Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Beware of Pyrex Shrapnel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cornomama, I would much rather use my cast iron skillet, but for now the one i have is far to small to feed all of us! A 9x13 is too small at this point! I was using an 11x16.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I had a thought..

I was canning jam yesterday and I've always learned to NOT set the hot jars directly on a counter because they'll cool to fast and unevenly possibly breaking a jar.

I wonder if that's not what's going on with the pyrex. That it's cooling too fast and unevenly.. especially when set on a stove that would have it sitting on a spot of metal (that leaches heat quickly)..

Maybe setting it on hotpads or a towel on the counter would prevent this??

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Sheesh, this thread made me so jittery this morning cooking my puffed pancakes. I felt like I was handling explosives; I had my children leave the kitchen, my arm was up and ready to protect my face...it's not worth it. I'm going to have to replace everything.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Every piece of my glass bakeware went out with the recycling this morning. I have a decent collection of stoneware, I'll use two at a time if need be. I found that Lehmans has stainless steel lasagna pans cheaper than Marmee Dear - I'm going to start a small collection.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Lisbet wrote:
I found that Lehmans has stainless steel lasagna pans cheaper than Marmee Dear - I'm going to start a small collection.

Do you mean these, Lisa? I could drive over there one afternoon (in combination with another errand ). Thinking, thinking.

ETA I hadn't found this one yet when I posted above...

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I can't believe how scary it must have been for you, Lisbet! I have lots of Pyrex and corning ware, but I don't use anything but stoneware in the oven.

If you are worried about the quick change in temperature from the oven to the stovetop/countertop, you might like to put your dishes on a cooling rack when they come out. The Pampered Chef cooling rack is what I use quite often, with the legs open or closed. I think when you do that, it makes sure that everything is cooling at the same time, as the air circulates. It is similar to the way stoneware cooks.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

JodieLyn wrote:
I had a thought..

I was canning jam yesterday and I've always learned to NOT set the hot jars directly on a counter because they'll cool to fast and unevenly possibly breaking a jar.

I wonder if that's not what's going on with the pyrex. That it's cooling too fast and unevenly.. especially when set on a stove that would have it sitting on a spot of metal (that leaches heat quickly)..

Maybe setting it on hotpads or a towel on the counter would prevent this??

This does sound feasible. But when my pie plate exploded it was in the oven cooking some chicken breasts. Not sure how to explain that one!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Can someone who has used both sell me on stoneware over stainless steel (or vice versa)? I have a birthday coming up and I can probably get my mom to replace some or all of my glassware.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jodie - my mom always said that about glassware, etc. too.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

SusanJ wrote:

This does sound feasible. But when my pie plate exploded it was in the oven cooking some chicken breasts. Not sure how to explain that one!

Susan

I do understand everyone who is trying to reason *how* this possibly happened. I swear I went through ever scenario with my husband after the first one exploded. He was SURE I MUST have done something to make it happen - not intentionally - but these things just do NOT explode of their own volition. He's a Chemical Engineer. :)

In our case I was lifting the 9x13 from the drawer in order to make a cake, so it hadn't been heated yet. In the case of my 9x9 pan we were washing up after dinner (it wasn't hot at all as it had been out for a while) and I set it gently in the sink to wash, as I would do with any of my plates or glasses. Boom! And they did BOOM! Glass flew everywhere both times and there were very few large pieces to pick up. It was mostly shards.

I know it sounds hard to believe, so I don't blame people for being skeptical. But I was very glad to read Lisbet's initial post to know I wasn't the only one!
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I've had this happen before when I turned on a burner at my parents' house. One set of burners had some stacked pans that needed to put away, including a Pyrex-type of pan. I turned on the WRONG burner, and not all that long later, BOOM! Thanks be to God--no one was in the room at the time. I felt so bad, as it ruined my parents' kitchen carpeting. (I know, most folks don't have carpet in their kitchen... my parents have though ever since they moved into that home.)

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

Lauri B wrote:

In our case I was lifting the 9x13 from the drawer in order to make a cake, so it hadn't been heated yet. In the case of my 9x9 pan we were washing up after dinner (it wasn't hot at all as it had been out for a while) and I set it gently in the sink to wash, as I would do with any of my plates or glasses. Boom! And they did BOOM! Glass flew everywhere both times and there were very few large pieces to pick up. It was mostly shards.

You were taking out of the drawer and it broke?!? That freaks me out. I think mine will go out in the trash tonight.

What is the best way to throw out something glass? Recycling?

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2008 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Maddie wrote:
I felt like I was handling explosives; I had my children leave the kitchen, my arm was up and ready to protect my face...it's not worth it.

Thank you for the laugh! The image of that is so funny! I am laughing so hard that my 10yo ds just came running in to ask what was wrong!

On a more serious note, what should we do with all of this bake ware we are getting rid of. Surely the poor don't need this added stress in their lives. On the other hand, I don't want to frighten defenseless landfill workers either. Can you imagine hundreds of pieces of baking ware all exploding in a landfill at once? The mess would be awful!

Blessings,
Betsie
Who is obviously a little punchy today!

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Well, when tonight's dinner recipe said to cook the chicken at 500 degrees, I went right for the metal pan! Thanks for the links to Lehman's, Patty. I need to get over there and do some serious looking! Thanks for posting your adventure in the first place, Lisa! You've performed a public service.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Mercy! I've not had one explode while cooking, but oh my....I've had a few plates/bowls broken when dropped--and shatter is the word! Those little sharp bits take FOREVER to get up!

Glad no one was permanently harmed!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

The Lehman's Lasagna pan is on sale right now...

Just in case its a new thing, thought I'd post it.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you, Rachel, for bumping this thread. I missed it the first go-round and find this fascinating discussion. I read the first page and still need to go more slowly over the other two pages but I wanted to add that I also had a Pyrex crack on me when I set it (accidently) on a low burner. Luckily it just cracked and didn't shatter.

I think Tim is correct about the reasons for this.

Am I correct in reading that Pampered Chef stoneware will also crack but it doesn't shatter? I have a bread pan and a cookie sheet and a casserole dish thus far. My dh always bakes cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

I'm definitely checking out these Dutch Baby recipes. We're Cajun so we've never heard of these. My children will get their funny bones tickled when I tell them we're going to bake one.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

LOL-Cay, I was just going back over all of the stuff I missed while I was in "move mode"...and internetless.

Let me tell you, those three weeks FLEW!!!! LOL. Course, that may have had something to do with unpacking a gazillion boxes, and trying to settle in here...much less getting organized...

Now, does anyone want to come help me unpack the two tons of books?

LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 23 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Cay, you are correct! Pampered Chef stoneware will crack and break into large pieces, but will not shatter. You have to be careful of extreme temperature changes to help prevent cracking; for example: from the freezer to the oven, or from the hot oven to a cool sink.

The other nice part about Pampered Chef stoneware is if it cracks or breaks during the guarantee, you will get a replacement!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Fuzzy wrote:
Cay, you are correct! Pampered Chef stoneware will crack and break into large pieces, but will not shatter. You have to be careful of extreme temperature changes to help prevent cracking; for example: from the freezer to the oven, or from the hot oven to a cool sink.

The other nice part about Pampered Chef stoneware is if it cracks or breaks during the guarantee, you will get a replacement!

I learned the hard way. I was younger and cracked a Pyrex dish (it did not shatter) by running it under cool water when it was hot. There are some things you learn in the kitchen as you go. That, and boiling something and forgetting it on the stove. It's an interesting learning experience.

And I didn't think the stone would do that, so I made the same mistake of running water on a hot stone. It cracked in large pieces, but it was easily replaced.

I was so opposed at first to using stoneware, and now I can't imagine cooking without it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version