Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2008) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JudyJz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote JudyJz

Hi - Not sure why with all my online reading that I've never become a member of these forums. I'm finding more and more that it is important for me to be sure and 'hang out' (so to speak - even if it is just online) with other Catholics - it just helps me to keep my focus :) I am homeschooling my ds7 and have just welcomed my miracle ds3months (God blessed us after 6 years and 4 losses). We have used parts of many curriculums including parts of CHC, WP, and MathUSee. I read Elizabeth Foss's book this past year and am seeking to add a bit more of a CM aspect to our learning. I haven't blogged really since my son was born, but hope to start more again... http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/onduli

Thanks for sharing the homeschooling journey with me......
Back to Top View JudyJz's Profile Search for other posts by JudyJz Visit JudyJz's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Welcome Judy!

I don't post as much as I'd like to, but these forums are such a source of support and encouragement for me.

Welcome aboard!

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Woo-hoo!
After over a year of being registered but not "activated" because of my ineptitude...here I am! Thank you, Tim!

I'm mom to four children, ages 10, 8, 5 and 2---three girls, one boy and we live in the Everett, Washington, area. I use Latin-Centered Curriculum with a good smattering of the Mater Amabilis and Real Learning booklists.

I am *so* looking forward to actually being able to post replies to the many interesting threads I've come across over the years...instead of just banging my head on the keyboard in frustration!

Oh, and I have a blog if you'd like to "see" me: http://apostletosuburbia.blogspot.com

I've just posted my curriculum plans for the two oldest for this fall.

Oh happy day!
LeeAnn

Back to Top View LeeAnn's Profile Search for other posts by LeeAnn Visit LeeAnn's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Welcome Judy! Congratulations on the birth of your son! Truly a blessing and a miracle.

And, LeeAnn....YEA!!! You're here!! Your are "famous" in our household!

(Our girls are in the same Little Flowers group.)

And, just so everyone knows....LeeAnn is NOT inept!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sylvia and my husband I live in Ohio with our two wonderful children. Zachary is 4 and Erin is 2. I am excited about starting our homeschool adventure and it looks like I can learn so much from all of you. I'm looking forward to it!
Sylvia
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome, Sylvia!    It is great to come here for ideas and support and encouragement in this journey! Glad you found us!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

SuzanneG wrote:

And, LeeAnn....YEA!!! You're here!! Your are "famous" in our household!

(Our girls are in the same Little Flowers group.)

And, just so everyone knows....LeeAnn is NOT inept!

Uh-oh! I'm afraid to ask what I'm famous for! But thanks for the compliment. You're pretty amazing in my book!
Back to Top View LeeAnn's Profile Search for other posts by LeeAnn Visit LeeAnn's Homepage

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Hello everyone-
I have been reading here for a while and am finally taking the time to introduce myself.

I live in Northern Wisconsin with my dh of 14 years and 5 boys ages 1 to 11. We have been homeschooling since the very beginning. I have always used of mix of things rather than a packaged curriculum...making things up on my own as needed/wanted. The boys are grades ahead in their math, science, and reading ability, but probably right at grade level for their language arts and so this always seemed like the thing to do. Other hsers I met thought I was crazy to take the time to do this and wondered why I didn't just buy a packaged cur.; but, I knew this wasn't for us.

A few years ago I learned of Montessori and became instantly interested especially in the part of instilling independent learning. Once I had 3 kids to teach it was becoming very time consuming to give each child all the attention they wanted. Plus it seemed that if mom wasn't leading the learning they didn't feel like they needed to be learning. I want my boys to see that learning is lifelong...not just for kids. I want them to love to learn too and to be self motivated to do so. At this time a lovely Montessori directress from an hour away responded to a question I emailed about Montessori to her school (at the time I didn't realize this site even existed). She so graciously agreed to meet with me in my town to answer any questions and show some materials to me. She was great!

I started to change some things after that, but still wasn't real sure how to implement some things at home or how to inexpensively make/get the resources.

And then I found this board and a whole new world opened.   Thank you! I will contribute back whenever I can. It is just such a pleasure to "talk" with other ladies who share the passion I have for hsing.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Welcome, Jackie and all the new folks!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amyzkids8
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote amyzkids8

Well, after clicking the link to post my intro on the PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING page a few times to no avail, I finally figured out where to go! So sorry it has taken me this long!

My husband and I have 8 children - ds-15, dd-12, twin ds-10, ds-7, ds-5, ds-2, dd-1. We live in Maryland(Annapolis area) and have been homeschooling for 6 years. I have always kind of done my own thing with curriculum and at first found myself drawn to the Classical approach - however following this ala Well-Trained Mind style proved to be impossible for us. As I realize how different all my children are, from each other and from myself, in learning styles and temperment, I find myself being more and more drawn to CM and a gentler approach to homeschooling. CM has always attracted me for many reasons and I am happy to have found this forum to explore those reasons more and try to implement them in our life.

I am looking forward to learning and sharing here!

God Bless you,
Amy, Mom to 8
Back to Top View amyzkids8's Profile Search for other posts by amyzkids8

CMmother
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 08 2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote CMmother

Hi!

I'm Cassandra and I live in BC with my husband and 6 children(19,16,14,11,11,8).

We are Orthodox Christians, and I hope it is alright for me to be here, not being Catholic and all.

I just loved Elizabeth Foss' book and the tone of this message board, it is very different than the other boards I've been too.

My dh works at a lumber yard, and has a market garden that he sells produce from at a farmer's market. I have a garden here at the house but his garden is at a friend's farm. I mainly stay at home and hs the children but I do work part time at the library 4-12 hours per week.

The hardest things for me are trying to balance church, liturgical living, school, chores, work, and the classes I take one at a time from the BC Library Assocciation which are killers time-wise.

--Cassandra in BC

The Urban Trowel
Orthodox Charlotte Mason Education
Back to Top View CMmother's Profile Search for other posts by CMmother

DanielleLajoie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote DanielleLajoie

Hello, my name is Danielle and I am new to the group. I am not sure if I am doing this correctly but here goes: I am the mother of three children, two daughters, aged 14 & almost 8, and a son who just turned 4. We are in our 3rd year of homeschooling. I have been married for 16 years. My children love HS but I am not always sure that I am managing everything well. I'm a little nervous because I am planning on more formal instruction for my youngest this fall. I am amazed how much I have learned myself and am always as excited as the children when our new books arrive. I look forward to meeting and sharing with all of you. - Danielle
Back to Top View DanielleLajoie's Profile Search for other posts by DanielleLajoie

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome Danielle, Cassandra and Amy!    It's so good to see you here! Jump right in!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

phplists
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote phplists

I am a Catholic homeschooling mom of 3 in Central Virginia. I've been married to my husband John for 17 years and we have 3 sons - ages 9, 6 and 3.

When my first son was a baby, I found the old Catholic Charlotte Mason yahoogroup and I lurked there for a good year or so, and found so much to inspire me. I found the book Real Learning after my second son was born, and began homeschooling my older boy in the first grade, using a mix of CM, classical, and Montessori. I began reading Elizabeth Foss's weblog on occasion, and discovered the new Waldorf resources she posted last year, and am incorporating a few of these. It had been some time since I had read Real Learning, but I pulled it out again just a few months ago to inspire me and help me sort of "recalibrate" after our then-2-year-old was diagnosed with leukemia.

We had been "going great guns" with homeschooling last fall (by now it was 4th grade and kindergarten, with our toddler joyfully engaging in everything along with us). But when he was suddenly diagnosed with leukemia on 1/17/08, all our homeschooling fell apart, and we just spent a couple of months getting through the first of the crisis. By mid-March, our son's condition was temporarily stabilized and I tried to get us going again. That's when I re-read Real Learning and found it to be a collection of ideas and plans that I think can really work for us especially during the next year when our life will still be filled with a lot of hospital and clinic visits and disruption.

I was inspired by the story in the beginning by Willa, whose son was hospitalized at the time, and I clung to her thoughts about how homeschooling was right for her family, even though it didn't look like everybody else's or even very much like homeschooling, being done in hospital hallways and such.

Now that my toddler is nearly at the end of the first, most intensive part of his treatment, I am realizing that I am so tired and discouraged, that I need inspiration and hope and the companionship of other faithful Catholic moms, so I thought perhaps I would spend some time here, and see what other moms are up to.   

Unfortunately, we are fairly new to our area (we grew up in southeastern Virginia, and both attended college in Charlottesville, VA, but then we spent 12 years in Michigan, where we had all our children.) We relocated to central Virginia (a few hours away from our family 2 years ago), and between moving, and now coping with childhood cancer, I have not had much success finding and connecting with a local group of Catholic homeschooling mothers. There is a small, pretty inactive online group, but nothing like TORCH. So I am grateful that online communities such as this one are available this day and age.

I look forward to learning from all of you, joining my prayers with yours, and being encouraged and inspired by your examples here. Thanks a lot for making such a resource available.

Pam
Mom to Ben, 9, Daniel, 6 and Jonathan, 2
Back to Top View phplists's Profile Search for other posts by phplists Visit phplists's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Welcome to the forum, ladies! I think you will love it here!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

mommylori
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 14 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote mommylori

I am not exactly new but having been on in forever. I am Lori Mom to 4 children, and wife to my husband scott. We do CM and I haven't been on in forever because well I got busy after number 4 and dh comming home.
I am due with number 5 in October.
Back to Top View mommylori's Profile Search for other posts by mommylori

Mattie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 15 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mattie

Hello Ladies!
I am new to the forum, eventhough I have been on it to pick your brains for a few months and truly enjoying it! So thank you for your willingness to share!
My name is Mattie, I am a very loved wife of 6 years to a wonderful husband and happy (most days ) of 4 beautiful children dd 5, dd 4, ds 2 1/2 and dd 4 months.
I was born and raised in France where homeschooling is completely "alien", to say the least! But I married an American homeschooled graduate! So it grew on me, slowly but surely ! I cold not imagine doing it any other way now. About a year ago I read Elizabeth Foss's book and it was like finding the missing piece to our lifestyle! Thank you Elizabeth!
I started homeschooling with a CHC and BFIAR cocktail, but now that I got a hold on BFIAR I am starting to venture on my own and loving it! We are currently following an Indian thread thanks to Kateri Tekakwitha yesterday!
If any of you know anything about homeschooling material in French please let me know, my sister is pulling her 6 yo dd out of school to homeschool (in France, she is a true Pionneer!) and needs help and advice.
Thank you again for everything that you share! You are all in my prayers.

Mattie
Mom to 4 beautiful mountain babies in CO
Back to Top View Mattie's Profile Search for other posts by Mattie

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Welcome, Mattie!

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Hi,
I'm Lisa S., (Milehimama on the Net) mother to 7 children age 10 and under. I homeschooled all but my oldest last year, and am planning to do everybody this year. My oldest has MDD-NOS and LD and I am girding my loins for his schooling this year! :)

He's going into 3rd grade, with his younger brother. I have 2-3rd grade boys, a 2nd grade girl, a 1st gr. boy, a K girl, plus a two year old and one year old. My girls LOVED the Flower Fairies next year, and I want to make some gnomes for the two year old this year.

We do Montessori, with some Charlotte Mason, and some eclectic Mama made it up hands on stuff. I just started the Well Trained Mind last week and everything is finally falling into place (I used the Wise/Bauer's Story of the World and Language Lessons, but never read the "master book).

I also work from home as a freelance writer. I write about television shows, plus a few other general interest articles.

We just moved to Houston, TX, but I haven't met any other homeschoolers here.

Looking forward to lots of discussions with people who get our schooling method!

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

JenD
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 21 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote JenD

Hi,
My name is Jennifer, and my husband and I have four children, 7, 5, 4 & 2. The last two years we have used a box curriculum. This is our first year of venturing into a more "personalized" curriculum. I am looking forward to learning much from the forums.
Back to Top View JenD's Profile Search for other posts by JenD

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version