Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged  

Oh yeah -- Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia can use them too.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged  

Welcome all you newbies -- you've come to the right spot for advice, support and lots of fun folks! So glad you've intro'd yourselves -- it makes it so easier for m so that I can figure who's who when I see you posting other things.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

dani
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged  

Deborah, we live in Baltimore County. We also use an umbrella, Conowingo-Rising Sun Christian School and I am reviewed by a member of our local homeschool co-op so I really have no problems in that area. My only concern is that Quinn receives speech therapy through Baltimore County and though they seem to understand how Quinn is (or at least the speech therapist is learning with each lesson *smile*) I just want to make sure that all is covered.
Back to Top View dani's Profile Search for other posts by dani

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged  

Hey, Julia -

We are a TEA family also!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged  

Hi,
My name is Jennifer Mackintosh. I've been a member of the site for a while now just popping in to check out various threads when I needed ideas or inspiration (never felt I really had anything worthwhile to add - there are so many gifted moms here.) Please forgive the breach in ettiquette - yesterday I posted something before introducing myself. I just didn't even think about it.

I've been adoring my wonderful husband Rob for 14 years now. We have been blessed with 5 children - Sarah (10), Matthew (in heaven), Mark (6), Grace (in heaven), John Paul (2). We've been homeschooling from the very beginning. My mom was one of those incredible Catholic homeschooling pioneers and has been an incredible source of support and information for me. Our philosophy is mostly Charlotte Mason with a little Classical and Montessori. We live in the foothills of North Alabama.

I look forward to gleaning wisdom from the other extraordinary moms here.
Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged  

Welcome Jennifer! I'll bite, since I'm relatively new to homeschooling. Who's your mom? and forgive me for sounding brainless....

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged  

Mackfam wrote:
Please forgive the breach in ettiquette - yesterday I posted something before introducing myself. I just didn't even think about it.
No worries -- there's very little etiquette here other than being patient and polite with folks and encouraging and supportive! WELCOME!

mackfam wrote:
My mom was one of those incredible Catholic homeschooling pioneers and has been an incredible source of support and information for me. Our philosophy is mostly Charlotte Mason with a little Classical and Montessori. We live in the foothills of North Alabama.

How cool is that? Have you always lived in Alabama or were your homeschooled elsewhere? I sure wish home-learning had been more prevalent back when I was going to school -- my mom would have been a great hs'er (and she's an awesome supporter of my SIL and I now!).

Again, welcome and feel free to jump in with both feet since you've seen "both sides" of the equation!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 15 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged  

Paula,
My mom is Carolyn Hatcher. She wrote "Let the Author's Speak." I could go on and on about her - she's awesome! God was so good to give me a mom with a rich love of learning.

She started homeschooling in the mid-80's out of frustration - but just my brother and sister - sorry I didn't mean to imply that I was too. My brother and sister are both sooooo intelligent! I got to see and experience homeschooling, but not first-hand - for some reason they didn't pull me out of school. I guess because I was already in high school. Still...it was enough to impress upon me the potential within a child, how a natural love for beauty and learning can either be fostered or utterly squashed. They were important lessons for me at a very impressionable time of my life. I'm so grateful God planted those seeds so early for me.

By the way Mary, we lived (Mom,Dad,Kim and Chris still do) in Nashville while Mom was homeschooling. Kim and Chris are 27 and 30 now - doing great! They survived homeschooling back when Catholic Charlotte Mason wasn't the cool thing to be doing

Thanks for the kind welcome!
Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged  

You truly are lucky to have Carolyn Hatcher as a mom (and she's VERY fortunate to have you as a daughter!).

How wonderful that your bro/sis were hs'ed -- it's worked out for you though becuase you saw the fruits of her labors in the growth of your siblings....

I remember when my bro/SIL started homeschooling about 15 years ago -- I thought they were CRAZY! Why would I want to stay home and be responsible for eaching my kids EVERYTHING? Now, I wouldn't trade it for the world; and my bro/sil have 2 off to college and 8 more waiting to head out, so I think they're great role models!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged  

Mackfam wrote:
Paula,
My mom is Carolyn Hatcher. She wrote "Let the Author's Speak." I could go on and on about her - she's awesome! God was so good to give me a mom with a rich love of learning.

She started homeschooling in the mid-80's out of frustration - but just my brother and sister - sorry I didn't mean to imply that I was too. My brother and sister are both sooooo intelligent! I got to see and experience homeschooling, but not first-hand - for some reason they didn't pull me out of school. I guess because I was already in high school. Still...it was enough to impress upon me the potential within a child, how a natural love for beauty and learning can either be fostered or utterly squashed. They were important lessons for me at a very impressionable time of my life. I'm so grateful God planted those seeds so early for me.

Your mum's book is on my wish list

Welcome,
How funny my story is similar, my siblings were hsed but I was left in highschool too.    I have just been looking through the archives and can't find it but a while about we talked about this, there are a few 2nd generation hsers on this board or like you and I -proxies

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged  

I love your mom's book. One of my oldest h/s books. very well worn and loved. :D

Back to Top View extremeknitter's Profile Search for other posts by extremeknitter Visit extremeknitter's Homepage

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged  

Hello all!

I have been reading posts with great interest on the Living Faith forum since Advent... and finally decided it was time to join the group so that I can share.

My name is Lucille. I am the mom of one lovely little 4 year old boy. We are currently working on colors and shapes and numbers and letters. And our lovely faith.
We are Roman Catholic and belong to a lovely parish where we gain much inspiration and graces.

Happy 1st Day of Spring!
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged  

Welcome, Lucille.
It's lovely to meet you. So glad you joined us.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged  

Welcome Lucille, and Happy Spring! My youngest is 5 and we are working on similar skills.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

thepojtoo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Christine and I have 3 beautiful children. Michael 16, Magdalena 2, and Gabriel 6 mos. We are praying for more blessings and are truly grateful for the ones we have. I home school all.

I am most proud of my status as wife and mother but have also been: an exchange student (Finland), around the world, a trustor, a trustee, a business person, a millionaire, below poverty level, and I have never been arrested or even charged with a crime. (Thank the Lord). I learned to fly a plane before learning to drive a car. I was baptized, received first communion and confirmed Catholic in April 1997. Praise God.

I consider myself an average woman. I haven't met a woman yet that wasn't interesting. I am always facinated at what I can learn from them. That is why I am in this forum. Thank you for letting me join.
Back to Top View thepojtoo's Profile Search for other posts by thepojtoo

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged  

thepojtoo wrote:
I consider myself an average woman.

I think this was my favorite line of your introduction! (Apart from the sacramental grand slam that you received in '97, which was very cool.)

Welcome to the 4RealLearning Forum, Christine!

PS. And you are right: there are no women here who are not interesting! Though I don't know that many of us fly planes!

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged  

Welcome Lucille and "thepojtoo" -- you'll love it here in the forum! Lucille, we have some moms who are just starting out with little ones and ones who are old pros (and we're getting ready to send some off to college) -- so you'll get lots of advice here. Are you planning on hs'ing all the way through or what?

"Thepojtoo" -- welcome -- sounds like you have a wonderful family and can give us some great insights into doing some different things. Do you use CM or are you eclectic?

Welcome to this motley crew of wonderful homes and home learning!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged  

Mary G wrote:
Welcome to this motley crew of wonderful homes and home learning!

It certainly is diverse isn't it? I was just thinking about that yesterday. It's such a blessing too - really gives you a greater sense of the expansiveness of the family of God!

Welcome ladies!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged  

Margaret in MN wrote:

PS. And you are right: there are no women here who are not interesting! Though I don't know that many of us fly planes!

No, never flown a plane before. Welcome, Christine and all the new members. This is a wonderful group of women.

Although I've never flown a plane, I   have jumped out of one. From 10,000 feet. With a parachute. It was way cool.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged  

Clearly I'm in a cheeky mood this morning.

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version