Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: When is enough enough??!!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 06 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thought..

Even Jesus asked for the Cross to be taken away if it was the will of the Father and He was perfect. So I'm not so sure why we would have to strive to be better than that it's the accepting after getting the answer that's hard

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2008 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I guess I try to only worry to the extent that I legitimately have control and weigh the risks of our personal family.

For instance, a recent study came out about cancer pockets in our state. Its a concern, but I don't really expend energy in worrying about moving to Montana so I don't get cancer.

I'm not sure that I exactly understand the trust issue raised, though. I trust God, but I don't trust the medical industry or various government agencies to have my family's best interest at heart.

The more I researched many of the things related to changes we made, the more I feel many of those changes bring me closer to following the designs of nature and creation.

For instance, in eating whole foods and traditional foods, I find that for me, it makes sense that God would have given us food very close to the best way for us to eat it and that the wisdom of thousands of years can't be invalidated in a century.

In a way, I feel that I am learning to trust Him more by learning to trust what seems (to me, at least) inherent in nature's design.

Sorry that I can't seem to express myself well. I'm having a hard time coming up with ways to explain the broader ideas in my head without using specific examples that would seem I'm trying to convince someone to make a particular change (which I'm not).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lindsay, I thought you expressed yourself very well! And you sum up our philosophy for seeking healthier choices exactly.

I'm jumping in late to this conversation - I was away from the computer all day yesterday. I don't like posting in controversial threads because I never express myself well and I feel others express themselves so much better. But your friendship is so dear to me, Marilyn. I'm going to venture out and pray that the Holy Spirit speaks here and not me!

It seems to me that you're asking 2 different questions Marilyn, how do you discern about issues of health and when do you just prayerfully say "your will be done, Lord."

The body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. The body is good - we image God in and through the body. God gave man all that he needed to nourish his earthly body by providing richly and abundantly in His Creation. I simply seek to provide for my family as closely to His original design as I can. It is actually simpler, not more complicated. But, as someone wisely pointed out above it is a journey that takes a good deal of time to accomplish. I was tempted to feel overwheled at first when I tried to think of ALL that I needed to look at or change. I backed off, and sought God's will through my husband. His counsel was wise and I have followed it. We seek to change what we can, one thing at a time. If we can't change something, we let it go.

I enjoy trying to be a Proverbs 31 wife - "she looks well to the ways of her household..." If I am concerned about something that might affect our health, I pray, seek information from unbiased, non-trendy sources, and then discuss with my husband. He provides the direction for our family and I find great peace in seeking his counsel and submitting to his authority in our home. If he doesn't want to pursue a change - we don't. If he feels something is worth looking into - I do because it is my job to take care of the home and safe-guard our health. Sometimes, if I feel my emotions will get in the way of seeking information wisely, I'll simply bring the thought or issue to my husband and ask him to look into it for me. If I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed I know I'm heading down the wrong path because Jesus says His burden is light and His yoke is easy. If a decision or information seeking is taking me away from my children, husband or the daily duty too much, again I know I'm in the wrong place.

In everything balance and moderation. Then Trust. I think you're there Marilyn. You invest your time wisely seeking healthy choices for your family. Your suffering has nothing to do with those choices - it is simply Gift. Not a gift that is easy to accept, but a gift nonetheless. Now is the time to seek refuge in the strong embrace of your husband, have peace that you have offered as healthy a lifestyle as you and your dh can afford timewise and financially, and begin the process of wrapping your will around His. My favorite prayer...I don't understand Lord, but I trust.

Now, I'm going to post this, and pray that it isn't misunderstood. I feel like I need to say that with our organic milk we do eat handfulls of Oreos. Is that hypocritical? I choose to think it isn't - it's just where we landed, the balance we found. Others find a different balance. I hope I haven't offended.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you Jenn, Jennifer, Lindsay and everyone else for your ideas and views. Lots to think about. I am very tired - one very long (but enjoyable) morning in DC - and I am not good for much but icecream and iced water!

I am grateful for your views - as I said we are very health conscious and it has made a huge difference in the health of my children and husband (and my allergies may have been worse ) - but I am praying for guidance so that I do not become so self-focused and so I spend money and time wisely.

(and for anyone who saw me with the pop tarts this morning in DC - they WERE organic toaster pastries and travel very well

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Check out this article in today's Washington Post - something to think about:

An Unhealthy Obsession with Healthful Eating

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

That was a very good article.Thank you for the link,Marilyn.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

I think that the increasing trend towards stewardship of the body and our envirnoment is a wonderful thing. I think it is important, even essential to our Christianity - so far as it is within our means to do so.

I feel that the sense of being overwhelmed may come from our collective move - over the last several generations - away from living gently. This move back in what I, and many others, consider to be the right direction has gained enormous intensity over the last several years.

Taking the best care we can of our bodies, allowing them to heal and thrive as they were designed by not burdening them with environments (internal and external) that are unhealthy, ensures that these corporal vehicles will serve us in whatever mission God has intended for us.

Change slowly. Be gentle to yourself emotionally, mentally, spiritually. If the changes are overwhelming you, then hold off on new changes. I think we all experience that feeling at some point.

In fact, I feel very strongly that living naturally is the epitome of simple living. We don't need to spend a fortune doing it. Instead of a stainless steel water container, a glass or ceramic one would do as well - and is a whole lot more budget-friendly. It's also more environmentally friendly. Glass requires a lot less energy to create and is much more readily recycled, too. And you can find nifty handled mason jars with screw-on lids for toting around.

There are ways to make better eating more affordable. I think that it is important to seek out co-ops, or build one (it's fairly easy). If you have the space, you can grow some or all of what you need - and it's a great homeschool project. There are commuity garden projects in some cities providing space for planting gardens, and the opportunity to meet other families. My husband and I started a retail co-op, and we get other services through a barter network we started (including alternative medicine).

As I said, I think that we're talking about stewardship of the body and of the land. I think that it really is as important as it's made out to be.

In answer to your question: enough is when you are feeling as you do right now. It's not worth your spiritual well-being to keep feeling overwhelmed with it all. You can always come back to it later.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I want to address the suffering issue.

This is what I think: Suffering wasn't part of God's original plan. I don't think He wants us to suffer. He wants to heal us and to restore things to the way they were before the fall. But sin did enter the world. Suffering is a reality.We and others around us make decisions that bring suffering. I think we should ask for healing and we should ask for our suffering to be taking away. The thing is that it won't always go away. Our prayers won't always be answered the way we want them. So we need to learn how to live with suffering when it comes: courageously,not whining and complaining, offering it up for the sufferings and intentions of others, and even joyfully!

Now if I could only do it

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version