Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2006) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I am new here and new to Homeschooling too. I will be homeschooling my two oldest boys ages 6 and 7 and they will be in 1st and 2nd grade. We have boy/girl twins who will be in our parish pre-school 5 days a week for half days. Our newest daughter, Mary Clare, is Chinese and we came home with her the night before Easter this year. She is such a joy!

Anyway, from what I can tell my 'philosophy' will be part MODG, part Montesorri and part CM. I am sure we will work it out as we move along. The boys were in a private Catholic school that we loved but for financial and other reasons it is HS this year. I am really excited about it because I have long been interested in HS but the circumstances never worked in my favor (DH wasn't convinced! )

So we're off and set to officially start Sept. 5th and we are joining a TORCH group too, a very active one.

I know I will learn so much, I already have, just by lurking! BTW I found this forum, searching for ways to make a Liturgical notebook that was mentioned in a wonderful book I bought.....Catholic Mosaic, y'all seem to have heard of it!   

Tracy
..trying to figure out the siggy thing..
www.onemoretracy.blogspot.com
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

ma_young98
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 8:24am | IP Logged  

Hello,
I have been reading this forum off and on for a while but am finally officially joining :) I am Michele wife to Eric. We have 5 dc from 5 months to 8 years, one boy! We have been homeschooling from the beginning here in Illinois.
We are in the process of moving about an hour and a half away so things are a little crazy right now. My dh started his new job about a month ago and I am here trying to sell the house with all 5 kiddos!
I look forward to being a little more active on this forum. I sure have enjoyed all I have read so far!!!
Thank you for those of you who have time to post, I don't seem to get to very often!
Michele
Back to Top View ma_young98's Profile Search for other posts by ma_young98

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged  

Greetings from Central Wisconsin. My husband Michael and I are raising our 5 children (4 sons 10,5,2,1, and 1 daughter, age 7) in Marshfield, Wisconsin. We have always homeschooled and love the lifestyle and family learning that we can do at home. I discovered Real Learning last year and am currently looking over my highlights as we plan for the next school year. We just moved 1 month ago, so I am hoping to find all of my school items and get some order before Labor Day!   Enjoying the forum and all of your great ideas!

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

PinkMomma3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 3:09pm | IP Logged  

Hello.
My name is Melissa, I am wife to Darren and mom to three lovely girls, 6,4 & 20 months. We live in Colorado and are starting our first year of homeschooling with kindergarten for the 6yo and some pre k for the 4yo.

I am hoping that this place will provide me with a nice soft place to land amidst the noise & confussion!

Melissa
Back to Top View PinkMomma3's Profile Search for other posts by PinkMomma3

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 10:47pm | IP Logged  

Hello!
I have just registered on the forum as 'Mrs.K', the nickname given to me by my husband of twenty years. We have seven children ages 4months to 15, and have always homeschooled. I enjoy making rosaries as my personal creative outlet.I am currently reading Real Learning, and I have been encouraged and inspired by it as well as the 4Real blogs. I would like to be able to join in the forum conversations with all of you unique, wonderful ladies who share this Catholic flavored lifestyle of learning. Ladies who can relate to days like ours today with dh and ds 15 arguing over who's turn it is with the Unfinished Tales book, ds 13 going off to piano lesson wearing the maille coif and unfinished hauberk (a la King Peter) he's making, 3 dd's transforming the whole front porch with rock caves and leaf beds and grass hay habitats for their (plastic) lions and tigers and bears and horses and cows etc etc oh my, and the sweet Downy 2yo forever sprinkling the baby with holy water and blessing her....I hope to find kindred spirits here, and I already wish I could have some of you over for tea, no liniment in the cake, I promise, but please call first so I can find the kitchen table...
Blessings,
Mrs.K

Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged  

Greetings!
My name is Elena and I'm married to Peter, just celebrating 27 years. We have six children here ages 17, 13, 11, 8, 7 and 1, and our baby Raphael in heaven.

I have been homeschooling since our oldest was in kindergarten.   I loved a lot of Charlotte Mason's ideas but sort of got side tracked when my oldest had a severe reading problem that required a lot of special remediation and I was such a novice!

But now in my 12 year and with 5 students and a toddler I'm looking forward to an interesting school year and gleaning wisdom from all of you ladies!
Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

waldenmommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 15 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Laura and someone from a group in my home state sent me here. I have a two year old son and a six month old daughter, Joseph and Camille. We are trying to decide if homeschooling is right for us. I am trying a little bit of hit or miss homeschooling with Joseph- taking advantage of "Schooling" moments in our busy and crazy lives.
So, Hi!
Laura
Back to Top View waldenmommy's Profile Search for other posts by waldenmommy

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm new here. I found you all through Elizabeth's writings in the Arlington Catholic Herald and Catholic Exchange. I've been lurking for a week or so and learning a lot. I'm so thankful to have found a place where faithful Catholic women talk about family and home education.

I am the mother of a two year old boy. My heart would like to homeschool him, but my mind is telling me that as social as he is (and as disorganized/lazy as I tend to be), he'd be better off in a private school setting. Public school is not even an option, those of you in Northern Virginia will understand why. We are planning to send him to Montessori (preferably Catholic) for a couple of years and then re-evaluate for elementary school.

I am a recent convert from fundamentalist protestantism, and I do have a blog at http://contemplatingchristian.blogspot.com, but can't figure out how to make a signature to include it. I am twenty-five years old, which I suspect is much younger than most of you (just based on family size, since I'd have had to be awfully busy to have 6 or 7 kids like many of you by now -- maybe in ten years or so!) , so I am going to try to just soak in all the wisdom you ladies offer and keep my big mouth (keyboard?) shut as much as possible.

Thanks for having this wonderful community available.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged  

My name is Annie my dh John and I have 6 children almost 12yrs to 11 months We have 5 girls and one boy. We have always homeshooled and this year we will add to the challenge by hopefully moving. I found this lovely site thanks to Rebecca who brought "Real Learning" to a homeschool meeting. I loved the book and lately had been reading some of Elizabeth Foss"s articles so I searched until I found this site. I have been lurking for awhile and all ready learned so much. Thanks Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged  

hello

i'm belatedly answering the instruction to please introduce yourself.

i'm elizabeth in london, uk, with dd nearly 6, ds 4 and dd 2. i've been muddling along for the last year with home educating dd but now i'm feeling in need of a bit more direction. i hope that 'real learning' the book and the forum will help in this regard!

i've already learnt so much from other posts and look forward to sharing more with you all.

elizabeth
Back to Top View doris's Profile Search for other posts by doris

Victoria
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged  

Hi Everyone!
My name is Vicki and I live in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona with my incredible husband, amazing identical "twinnies"(as my 8yr old daughters refer to themselves),our pug(Luigi)and our two cats(Stella & Lily-both are actually males but my daughters reminded us that the cats would not mind!)
I found my way to this board from following the CHC group posting about Catholic Mosaic. I am excited to use this resource this year and I am currently reading Literature Alive! by Cay. It is an incredibly inspiring resource of information and I am learning so much. I am also excited to read Elizabeth's book Real Learning.
I will be up late tonight devouring all the past posts! Thank you everyone for sharing your gifts with those of us who need a little push in the right direction!

Blessings
Vicki
Back to Top View Victoria's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria

angiesherm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Angela. I was referred to this board from a friend of mine. I think this is a great place! I have been married for 9 years to a wonderful man, Dave. We have three children, Brett, Ryan and Hallie. They are amazing! My husband is a paramedic/firefighter and in the Army Nat'l Guard. He just recently got back from a year and a half deployment, so we are extremely happy to have him home. I had Hallie while he was gone. I don't want to ever do that again!!! It's so much nicer when your husband is home for the birth of your children!

In my free time I enjoy scrapbooking, aerobics, camping and water skiing. We recently bought a new boat and camper and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

We do not homeschool right now, but are considering it. I just have to talk my husband into it first! If anyone has any advice, I'd love it!

Anyway, thanks for letting me tell you a bit about myself. I can't wait to get to know all of you mazing ladies!

God Bless,
Angela
Back to Top View angiesherm's Profile Search for other posts by angiesherm

Erin VW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 6:28am | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Erin. I found this board because I couldn't find a tattered copy of one of Elizabeth's old articles and desperately wanted to share it with a friend. What a blessing! I not only found out that I could get fresh new copies of all my favorite articles that have inspired me over the years, but I also found a whole host of faith filled women!

I confess I have been getting to know you and sharing in your jokes and prayers all summer and am only now joining. It sure has been comforting meeting you.

My husband, Steve and I have nine children with the tenth due to arrive in February. Mary Kate is 17, Tim 15, Bridget 13, Maggie 10, Tommy 8, Annie 6, Jack 3, Nick and Lilly are 8 months.

I have a wild homeschooling history. We homeschooled until our oldest was in 5th gr. Then the children went to a catholic school run by the Nashville Dominicans (my youngest sister is in this order). After a few years, and a move, some of the children were then again taught at home. Then back to school, and now I am curently trying to talk my husband into letting me homeschool again. He somehow isnt sure; that with a 3 yr old, two 8months olds and being pregnant that Schooling might not happen!! Crazy man!

Sorry for rambling. I'm keeping you all in my prayers and so looking forward to learning from all of you.

Sincerely in Him,
Erin
Back to Top View Erin VW's Profile Search for other posts by Erin VW

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged  

Wow!! I'm amazed at the wisdom, faith, humor, and fellowship on this site!! Wishing we could just have a big ol' tea party!

Well, I'm Katherine in southwest Michigan. I've been married to David since '89 and we have four living children. 15 months ago we suffered the loss of our eldest child, our ten year old son, Kaden Michael (1994-2005). We are blessed to have Cassidy Grace '97, Collin '99, Claire '01, and Ramsey '05. The baby was born just two weeks after his big brother's death

We have homeschooled on and off the past several years due to Kaden's special needs: Aspergers (highly functioning austism), sensory integration, high anxiety, etc. We really do love homeschooling!!

We are waiting to find out if we will be going to Peru as a missionary family! Hopefully we'll know by the end of September. We are just plugging along as usual for now.

We enjoy gardening, animals, swimming, biking, sports, new at lapbooking, cooking, and most of all, practicing our Beautiful Catholic Faith! I'm trying to have a more Liturgical Year focus....

Thanks for all the great wealth of info here!!
Peace and blessings, Katherine
Back to Top View krygerzoo's Profile Search for other posts by krygerzoo

Sharie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

I am Sharie (Sharon)Cundall from Guernsey, Wyoming.   We are ranchers - dh is 4th generation, I am a transplant from Tucson, AZ.   We are a cow-calf ranch and run about 350 head. We also raise Paint horses and grow certified organic alfalfa.    

We have 5 dc - 20 ds (now in college), 17yo ds, 15yo ds, 11yo dd, 7yo ds and will be starting our 16th year of homeschooling on Tuesday.   None of our children have ever attended public school, although our two teen boys are now playing football and basketball for the local ps.
Dd dances one day a week....and we all work hard to keep this place running.

Our family struggles with dyslexia and a few with auditory processing. It has been an interesting journey learning about how to help my children learn. Though it has sometimes been trying and I have felt overwhelmed by the task, I am very thankful and praise God for calling us to this incredible lifestyle.   I wouldn't trade the closeness I have with my children for anything!

I recognize many of you from other groups over the years and look forward to sharing here.

Blessings,
Sharie

Back to Top View Sharie's Profile Search for other posts by Sharie Visit Sharie's Homepage

booklegger
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged  

Hello. My name is Tracey. I am not currently a home-schooler but am looking into it since my now 6th grader will be placed in high school next year. The DoD school here has the middle school and the high school combined. Maybe I am overly protective but I am just not ready for my 11 year old to attend school with 12th graders.

Bailey has ADHD but is in gifted programs and has been accelerated for most of his school years. He is "dual exceptional" so I have some qualms about taking that on by ourselves.

Sean, the baby, begins Japanese kindergarten in a couple of weeks. He is 4 years old. He will be learning to read, write and speak Japanese. Plus, we will get to dress him in those cute Japanese school uniforms. I am hopeful that I can learn more Japanese through his education.

We live in Japan, far north on the main island. There is a military base in our town, hence the DoD school. I truly love Japan and our unique experience that comes from living here.

Thank you for providing this forum!

Tracey

Back to Top View booklegger's Profile Search for other posts by booklegger

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I'm Jodie, in the high desert of Eastern OR. My dh is a firefigher over here. We have 6 (to be 7 sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas) children ages 9 and under.

My dh is a cradle Catholic and I'm a convert of about 8 years now (Easter '98)

We started with homeschooling our children and pretty much do our version of unschooling.. throwing in whatever may work for us so comes out being pretty eclectic in the end I think.

I read an article by Elizabeth Foss just the other night.. that had a line about 7 kids, a dog and a dh that travels and couldn't resist peeking at her blog. Then today I had a bit of time so I stopped in there again and her two most recent posts directed me here and then my fingers were just itching to get in on some of the conversations.

I hadn't found a truly Catholic bulletin board format and the email list I'm on, while good, just doesn't let me make any real connection with people (because of the format). So this was a lovely thing to find.. even a board for unschooling which I never would have expected
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged  

Hello, my name is LeeAnn. I have been lurking here for awhile My husband, David, and I have 4 children on Earth: Ben 13, Dennis 12, Laura 7 and Philip 2, and 6 in heaven. We are starting our seventh year of homeschooling, but I still feel I have so much to learn and so so so much room for improvement! We use an electic mix of books and ideas.
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

jhigdon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 16 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged  

My name is Jennifer, and I have three children...two girls ages 5 and 2, a son who is 3, and another on the way in December.

I bought the book Real Learning after seeing the suggestion on Danielle Bean's website and I fell in love with it.

I look forward to becoming a regular on this board.

God Bless
Back to Top View jhigdon's Profile Search for other posts by jhigdon

ghislaine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 18 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged  

Hello, I am ghislaine. I have a husband and a son named Ferdinand (3 years old). I came upon this website through Elizabeth Foss column (arlington Catholic Herald). I live in maryland. (I used to live in virginia).

I haven't decided whether to homeschool or not, I am torn. WHat I do find, is that the information provided on this website is EXTREMELY helpful. For me, I was brought up that a Catholic girl (woman) does not control her life, her reading, her homelife. Ever. This website is an extremely helpful website.

Back to Top View ghislaine's Profile Search for other posts by ghislaine

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version