Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2007) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 07 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged  

Hi! I'm new here. Intro's are hard, but here goes...

My name's Anne. I’m happily married to Joe (not your average) and homeschool four daughters ages 14, 11, 9, and 8. My dh was raised Catholic, I was raised Baptist (of some southern flavor). After 14 years of marriage, I converted along with my daughters and we were received into the Church in January of 2006. (What took me so long?... well… it REALLY wasn’t about the husband, if you kwim…) Anyway, needless to say, my conversion has changed a lot of things… including my ability to ‘fit in’ to (and identify with) the protestant hsing circles I used to run in with ease and the curriculum I want to use. This group was recommended on The Catholic Spitfire Grill which I help moderate and I came over to take a peek. After the prot forums, these forums were a breath of fresh air and a balm to a battered soul… but I don’t (or didn’t) use a Catholic curriculum and felt a bit… out of place. Also, despite an increasing discontent, I didn’t see God prepping me for a curriculum change. (One of these years I’m gonna learn to recognize the signs.) Within two weeks of finding this group, I found some Catholic curriculum names on the Catholic Answers forums and one of them was JUST what I’d been *wishing* for. That seeming roadblock out of the way, I came back to see what was said about the curriculum over here… and figured I’d best just go ahead and say ‘howdy’. As the only Catholic homeschooler in the area (for at least another three months and then only one of two families), I am really looking forward to some Catholic hs fellowship!
Back to Top View NachoMama's Profile Search for other posts by NachoMama

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Anne. You've come to the right place!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged  

Welcome to the board, Anne. It's great to "see" you here. I recognize you from the LLL board (I only lurked so you don't know me. ) This is a great place to be. It's my absolute favorite place online. The ladies here are all very warm, welcoming, and powerful prayer warriors.

A big welcome also to Denise, Fuzzy, and Hoosiermama.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 07 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged  

Michaela wrote:
Welcome to the board, Anne. It's great to "see" you here. I recognize you from the LLL board (I only lurked so you don't know me. ) This is a great place to be. It's my absolute favorite place online. The ladies here are all very warm, welcoming, and powerful prayer warriors.

Thanks! I sure appreciate the warm welcome! (I kinda feel like the resident pariah over there so when I first saw that you said you knew me from LLL, I went back to check the 'great to see you part! Thanks again!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged  

Nacho Mama! I've read your posts on LLL and I was a regular on the SL forums years ago before you converted.

You endure the heat over there, friend! Welcome and jump right in. The water is positively temperate here.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged  

Bookswithtea wrote:
Nacho Mama! I've read your posts on LLL and I was a regular on the SL forums years ago before you converted.

You endure the heat over there, friend! Welcome and jump right in. The water is positively temperate here.

Thanks! You guys have me ... in a good way...

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged  

Hi Fuzzy! My Pampered Chef expert! I agree -- I love all the emoticons!!

And welcome to hoosiermama, Anne and Denise too!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:02am | IP Logged  

Hi,

My name is Holly, we live in Connecticut. I have 5 kids and one in God's care. Tara is 7, the twins (otherwise known as the dynamic duo or the troublesome trucks depending on the day) Joshua and Nadia are 5 1/2, Tegan is 2 and Keara is 7 months. We are Byzantine Catholics in the Ruthenian Rite and attend Roman Mass and Byzantine Mass interchangeably. Our son Joshua was born in end stage renal failure causing my twins to be taken in an emergency C-section (sigh!). He suffered through kidney failure for the first 15 months until I donated my kidney to him. He is doing OK, but recently we discovered that those first few days in the NICU caused him 50% hearing loss. Unfortunately, I must have Csections because of the twins.

I have been homeschooling for 2 years and it has been up and down. I tend towards Classical but my kids don't yet. We use an eclectic mix of stuff and I have posted erracticly on Sonlight Forums, Well Trained MInd Forums, and RC History.

Holly

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 09 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

Just a brief intro and then (probably) back to "lurk-mode"...

Married 22 years. I'm 42. We're retired Army (well, dh is retired, I did 3 years just about forever ago.) We live in central Texas.

As you can tell by my screenname, I like to knit. A lot. I see there are lots of knitters here and I'm thrilled about that! My oldest dd "picked" that name for me for forums and IM... she thought it most appropriate.

I have 6 living children and 10 little saints.

• Pat, son, 21, homeschool graduate active duty Army currently deployed (coming for R&R soon!)
  • Sean, son, 19+, homeschool graduate, currently working fulltime and enlisting in the army after Pat goes back to his duty.
  • Kellie, 13, 9th grade
  • Katie, 11, 5th grade
  • Abbie, 8, 3d grade
  • John-Paul, 1, and an absolute joy!

We've been homeschooling for 14 years. We've used Seton, Kolbe, followed Laura Berquists recommendations (sometimes "strictly" sometimes loosely) and were enrolled in MODG.

I've been experiencing a bit of homeschool burnout and am hoping that I can get a little shot in the arm here!
Back to Top View extremeknitter's Profile Search for other posts by extremeknitter Visit extremeknitter's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged  

OHHHH, Extreme Knitter, I can see you and I are going to get along great (I have a Catie 15 and a John-Paul 4) as well as a few other tikes but the knitting .... I am a fanatic also. You might check the Our Lady's Loom forum as we've discussed some knitting there ... and I'm always on the look-out for more discussions about this fabulous art-craft!

Welcome to the board and if this board doesn't get you that little shot in the arm I don't know what will!

Blessings and hugs and welcome again!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 10 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged  

Thank you, Mary! I did go into Our Lady's Loom and loved the knitting discussions there. While I was waiting on approval, I so longed to dive into some of the knitting discussions!

I may disappear for a short bit. Today is a very good day. I received the privilege of becoming godmother to another darling baby girl and when we returned home from the reception, my oldest son was here to surprise us! He is home for 16 days of R&R. I may even put down the needles for this!    (okay, maybe not, but......)
Back to Top View extremeknitter's Profile Search for other posts by extremeknitter Visit extremeknitter's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:36pm | IP Logged  

Hey, Extremeknitter!!! I know who you are!! Welcome to the boards. This is such a wonderful place. Enjoy the book too.

Extremeknitter is my guide as I knit my first project in over a decade!! She's teaching my children to knit as well as a bunch of others in our homeschool group. Enjoy your son's visit.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:44pm | IP Logged  

thanks, KC! I will definitely be enjoying Pat!

LynnB
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged  

HI

I am Lynn, wife to Michael and mama to 11 wonderful children rangeing in age from 18 to 10mths. Our eldest 2 children have graduated from our home school and both are studying at university towards bachelor degree's. Our 3rd child while still completing yr 10 here at home, has started studying at tafe towards a certificate in veterinary nursing. We have a couple of kids with special needs one with Down Syndrome another with a non specified intellectual delay and a few with varying degree's of dyslexia.

We live in Australia on the beautiful north coast of NSW and share our corner of the world with our 2 dogs ,a cat, 12 horses, 14 goats, 9 cows and whole lot of chickens, ducks and geese. I often drop in & browse through this forum so thought it was about time I join in.    

Lynn
Back to Top View LynnB's Profile Search for other posts by LynnB

NachoMama
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged  

LynnB wrote:
HI

I am Lynn, wife to Michael and mama to 11 wonderful children rangeing in age from 18 to 10mths. Our eldest 2 children have graduated from our home school and both are studying at university towards bachelor degree's. Our 3rd child while still completing yr 10 here at home, has started studying at tafe towards a certificate in veterinary nursing. We have a couple of kids with special needs one with Down Syndrome another with a non specified intellectual delay and a few with varying degree's of dyslexia.

We live in Australia on the beautiful north coast of NSW and share our corner of the world with our 2 dogs ,a cat, 12 horses, 14 goats, 9 cows and whole lot of chickens, ducks and geese. I often drop in & browse through this forum so thought it was about time I join in.    

Lynn

Welcome Lynn! What a great family you have! I'm new here too and look forward to 'running into' you here more!

Anne

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged  

Hey welcome Lynn
Pleased to see you've made your way over here
Some of you may remember me mentioning my IRL friend with 11 children before, yep it's Lynn.

Welcome to all the other new members here too.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Lynn! My husband has a half-brother who live in Australia as well!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

dani
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Dani and I'm wife to Michael and mom to four boys, Sean (20), Cade & Connor (identical 12), and Quinn (6). We live in Maryland. I've been homeschooling for about ten years now. I've used a variety of curriculum over the years. Quinn was born with Down syndrome so I've had to get creative with teaching and documenting his progress (he does not like to do written work...he just likes to play and look at his books). In my search to better serve him I ran across lapbooking and it seems to be working out very well for us.

Nice to meet you all.
Back to Top View dani's Profile Search for other posts by dani

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged  

Dani,

Where in MD are you? We're in AA County. I too have a young special needs child so I have been creaative with documenting what we do.

In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged  

mom3aut1not wrote:
Dani,

Where in MD are you? We're in AA County. I too have a young special needs child so I have been creaative with documenting what we do.

In Christ,
Deborah

Hi I just wanted to say that I use The Excelsior Academy as my oversite and they are very helpful and let you hs without having to be "creative" when we document. The price is reasonable IMO and when it comes times for highschool they will help you document your information. I just thought I'd throw out that for all Maryland hsers.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version