Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2006) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:13pm | IP Logged  

I am Maria from Arkansas - This our first year homeschooling. We have a first/second grader, a 4yo and a 2 yo.

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged  

Hello everyone! My name is Caroline and I have one son Matthew, 2,and one in heaven. We live in the Bay Area, CA. We're planning on homeschooling Matthew once he's older, right now I just want to introduce him to the world and encourage a love of learning.

I do have on confession, though. I haven't read Real Learning yet. I'm waiting for it to arrive from Amazon, though! I am so excited about this board!

God bless!
Back to Top View Caroline's Profile Search for other posts by Caroline

eschuetter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 08 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged  

Hello, everyone,
My name is Erica. I live with my husband of 8 years and family in OH. Our oldest ds is 4.5 yo and his younger brother is 19 months.

A friend pointed me to this board based on our homeschooling discussions. We're doing preschool kind of things with ds (4yo) and just trying to keep it fun. Being a planner, I'm already looking into what I want to do for preK/K this fall.

I deeply appreciate all of the shared wisdom and look forward to being part of this community.
Back to Top View eschuetter's Profile Search for other posts by eschuetter

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged  

Hello everybody,

I am so happy to discover this forum and to join you.

I have already started reading some of your messages and love the support you all give one another.

I am a homeschooling mum to two girls aged 5 and 7 in France. I could not put them into the local school because they are "very gifted" and could not fit into the strict norms of the French system (the teachers were not able to accept them working in a different way or being in a higher age group). Also they do not mix well with other children of their age. They are so, so timid they are almost petrified, but at the same time they are yearning to mix. People comment about this and it makes it worse. So I opted for homeschooling using the Montessori method which allows them to be themselves and for us to discover their full potential without inhibitions.

I never intended to do homeschooling and I am still floundering with all the preparation work even though we have been doing it for over a year now! There are so many things I want to prepare for my children but I don't seem to get half of them done and they always seem to be one step ahead of me all the time.

Does anyone else feel like this ?!

Blessings   

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged  

hi, I am a cradle catholic (who lapsed and is once again practicing)homeschooling mom of 3. My oldest, A is almost 9. My middle, C, is almost 6. Baby B is 16 months. we use sonlight's core 1+2 and are looking forward to core 3 with great joy (bc we love American history!)

I am an avid reader (admittedly of a lot of twaddle- love the ckick lit and the light/ humorous mystery genres) and hope to raise children who gobble up books they way dh and I do. My goal for homeschooling is to make sure my kids can learn whatever they turn their minds to.
I have enjoyed browsing your forum.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

eashearer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 09 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged  

Caroline wrote:
Hello everyone! My name is Caroline and I have one son Matthew, 2,and one in heaven. We live in the Bay Area, CA. We're planning on homeschooling Matthew once he's older, right now I just want to introduce him to the world and encourage a love of learning.

I do have on confession, though. I haven't read Real Learning yet. I'm waiting for it to arrive from Amazon, though! I am so excited about this board!

God bless!

Hi Caroline!

I was a little worried there for a moment when I thought I was the only lurker on this forum who had not officially started homeschooling yet! Glad you're here!

My name is Elizabeth. I have been married for almost seven years and have a son (2 1/2) and a daughter (almost 8 mos.), and one baby in heaven ('02).We live in Texas and love it here. You all should come join us. No state income tax! Unfortunately I don't have hobbies like I used to, but I'm looking forward to having them again sometime soon. In the past, I have loved reading nice long novels, writing creatively, singing (in the shower), watching old movies, swimming in the warm Texas sun, and spending snuggle time with the best husband in the world.

I am a homeschool "success story", you could say. I homeschooled from grades 9 -12 in the early 90's and then went on to a two year college and finally transfered to UT Austin where I graduated with a BA in English...

You all are doing a wonderful thing for your children by taking responsibility for their education. I am so grateful to my mom for taking the chance when homeschooling was rare and not as trendy as it is today. She heard plenty of "how will she get socialization?" and other silly irksome questions, but she forged on. I'm looking forward to homeschooling my own little ones in the near future, and I want to be an encouragement to you all and say thank you for doing what you're doing! It's a big sacrifice, but it's worth it!
Back to Top View eashearer's Profile Search for other posts by eashearer

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I am Mommy to five beautiful children, ages 1 to 8 (3dd and 2ds) and wife to the most wonderful man in the world (imho). We live and learn in beautiful, but liberal, Washington state.
In Christ,
Christine
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

MamaJen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged  

Hi, some of you know me as "MamaJen" from various hs lists out there - most notably SL-Catholic! I am a Catholic "revert" (6 years ago this Easter!), dh (a former atheist Catholic convert) and I have been married 14 years, we have 4 sons (9yo down to 3 yo) and we hope for more. We live near Atlanta, Georgia.

We've always homeschooled the kids, using a *very* eclectic approach. Mostly Sonlight, though this year we added in some CHC stuff with great success. The recent Sonlight mess has really got me to thinking about what direction I want to take in the future. I'm not completely sure how I feel about Charlotte Mason's educational philosophies, but since most of the people I like and respect like her, I think I need to learn more!

Looking forward to chatting with you all...

-Jen
mommy to 4 boys (9, 6.5, 5, 3)
Back to Top View MamaJen's Profile Search for other posts by MamaJen

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
My name is Hollee and dh and I live in Southwestern Va. I grew up in NoVa, as did dh, and we lived in the Shenandoah Valley area for 12 yrs until relocating down here last year. We have 6 dc ages 10 down to 5 months. I am a cradle Catholic and dh converted in '99. It has been quite an experience for us to come down this way to an area where there are not a lot of Catholics and only one other family in our parish homeschools. I was used to a much larger Catholic community and of course the more conservative diocese of Arlington.   

We have homeschooled since the beginning and currently are doing 4th, 3rd and k. Some things we enjoy are geocaching, reading, hiking, reading, cooking, entertaining, and nature stuff. I am looking forward to joining in the discussions here and have been lurker for too long!

Hollee
Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Tracy, and I am an unschooling mama of Samuel, who will be 5 on Monday. I've been meaning to join this forum for a long time now! I am glad to finally be here, as I am always on the lookout for more homeschooling resources and support! Looking forward to meeting more of you!

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged  

My name is Celeste, wife to dh and mom to five daughters, and our last name is not Bennett. We live in Nebraska most of the time, Virginia some of the time.

We homeschool our two eldest daughters (ages 8.5 and 7.5) using mostly Montessori; next year I'm thinking about using some CHC because I won't have as much time to prepare materials. They are in a 6-9 Catechesis of the Good Shepherd atrium. The middle daughters (ages 5.5 and 3) are and will be in a Montessori children's house. Our youngest is almost four months old. The three oldest take Suzuki violin lessons, and I am working on my COGS 3-6 certification.

My sister Jennifer is a forum legend, but I beg you not to hold me to that high a standard. I'll be listening to y'all's wisdom more than I will be talking. Thanks for the good stuff I've already learned!

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2006 at 4:34pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

I joined the Yahoogroup the other day. The board looks quite informative so I decided to sign up here too.

My name is Theresa, and I currently have a 4-year-old son and a 1-year-old son. We live in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'm not sure whether we have "just started" (very loosely) homeschooling our 4-year-old or are "about to start!" (as I am looking for a little more structure and for more materials to work with.)

DS1 is crazy about letters and words and again depending on definitions has either just begun or is ready to learn to read and write. We printed out sample pages for him to try from Explode the Code based on a recommendation read on this board, and we'll be ordering Volume 1. Also just sent away for Five in a Row, Volume 1. DS just loves to learn, and I'm very excited about helping him. Organization is my problem, so I'm glad there's almost a year and a half to experiment with homeschooling approaches and implement a structure that works for us before he is of legal school age.

So far, the Charlotte Mason approach as presented on this site sounds appealing. I plan to order the Real Learning book today. Want to learn more about classical education as well. Not sure how Five in a Row fits in but the "unit studies" approach seems to resemble how I have often envisioned homeschooling for our family. My husband runs a business from home and looks forward to participating in homeschooling, especially with hands-on projects.
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Joann in AL
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 17 2006 at 12:00pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Joann. We have 7 kids: 19,17,16,14,9,7,3
I am studying this Charlotte Mason method and wish I had taken time to learn about it years ago. We are closer to unschooling than anything else, but it seems we've left a few gaps. We need a little more structure. I have learned a lot from reading these forums! Perhaps someday I will be able to contribute!

Blessings,

Joann (AL)
Back to Top View Joann in AL's Profile Search for other posts by Joann in AL Visit Joann in AL's Homepage

Danielle
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged  

Hi all,

Okay, enough lurking! It's time I officially introduce myself here so that I can join the conversations on occasion... I am Danielle, homeschooling mom to 7 (#8 is due 9/06). I just love to stop by and soak up all the useful resources from the many bright and talented women who post here.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:38pm | IP Logged  

I'm so excited to have discovered these message boards! My name is Angel (Angela) and I am mom to 5 kids -- 9.5, 7 (in a few days), 3, and 6 month old boy twins. (I have 4 boys in all.) We've always homeschooled using a pretty eclectic approach that leaned heavily toward unschooling and the use of living books. Lately, however, we have been trying to tie everything together using a Montessori approach. I have *a lot* to learn about Montessori, though.

--Angel
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

mairejam5
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 26 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged  

HI,
My name is Maire and we have 4 dc ds (just turned)6, ds 4.5, dd (just turned) 2 (we like the Easter season), and a 4.5 month old ds. We've known we were going to homeschool since my first was 6 mo old, and consequently I have been slowly researching since then. I only recently discovered Charlotte Mason and am really excited. We started hs my oldest a little bit this last year just to get our "feet wet" so to speak because next year I'm jumping in with hs my sister. She's never been hs and she is graduating 8th gr this year.
Right now we are living in tight circumstances with my mother and 2 siblings while my husband starts his business (we have everything ready, we just need to pray for customers now!).
My number one hobby is READING!!! I also love to dance, sing and make experimental dishes based on some idea of some recipe but using whatever I happen to have in the house. We're in the middle of starting a garden and my husband is almost done building our chicken coup.
I found this group through the CCM Loop and finally decided to join because it is sooooo nice to be connected with other really Catholic people!
Maire in California
Back to Top View mairejam5's Profile Search for other posts by mairejam5

kate
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Mary Kate. I have just moved to the Raleigh area of North Carolina. I have four children aged 8-2. We are trying to get our feet under us after the move.

I love to read and I used to love needlework, but I haven't done too much of that over the last 8 years!

God bless,
Mary Kate
Back to Top View kate's Profile Search for other posts by kate

SueW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 08 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,
My name is Sue Wise, I live in the Seattle, Washington area, and my dh Mike and I have nine children (two graduating from college this year). We've homeschooled for fifteen years now   
We just found out we're moving (yikes!) to Fredericksburg, Virginia this summer. Do any of you know of Catholic homeschoolers in that area? I'm hoping for some direction regarding support groups and a good parish. My husband is heading out there to begin working at the end of this month (May) and the children and I will join him by August or so, after we sell our house.
Thanks in advance!
~Sue
Back to Top View SueW's Profile Search for other posts by SueW

afranciscan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 10 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged  

Hello, I've been reading threads for awhile and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Jennie Lou and I live on 10 acres in N CA. My children are 11ds, 9dd, 6dd, 3ds, 1dd and we are in the process of adopting a young sibling group from Liberia. My children have always been homeschooled (7 formal years now.) I am in the middle of reading Real Learning and thinking about what I will do differently next year. I just recently pulled out of almost a year of homeschool burnout. I'm finally excited again about homeschooling (at least most of the time )

I'm enjoying reading through this forum!
Jennie Lou
Back to Top View afranciscan's Profile Search for other posts by afranciscan Visit afranciscan's Homepage

cathmomof2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged  

Ya'll will have to bare with me while I try to get used to this format.
Hi! I'm Meghan from TX, and I'm so excited I found this board. I've been looking for a "Catholic" version to CM and had no idea that one actually existed...PRAISE GOD!!!!
Anyway, like I said, I live in Texas. Was born and raised in South Dakota and we moved down here almost 6 years ago (different town than we live in now).
My husband, Brett and I have three kids. Aidan (4 1/2), Emma (2 1/2) and Gianna (3 mos on the 17th of May). I'm a convert and Brett is a cradle catholic. Hmmm..what else about us. I just started "formally" (if you can call it that) homeschooling our oldest and so far so good.
I look forward to getting to know you all!
God Bless,
Meghan
Back to Top View cathmomof2's Profile Search for other posts by cathmomof2

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version