Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Why I am not to be trusted in the spring. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

lapazfarm wrote:
Mary Chris wrote:
I need to buy dirt .

LOL! For some reason this just cracks me up!

This is a little side step from the topic, but I imagine there are horse owners who would also laugh at the fact that I may need to buy redworms for composting (that's the garden angle ) while they have piles of manure full of hundreds of worms wiggling about.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Come on down Paula!! Peat would be great in this red clay!! You can drop off at each of the VA houses and meet all of us!!

MC- Truly nurseries are my weakness too. I can walk away from clothing, to-die-for shoes, cute purses, new furniture, and knick-knacks pretty easily... but get me around a bunch of plants and I just have to say "I'm ONLY here for mulch. I'm only here for mulch."   

Although as a result.... we've got a botany lesson right in our own yard!!

Out here amongst all the VWs -- we are so lucky as to have dh go get his Dad's tractor and PLOW the hard rock red clay soil.

And the Mint? Love it, love it, love it. But we have it in a wood container in full sun -- so it spreads - but it's in its third year and it hasn't taken over the whole garden just it's own little container area. The purple flowers and the fun of smelling it make it a huge hit here. It looks really pretty next to Shasta daisies that also spread well.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Leslie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 26 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Leslie

Thank you Elizabeth and Mary Chris for the ideas. Rachel had said she was looking into square foot gardening this year, and the idea had appealed to me. My one concern was that I couldn't seem myself out there constructing the wooden frame with the little ones at my elbows. I like the idea of purchasing a ready made one (at least one closer to being made, anyway!). My dh suggested converting the sandbox to a veggie garden today (veggies are what I want most, although so far I only have 1 tomato plant in a big pot). I think I'd rather keep the sandbox though. So far, we have the tomato plant, and the kids each planted a few flowers that could tolerate a lot of sun--I think we have a few (I mean 2 or 3 ) pansies, verbana, a daisy plant, a begonia plant and a snap dragon plant. Each of the older kids has their own plot of earth--only a small triangle that already had a bush or two planted in it. We added some soil (which is sadly so much more expensive than the plants!) and just went for it. Since I had no idea what I was doing when we started I announced it was just an experiment and we'd all learn as we go along. I'm not sure it is the most beautiful garden, but we're having fun...and I'm excited to do more :)

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

OH! This thread is about gardening! I thought it was about not being trusted to finish a school day when the great outdoor Spring weather is beckoning! Off to buy some dirt to add to our very rocky garden!
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Shari in NY wrote:
OH! This thread is about gardening! I thought it was about not being trusted to finish a school day when the great outdoor Spring weather is beckoning!

Shari,

We got that going on to!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 28 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

teachingmom wrote:

I bought two of these grow beds this year in order to try some square foot type gardening in my very small yard. I have strawberries and raspberries in one of them and will be putting tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some lettuce or an herb or two in the other.

I'm terrible with spatial things. What size would I need to plant six tomato plants?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Oh wow....I haven't started my garden yet due to our impending monve (May 3) but oh, how I am yearning to!

I'm going to check out those grow beds!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Elizabeth wrote:
teachingmom wrote:

I bought two of these grow beds this year in order to try some square foot type gardening in my very small yard. I have strawberries and raspberries in one of them and will be putting tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some lettuce or an herb or two in the other.

I'm terrible with spatial things. What size would I need to plant six tomato plants?

Elizabeth,

If you use the square foot method, you would make that box into nine 1 foot squares. You can put 1 tomato plant into each square. So it would depend if you want one box of all tomatoes. What else do you want to plant in them? You could put 6 into one box, the ladders and cages we were talking about should help them fit into one box.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 28 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thanks for answering the question, Mary Chris. Yes, I bought two of the 3ft x 3ft beds. That gives me 9 square feet per garden bed. I noticed that they also sell 3ft x 6ft beds. But I wanted to separate my fruit and my vegetables since strawberries spread.

I also bought a tomato cage and a set of vegetable cages from Gardeners.com. They are square, instead of the usual round shape, and each fit in a one-foot square space. It would be a tight fit to put them side by side, but I plan to stagger them, and I think they'll be fine.

And a sort-of-absent husband is exactly the reason that I splurged and bought the pre-made beds. This is one of the busiest times of the year for dh at work and he has evenings each week when he has to attend functions related to work. Add his long commute and his coaching soccer for one of our dds and he has very little time to do much else but normal spring yard upkeep.

So I knew that if we were going to have raised beds in time for planting, the premade ones were the way to go. I also learned from some online searching about raised gardening that most people have to replace wooden ones after a number of years since you cannot use treated lumber for a garden. Hopefully these will last a long time.    And I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are made in England - not China!

Elizabeth wrote:
Leslie,
Irene's idea might be perfect for you. Those beds can be assembled here in Virginia and then, if you really wanted to, you could dump the dirt before you move again, dissemble them and take them to the next post. At least I think you could.

Leslie, I think Elizabeth is right. You could easily move these to your next home. Just keep the box they come in because they are a strange shape to pack.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Has anyone used these?

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 28 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

ladybugs wrote:
Has anyone used these?

No. But I saw them and was tempted to try it. Let us know how it goes if you do!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Maria,

Those do look really cool. I just worry that my over the top, appearances only community, would write me up.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Mary Chris wrote:
Maria,

Those do look really cool. I just worry that my over the top, appearances only community, would write me up.

My husband made three of those. So far no one has complained. He did put them in the back yard. We already have a few tomatoes on them.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Thanks, Ruth - that's great!

Mary Chris, the home we're moving into has HOA dues and I'm not sure what the limitations are...

I'm thinking if I hang them in the backyard with the amount of heat and sunlight we get here...I should have a great yield....

Oh, yum...

I better do more than just think about it!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Off to make some of those great upsidedown tomato things! And off to try and round up some wood for another bed. The snow seems gone for good this time!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version