Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: What's your history next year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well, haven't completely decided with my highschooler but my 11 yo maverick who insisted on doing American History this year, will be continuing with the same spine from where we left off and filling in with living books. We are currently reading about the Louisiana purchase. We wove in a number of the Holling C Holling books which he loved and will continue to do this.

I will likely have the oldest 2 do the same history, whatever it is. A lot depends on how far they get this year in ancient. I'd like to keep it sequential - but I do have my dd asking for modern/American history. It is just that we are finishing ancient history this year and hopefully will get to early church history (RC History/Kolbe based program mix). Anyways, we are still in the planning stages with them.

Glad to see there will be loads of ideas on whatever history we decide to run with as it looks like a great variety here.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2008 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote Erin

ALmom wrote:
   It is just that we are finishing ancient history this year and hopefully will get to early church history (RC History/Kolbe based program mix). Anyways, we are still in the planning stages with them.

Janet
We have just started Early church History, I'm pretty excited about it hoping the dc will be as it unfolds.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

We'll be finishing up the Sonlight 1 + 2 "Intro to World History" until December. Then I think we'll start the SL 3 "Intro to American History" Part 1 in January.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Our will be 11th grader (next year) will be continuing his Trisms, using Rise of Nations (RON),http://www.trisms.com, and our will be 8th grader is going to be in Years 1 and 2 of the www.simplycharlottemason history http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/history-mo dules-overview/ We'll be using Modules 1 and 2 together, because I didn't realize they re-did the modules, and I did Year 1 (World History Overview) this year. I had figured we'd finish it all by her 12th grade year, so now I have to put two together, but it should work OK.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Pamin OZ wrote:
We'll finish up using Diana Waring's Ancient History...

I've wondered before about Diana Waring's history. Have you found it to be workable for a Catholic family? Does it require a lot of changes?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We are going to take a break from "standard" history and focus on World Geography. I expect we will learn a lot of history along the way, but the focus will be Geography.

At least that is the current plan...

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

Books,

I'm not Catholic. I don't think there would be a lot of problem in the history side. DW's interpretations of things... well, we find we have to investigate a fair bit of what she says as she is very enthusiastic about things that might bear a little more ?? circumspection?? caution??

HTH

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

We'll be studying history in the fall. We study one major subject each season. The "plan" is this: Sept.-The Alamo; Oct.-The Gold Rush;, Nov. WWI. We'll use library resources and some hands-on activities. Of course, this all depends on Miss Margaret (due 7/16/)and interest levels. This is for my middle kids. The olders listen to, watch, or read what interests them.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Well, we will be continuing with a chronological study. We're currently hanging w/Charlemagne in the Early Middle Ages, testing out Year 2 ofTapestry of Grace (TOG), while supplementing church history with The Story of the Church. I definitely didn't choose the easiest time period for experimenting with this fairly Protestant curriculum!

Anyway, I'd like to wrap things up over the summer, with somewhat informal coverage of the Renaissance and Reformation, so we can get to Early Exploration and US History again. I'm still not sure if we'll go back to TOG after skipping the second unit of their Year 2 curriculum. sighhhh It's nice to have the various age level helps all there in one place, and there's a lot of appeal, but it is pricey. Decisions, decisions...

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

PDyer wrote:
I think we're going to Tour the Continents, but we're having so much fun with Flower Fairies I haven't given next year too much thought yet. And she is only six.   

Tour the Continents was a BLAST! We did it a few years ago with my now 10 yo. We covered the door with posters of each continent. We were able to interview a friend from South America and my son was very proud to show my friend the relief map we made of South America.

As far as next year goes, we'll glaze over Egypt during summer and then in the school year we'll cover Ancient Greece and Rome using History Links. Over summer, I intend to start Tour the Country with my current third grader. I might include the current 5th grader on this since he missed out on this whole thing (I had a baby shortly before we moved from Europe when he was supposed to do this) and it's fun!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I think we'll be ready for post-Civil War through modern history but dd, being the complicated female she is, is adament that she doesn't want to do USA stuff again. So I'm contemplating ordering Where the Brook and River Meet for a Canadian view of the time period.
Maybe...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version