Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2008) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saminier
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote saminier

Hi! My name is Suzanne. I have two kids, my son is 3 and my daughter is 1.5. I want to learn more about homeschooling as we consider what the best choice will be for our family. A good friend recomended Elizabeth Foss's book (which I just finished) and this forum as great resources for starting to learn more. I don't know anyone in real life who homeschools and I'd love to find a Catholic Homeschool group in my area. There so much here, I can't wait to jump in and start reading!
Thanks, Suzanne
Back to Top View saminier's Profile Search for other posts by saminier

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Welcome to all the newbies! I always forget to look here until I see a name I don't recognize, then I jump over here to catch up.

Can't wait to get to know you all!!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lizz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 23 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lizz

Hi, I'm Liz. My husband and I have been discerning for a year now and finally have decided that we will start homeschooling this fall. We have 4 children: boy6, girl4, boy2, boy0, and we are so blessed!! Before the youngest was born we felt like 4 kids would complete our family's growth. After having spent this past half year with our new mild sweet chubby baby love, I can't believe it but I begin to feel open to the idea of more... EVEN as we begin our new homeschooling endeavor. We imagine homeschooling (we will try a combo of CHC, CM, Classical) will be lovely, simple, and, as one of my husband's coworkers described his own family's past experience, "the best years of our lives". Well, the oldest two are finishing their last week of private school, and I almost can't wait through the summer to begin homeschooling already.
The biggest challenge for me personally will be to keep it simple. I fell in love with homeschooling by reading the wonderful catholic homeschool blogs online, and when I felt God's call to do the same, I was so very scared. I researched and read so much, and there was not an end to the ideas and planning. I know I will need to guard against spending too much time online and on planning. [[For example, I was looking at 4Real's Craft of the Week list for hours one night instead of spending much needed time with my husband. I really fell in love with how someone used LTP's clip art to make figures for their Atrium!!! -does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and which LTP clip art resource I should purchase if I were to do something similar?]]
Right now I am praying that the two homes for sale on our street will be bought by Catholic homeschooling families. Wouldn't it be the sweetest gift to have next door neighbors with whom we could share this wonderful calling to homeschool?! Please, dear Lord!   
May all of you have a blessed Memorial Day Weekend.
Back to Top View Lizz's Profile Search for other posts by Lizz

Momof4girlz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 04 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Momof4girlz

Hello . My name is Tracy and I'm mom to 4 beautiful little girls ages 10,8,5,and almost 2 in a few months.
I guess I could say I'm a revert as I was baptized in the Catholic faith and attended Catholic elementary school , though never was able to finish CCD class so I'm not an initiated Catholic yet . I have been married for 13years to my husband who is non-Catholic ( though he attended Catholic elementary and high school :>) So I have attended protestant churches for 13yrs and never have been happy with them because they are constantly changing all of the time . I am back to attending Mass at our local Catholic church and finally feel back at home again .
So I am still learning alot right now .

I have always homeschooled my daughters and we use a mixture of approaches. My philosphoy is :Whatever works best to get them to learn the things they need to know .
Right now we are finishing our third year of cyberschooling with Calvert and are completely drained from it and will be going back to traditional home schooling . Oh yes, we live in Northwest ,PA . A state with very strict homeschooling laws .

I enjoy reading , lapbooking with my daughters , sewing being on the computer , and sharing awarenss of my youngest child's condition VACTERL Association to others ( www.caringbridge.org/visit/margaretreed1 ) , and spending time with my family .

I hope to glean wisdom from this group as I go on with our homeschool journey . You can follow us at :
www.thereedfamily-blog.blogspot.com
Back to Top View Momof4girlz's Profile Search for other posts by Momof4girlz

NicKatMommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 11 2008 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote NicKatMommy

Hi, my name is Nelda, and I have just joined the 4Real Forum after almost a year of silently enjoying the site. The journey that has brought me here has been interesting: I had been practicing law for 10 years in Washington, D.C., by the time I was blessed with an amazing husband. We started a family right away and I left the professional world to be a full-time homemaker and stay-at-home mother.
When my husband and I were first dating and I met his cousin who homeschools her six children, I said to him, "I think that's really neat, but that's not for me, (and thought to myself) I hope he doesn't expect me to do that." After having my first child (a son, now 3), I thought to myself, "Homeschooling seems to be the best one can offer their children, if only I had the courage to go against the mainstream culture." I began praying for courage, and by the time I had my second child (a girl, now 1), lo and behold, God increased my faith and gave me courage, and now I believe I am called to this as a vocation!
Even though I did not personally know anybody in my immediate area of Northern Virginia who homeschools, in gaining the courage to "go against the mainstream culture," the 4Real bloggers and 4Real Forum have been lights along the way for me, as has been the IHM Conference, and my encouraging husband and his cousin. I finally found a local homeschooling group, and I am finally getting out there and making personal connections with other homeschooling moms.
We love to read, and currently I am most interested in Charlotte Mason-style teaching, CGS, and Montessori at home. I am looking forward to (loosely) starting to homeschool-preschool my son in the Fall, and I hope to mix some of the Little Saints curriculum with Montessori ideas. I am a little nervous about "being prepared". I look forward to getting to know you wonderful ladies, and I want to thank you for the time you take to contribute to a site such as this when you undoubtedly have very busy lives. Your efforts are far-reaching.
Back to Top View NicKatMommy's Profile Search for other posts by NicKatMommy

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 11 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

NicKatMommy wrote:

We love to read, and currently I am most interested in Charlotte Mason-style teaching, CGS, and Montessori at home. I am looking forward to (loosely) starting to homeschool-preschool my son in the Fall, and I hope to mix some of the Little Saints curriculum with Montessori ideas.

Welcome to the boards Nelda! I hope to do much the same this fall with my 3yo.

Jump right in.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

momtokea
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 13 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote momtokea

Hi! I'm from Alberta, Canada. I've been homeschooling for 4 years. I have 3 children: 10yog, 8yog, and 6yob. I am very happy to have found this Catholic homeschooling forum. I have frequented some secular and Christian boards, and I am looking forward to being part of a group where I am not afraid to mention I'm Catholic and try to pray often.

I have recently been inspired by the book "A Mother's Rule of Life" by Holly Pierlot (a Catholic homeschooling mom)
www.mothersruleoflife.com
and am trying to implement her methods and routines into my life.

We are a part of a large secular homeschooling support group where we enjoy many activities, but sometimes I feel God is calling me in a different direction.

Looking forward to be a part of this forum.
Back to Top View momtokea's Profile Search for other posts by momtokea

kozimom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote kozimom

Hi! I'm from British Columbia, Canada. I have 9 children from almost 20 to almost 2 year old twin boys. We have homeschooled our children all along. My oldest graduated 2 years ago, and my 2nd oldest graduated 2 weeks ago.
Having a large family keeps me very busy at home so I don't do much with our local homeschooling group. I'm hoping to get some good fellowship and encouragement here! And maybe some new ideas to implement?
Back to Top View kozimom's Profile Search for other posts by kozimom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Welcome Tracy, Liz, Nelda, Kozimom and Momtokea! I think our Canadian group of ladies is getting as large as our Aussie group.

I am sure you all will love it here!

Nelda, so good to "see" you here!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Hi everyone,

We're from Red Deer, Alberta! So nice to see more Canadians at 4Real!

Momtokea, I missed the Holly Pierlot seminar. Did you get to go? I had a good friend who wanted to go, but she couldn't make it either.

We're registered with WISDOM in Derwent, Alberta, and really love it! Our facilitator is the homeschooling dad to 7 children, and says he'd have as many as God gives!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

CarlaMarie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 19 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote CarlaMarie

Hello, my name is Carla and I'm a young mom in the Northern Virginia area with one 2 y.o. son and our second coming, God willing, in November.

I just graduated from a master's program in Catholic theology, with a focus on marriage and family, and through the course of my studies became convicted that the typical classroom educational model (particularly in public schools, which I attended most of my life) is greatly lacking...for a lot of reasons which I won't elaborate here in my little introduction! In any case, ever since I have been pregnant with my first son I have been reading secular, Catholic, and other information regarding educational theory and homeschooling and continue to feel that God is calling my husband and I towards this path for our family.

In particular, I love the attitude towards being with my son that even the thought that I will someday "formally" homeschool him has already placed in my mind. It makes it easier to spend the bulk of my day with his needs (plenty of fresh air, friends, and outdoor time in particular) rather than my wants (constantly organizing the house) in the forefront of my mind. It sounds cliche, but this mindset also makes every moment seem like an opportunity to learn, and so my awareness is heightened in the experiences that we have, small though they typically are at this age.

I've been coming to this board just as a reader for advice and help on a couple of topics already, and I'm interested in particular in joining the discussion about Charlotte Mason methods.

My husband is a musician and teacher and leads one of the choirs at our parish on Sundays. I like to read and write, have long chats about meaningful topics, take walks, frequent the farmer's market, and cook. I am currently discerning the proper amount of my Internet use, so I'm not sure how active I will be here, but I am hopeful that I will be able to contribute and learn a bit when I am able to visit!
~Carla
A Mother's Smile
Back to Top View CarlaMarie's Profile Search for other posts by CarlaMarie

hsmom21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote hsmom21

Hello all, I'm Kathy and I live in Eastern NC with my husband and 11yr old son. We've homeschooled from the beginning. I came back into the church 4 years ago (attended a Mother's Day mass with my sister and cried my way through it). Unfortunately, my husband has not yet joined me but he is supportive of raising our son in the church.

I've been a reader on this board for a while and thought the time was right to jump into the conversations. I thank for all I've learned from you wonderful mom's.
Back to Top View hsmom21's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom21

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 21 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

Hi all! My name is Becky. I have been happily married for 10.5 years and we have 5 children:
Stephen    8
Elizabeth 7
Catherine 3, will be 4 in August
Natalie and Samantha 8 months

I was a registered member a couple of years ago and then something went hinky and my registration was lost and I never bothered re-registering but I have been lurking, reading and learning for over a year.   

My children both did K in Catholic school, my son homeschooled for 1st grade and then they went to government school last year for 1st (Ellie) and 2nd (Stephen). We decided to try govt school because the twins were due in Oct. and with my son's learning disabilities (Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ADD) I didn't feel comfortable trying to homeschool with 2 newborns.      

While our gov't school experience wasn't awful, Stephen actually had the same teacher DH had in 2nd grade, it wasn't great. I could feel us pulling apart as a family and moving away little by little from our faith. By the end of the year I knew in my heart that God was calling me back to hsing but I was still worried about my son because he had made such great academic progress at school (but at what a cost!). Then last weekend I went to the IHM conference in Dulles and practically had a breakdown while talking to Dr. Katie Moran about my son. It was so uplifting to hear her own son's experiences and to be reassured that YES! I could do this!

So that's my story. Oh, we live in an outer suburb in Northern VA with our 5 children, 1 dog, 2 cats and 1 gecko. I am still undecided on curriculum but am leaning towards a combo of CHC and Catholic Mosaic (which we've already started) combined with some of the books from Elizabeth's book lists. I look forward to continuing to learn from you all.
Back to Top View Becky Le's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Le Visit Becky Le's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 21 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Welcome, welcome - we are so glad to have you join us here. Jump right in to the various forums and discussions.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Lizz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 24 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Lizz

Dear Becky Le,
It's a looooong shot, but I might as well ask. We are going to visit my in-laws in a beautiful wooded northern VA suburb (I won't mention the city here for confidentiality) for a week starting this weekend, and the way you describe yourself makes you sound exactly like their next door neighbors. Their mailbox has a stone dragon-lion sitting on top of it. Sound familiar? We have never taken the time to say hi to those homeschooling neighbors on our past visits, but this time I wanted so much to say hi, just for some mutual support. We only recently revealed our homeschooling plans to my in-laws so I am ready for the range of reactions! If by some long shot it is you, maybe we could invite you all over during the week for some swimming and fun.
Off to research what Catholic Mosaic is like...
Back to Top View Lizz's Profile Search for other posts by Lizz

sevenblessings
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 24 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote sevenblessings

Hi!! My name is Michelle and I am Mom to 7 beautiful children (so far ). They are:

Brandon 17
Andrea 16
Catherine 11
Emaris 9
Samuel 2.5
Jonathon 2.5
Sarah 10 months

We currently are homeschooling our daughter Andrea, and beginning with the twins Samuel and Jonathon. With the twins we are currently following the Montessori Method, but just a little because they are so young. Hoping to start an informal preschool with them in the fall. With Andrea we are using more of a classical style.

I am a catholic convert of 4 years and am doing my best to raise saints for the LORD. I am excited about teaching my children about our beautiful faith (and learning along with them).

I've visited this forum quite a few times for advice and have truly enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you awesome women!!

One more thing! Does anyone know how I can change my username? I didn't realize I spelled it incorrectly until I went to log in. OOPS.
Back to Top View sevenblessings's Profile Search for other posts by sevenblessings

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Welcome everyone!

Michelle, I'll check to see if we can get your username spelled correctly.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

I feel as though I just received a gift. That gift is in the form of joining this forum. I have read this forum for some time and have gleaned wonderful advice from all of you. In the past, the advice I sought was all homeschooling advice (you see, it was during a time in my life, after being a cradle Catholic, that I was happily living my life with my wonderful husband and two amazing boys, but without religion). As it turns out, finding this forum and reading Elizabeth Foss' book, and listening to her tapes from the conference were not coincidental. All that time I thought I was an old soul, it was actually the whispering of the Holy Spirit that guided me (when I took the time to listen). Recently, after quite a detour, I have returned to the Church. Now I find myself reading these boards in a new light and I am so excited (and a little nervous) about teaching my two boys, 6 and 7 about the Church. I am praying that my husband (also a cradle Catholic) returns with me. He is, as always, very supportive.
I am a former attorney who loves staying at home and homeschooling with a relaxed, CM and Real Learning inspired lifestyle. I love to read about educational philosophy and I have gained nuggets of wisdom from many different sources(not the least of which is all of you).

Thanks for reading,
Tracey
Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

Robyn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Robyn

Hello! My name is Robyn. I am mom to two boys, 9 and almost 2. I have homeschooled my oldest since kindergarten. I have been inspired mostly by Charlotte Mason and classical homeschooling. Recently, while searching for activities for my toddler, I have read a lot about the Montessori method. Many of my searches brought me to this board, where I have gleaned quite a bit of useful information.
Back to Top View Robyn's Profile Search for other posts by Robyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Welcome Robyn and Tracey!

Tracey, I never tire of hearing reversion stories like yours - they get me all misty-eyed. So glad you are finding a home here.

Blessings!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version