) event. It's like swimming uphill sometimes, isn't it!

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 12 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

here in the tropics... I let the girls wear short and tanks. some of them spaghetti straps.... but I make sure they sit high enough on their chests...

they do have a couple of shorts that are longer... and plenty of T's.

their suits.... they have a couple. the both have two pieces... kind of a tank type top and bottoms.

but the suits they always reach for? their boy boards shorts (goes down to the knees) and a UV rash shirts with 3/4 sleeves... LOL   I didn't plan it for modesty... just for sun exposure.. but when I see them at the beach, playing, they look so cute. and considering some of the other suits I see on kids and adults here... YIKES! glad my kids like theirs.

I have an 11 yr old boy. he tries to wear his pants low. but we have compromised... they can't be below the hip bone... and make sure he wears a belt (so they don't go lower lol) and his T-shirts needs to cover the top of his pants... never do I want to see his tighty whities. lol so far so good. he also wears a UV rash guard to the beach... less sunscreen needed...
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

LookaBook
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 12 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote LookaBook

This is a great topic. I have 3 girls ages 18mo, 3, and 8. For the two little girls they may wear sundresses that are sleeveless, but at mass we wear a little sweater. They may wear one piece swim suits and I prefer for them to wear the rash shirts over them instead of dealing with sunscreen.

For dd 8, she may wear sleeveless shirts or sundresses with a sweater for mass. No cami style tops or dresses, no halter tops or dresses. Tank tops are ok if they aren't too tight. I solved the shorts and jean issue with having her wear her brothers old shorts- she loves the extra pockets All dresses and skirts must be below the knee. She has a great skirted swim dress that she LOVES (I was really suprised that she liked it so much)

We do shorts here. We are outside playing hard. Skirts are great but we have had too many accidents with skirts getting caught in the bikes so they aren't safe for bike riding here, nor for campfire events.

My other rule is no writing or logos- it just drives me nuts

God Bless,
Alison
Back to Top View LookaBook's Profile Search for other posts by LookaBook

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Thanks to all for your replies. Lots to think about.

I've borne all this in mind as I go through the girls' wardrobes. I tried to explain to my eldest that she couldn't wear a certain skirt because it was too short. We've never had a 'modesty' discussion before. How do you explain modesty to children in terms that are appropriate to them?

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've always tried to discuss it along the lines of "these are parts we shouldn't show to anyone except: mom, dr/nurse, or their spouse (keeping in mind, my only dc old enough for me to have any discussions with on modesty are all girls--the boys will be checked by dad when the time comes). These areas include the upper leg above the knee, preferably the upper arm, and certainly anything from the shoulders to the upper thigh.

We've discussed that there are some things that are just between husbands and wives, and no one else--the dc are used to us having discussions, etc, about things that are just for DH and I...so this is just an extension of that. We've also discussed the "God made you very special, and gave you a very special gift, and meant for you to share it *just* with your DH when the time comes for you to marry. Not before, because you can only give a gift once...and once it is given away, it isn't yours anymore (tying it into the discussion on chastity).

Don't know if that will help. We've just sort of done it as we've gone along, discussing what is "good", and what is not, and why certain clothes don't meet my/our standards.

Now, if I could figure out how to have them in skirts and protect from the ticks out here.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Elizabeth, I have often just made questionable articles of clothing disappear under cover of darkness. No discussion, beyond "Hm, I can't imagine what happened to that skirt/shirt/skanky old pair of jeans." I do have modesty discussions with my teenager, who's completely on board with it all; with younger kids it's hard to do without getting into areas I'd rather not get into in any great detail, so I just use the underhanded approach, weeding out clothing that doesn't meet my standards and making sure that clothes I do approve get into the closets and drawers. They can't wear what they don't have, and that solves things pretty handily.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version