Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Science 7th grade Apologia vs. Concepts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 13 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Just got this from Rainbow Resources and I'm tickled!! The review was "spot on". I don't even know if you're interested in Chemistry but I thought I'd through it out there.

C & C is actually a pretty decent science book - not your typical textbook. Everything is short & to the point and both my ds liked it. Unfortunately the copies are pretty poor.

I fine just reading the science section of Rainbow Resources very helpful. Also, Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Picks is also quite helpful. I was able to get her book from the library.

HTH!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We started out our 7th grade year with Apologia, but dumped it after a month (and I had such high hopes! ) Ds is using C&C and hasn't complained. As others have mentioned, it isn't a beautiful text by any means, and ds has had questions that went further than the text. At least he is using it.

I have been stumped for 8th grade. But I really like Theresa's suggestions about the Eyewitness books and working in other materials.

I have always loved science, and I am hoping to find a way to present it that will enable my dss to love it too.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 14 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote gina

My dear ladies, I have to respond to this thread.

I find it hard to believe so many Catholics listen and follow secular scientists old-earth theories faithfully, without turning the eye to see or the ear to hear what our fellow Christian scientists are saying.
I believe we should remain open-minded and listen to the 100's of scientists who have come to believe in a young earth from their field study and research.
We need to look at the facts, pray, listen, ponder, consider...I believe God can do anything. God is everything, I am nothing, but what He makes me.

As a Catholic Christian I believe that the Bible is a record of faith and poetry and history, and yes, sometimes with a lot of symbolism thrown in.

Also, the Popes have said that Faith and Science work together in perfect harmony. God created the heavens and the earth, He put everything in it's place, He created science and all the laws that govern it.

I teach my children to research and consider both sides, and ultimately, as s, they will have to decide for themselves what the truth is.

And, the only time I could see faith interfering with science is if the scientist wanted to do something immoral, like violating the dignity and sacredness of human life, embryonic cell research, cloning humans, crossing humans with plants or other animals, etc...

Just my "humble" opinion,

Gina

P.S.(I plan on using C&C with my 7th grader, just because he wants short simple science, just the facts - kind of guy. We'll see how it goes.)

Back to Top View gina's Profile Search for other posts by gina

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I have not really thought about the old/young earth in any great depth. I know most of my non-Catholic Christian friends hold to the young earth theory. But I haven't read anything conclusive, one way or the other, from an infallible source, that says to believe one or the other. I would be most appreciative if anyone has something regarding this, as I don't want to teach my children incorrectly.

The only thing that I could find, that seemed to be somewhat comprehensive was   this. But I don't see anything here that gives me a definitive Church teaching, just guidelines for whichever way we wind up teaching. The guidelines though are very helpful.

We have a cool and rainy afternoon here, so I am going to be spending a lot of time today trying to get a direction/curriculum idea for ds's 8th grade, since I hope to get all my orders in early! I am getting excited for next year, already!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

gina wrote:

I find it hard to believe so many Catholics listen and follow secular scientists old-earth theories faithfully, without turning the eye to see or the ear to hear what our fellow Christian scientists are saying.

That's quite an assumption. What makes you think that those of us who accept old world theories have not "turned our eyes" to see what Christian scientists are saying? Perhaps we have indeed listened and found them preposterous and completely lacking in veracity.I find it hard to believe that so many Catholics listen to misguided protestant fundamentalists in regards to science or faith.

gina wrote:

I believe we should remain open-minded and listen to the 100's of scientists who have come to believe in a young earth from their field study and research.

I believe we should remain open-minded and and listen to the hundreds of thousands of scientists who have come to believe in an old earth from their field of study.

gina wrote:

We need to look at the facts, pray, listen, ponder, consider...I believe God can do anything. God is everything, I am nothing, but what He makes me.

I agree. Just because God COULD make the world in 6 days doesn't mean He DID.

gina wrote:

As a Catholic Christian I believe that the Bible is a record of faith and poetry and history, and yes, sometimes with a lot of symbolism thrown in.

Also, the Popes have said that Faith and Science work together in perfect harmony. God created the heavens and the earth, He put everything in it's place, He created science and all the laws that govern it.

Agreed. He created the laws that were at work from the beginning.Billions of years ago.

gina wrote:

I teach my children to research and consider both sides, and ultimately, as s, they will have to decide for themselves what the truth is.

That is certainly true. I teach my children the same.They will learn their science from a science text and their theology from the Church. Not vice versa.

gina wrote:

And, the only time I could see faith interfering with science is if the scientist wanted to do something immoral, like violating the dignity and sacredness of human life, embryonic cell research, cloning humans, crossing humans with plants or other animals, etc...

Faith interferes with science when it asks us to ignore the vast majority of evidence that God Himself has put before us to discover. The true faith does not do that. Faith and reason should not be at odds, and they don't have to be.Our church does not require us to set aside reason in favor of faith. So why are so many of us willing to do that?

gina wrote:

Just my "humble" opinion

And mine as well.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

I have just one comment to this thread. At some point I would think a child has to encounter the evolutionary theory or they will fail in college science. I worked toward my PhD. in biochemistry and I believe that there are errors in evolution, but there are also glaring errors in creationism. I intend on teaching my kids both and theoretically before graduating writing a paper defining why they believe in one form or another. If a kid walks into college and intends on going into science they will just have to choke down the evolutionary stuff, regurgitate and move on, but if they don't know it all -there is no chance of them getting anywhere in the scientific field to refute it. And I don't think it is enough to say, that aethism is everywhere and therefore they will pick it up. Just my 2 cents. My kids are obviously lower elementary, so I haven't studied any of the texts enough, but I was very irritated by the Apologia series. It is not possible with that series to just seperate out the evolutionary theory because they so completely imbue the entire series with the creationist theory. And while I do believe that much of what creationism says is accurate and correct and should be considered some of the distortions of basic laws in physics that they present as a fact in order to eliminate any questions about creationism bother me just as much as a standard secular text. The difference is that most devout Catholics or Protestants know in a secular text to tell our kids to watch out for the aethism, anti life, anti God, and evolutionary content. But with Apologia, unless you have really, really searched and questioned the entire Creationism/Evolution theory, and know your science you will not know what to flag to your kids...as in what prepare them for in college. I have no intention of being drawn into the debate of evolution vs. creatinism vs. intelligent design vs. new earth vs. old earth, just to give a thought towards the future. And of course, just as I can't speak on Apologetics to a Protestant unless I understand sola scriptura, and sola fidei; chidren will not be able to speak about ID without a knowledge of evolution.

gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 14 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote gina

Well said,
Theresa.
I will keep studying...
may come back to this issue later.

Gina

gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 14 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote gina

Oh, and Tara, I totally agree about having to know about the evolution theory for college.
I have a science guy, too.
Appreciate your input.

Gina

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2008 at 4:39am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just thought I'd share this resource I am soo excited! I have found a wonderful site. Bridget Ardoin's Science for High School.

Bridget has a degree in microbiology, has taught in highschools and has been/is a homeschool mum for the last 12 years. She has created a curriculum that uses library books and the internet, it is NOT a textbook. On the site there are student research pages, student dissection pages and quiz pages and accompanying parent pages. Even I was interested to find the answers. And that's amazing in itself.

Perhaps this may suit you instead. Has anyone seen this?

(Sorry for the double posting but I thought it worthwhile to link here)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MrsM

When I asked my dd what subjects she most enjoyed this year, she told me C&C was her favorite. I feel really good about that, because I think it's a very comprehensive book and she learned a lot, but it didn't seem like the kind of book you would "enjoy." So I've decided to get the next one in the series. It's rather expensive, but since I can use it with all the kids it works out in the long run.

Good luck with your decision!
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

Maryarm5
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maryarm5

I'd like to add our experience--my 7th grade son did Apologia general science, and we both did not like it, especially the 1st half of the book which is so heavy on proving the creationist viewpoint. He kept waiting for real science!
What we did love was Apologia's Exploring Creation through Botany, and Exploring Creation Through Marine Science. Although these are written for 6 year olds to maybe 13 year olds, all our family learned so much (age 4,12,14, and mom)! Mainly because it is written to the student in a narrative style, and the lessons are notebooking lessons. They are rather new books so the style is attractive. The author gives you a lot extra through the internet.
My daughter had to take an entrance exam to get into a high school biology class, and she says she did well because of those two books!
Back to Top View Maryarm5's Profile Search for other posts by Maryarm5

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Thank you for the review on the other apologia books. A small group of moms in my local hs group did the astronomy one, and they all loved it. I am wondering if the difference is the author? I am thinking, not sure if I am correct (and too lazy to check!) that another author wrote the books geared to youngers, and that Dr. Wyle liked them so much, he incorporated them into his line-up, so to speak.

I also like to hear the positive outcome of books, like helping on your daughter's placement test.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

Heliodora
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 22 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Heliodora

Yes, the elementary Apologia series is written by Jeannie Fulbright, not Dr. Wile. We are finishing the Astronomy this year. We've enjoyed it, and have appreciated the supplemental internet links. I bought the Botany to use with my younger set of students next year.

I've decided on the Rainbow science for my 7th graders next year. Cathy Duffy has a review of it in her book, saying that he thinks it is necessary to at least teach the theory of evolution so that students know what it is, and he does not commit to either a young earth or old earth theory. I'm impressed with the little I've seen, and it seems like it gives a good basis on scientific method.

Prove all things, hold fast that which is good. -1 Thessalonians 5:21
Heliotropium
Back to Top View Heliodora's Profile Search for other posts by Heliodora Visit Heliodora's Homepage

Heliodora
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 28 2008 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Heliodora

Here I am again. :)

I've found a pretty impressive website which has several resources for Catholic science and which probably will not come as a surprise to many, called Ye Hedge School by Mary Daly. It's full of common sense, and good theology, carefully researched.

I actually own the Diagram book, and I've hit the website a few times in the past, but I just never delved into it before now. Maybe I just didn't have a need for it at the time.

There are several resources there treating science from a Catholic perspective, like "1000 Years of Catholic Scientists", a booklet about Galileo, and more. It strikes me that these would be excellent supplements to any secular science text. and

Did I mention how excited I am about this? ;P

Prove all things, hold fast that which is good. -1 Thessalonians 5:21
Heliotropium
Back to Top View Heliodora's Profile Search for other posts by Heliodora Visit Heliodora's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version