Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: On, Wisconsin! (Another Fun Thread) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm from MN, but went to college at UW-Eau Claire. I was just back there last summer visiting a former college prof who had ALS. Many of my college friends are from Western WI.

Growing up, our family had a little fishing cabin that we spent MANY MANY weekends at.....in Brule, WI. In 1980, we moved to the cabin for 3 months (waiting for our house to get finished), and my brother and I went to a one-room schoolhouse near Brule!

I know Altoona well, Jenn!

I played with my high school marching band at a Packers half-time show at Lambeau field in 1986. So fun!

After college in Eau Claire I went to work in Wausau at Bombardier, the HQ for Ski-Doo snowmobiles, at the time. I LOVED Wausau!   Traveled a lot around northern WI, especially in the winter!!!! I also spent a lot of time in the surrounding Madison area.

Paula - I have a college friend that I still keep in touch with, who is from Glenwood City. Her dad used to be the school principle. I think he's retired now.

I SO MISS Friday Fish Fries!!!
And, squeaky cheese curds. Not to mention FRIED CHEESE CURDS...my absolute favorite.
Driving around the backroads to go somewhere and THERE in the middle of nowhere is a bar/restaurant! It's ALWAYS worth a stop!
And, the country dancing.
And, Leinenkugel Beer!

A dear friend and her dh, ds, left Seattle about 3 years ago and bought a sports bar in Reedsburg. It's the Touchdown Tavern in Reedsburg, WI....so if you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by! They serve food and she's a great cook. She has posted a couple times on the forum here.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I spent the year after college graduation with Net Ministries. (We were called the National Evangelization Teams way back then.) Anyway, I spent the year giving retreats to Catholic teens. I was on the "Home Team," so instead of traveling throughout the US, we were settled in St. Paul, MN and traveled mainly to neighboring states - including Wisconsin.

I spent many days and weekends giving retreats in parishes and Catholic schools in lots of small towns throughout WI that year. One bit of trivia that jumped into my head when reading the title of this topic was that I have been to the town that is in the geographic center of Wisconsin - Pittsville!

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Never been to WI, but we like the Packers. Dd's best friend is from Wisconsin, and we LOVE Bratwurst. It's my 2nd ds' birthday meal every year. This year his First Holy Communion will be on his birthday, and you guessed it, we are having bratwurst to celebrate.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Funny thread - While reading the Maryan thread a few days ago it did come to my mind that there were clearly some "Six Degress of Wisconsin" connections going on.

My dad (Polish) is from Stevens Point, Wisconsin. He is one of 11 children - only four of whom moved away from the SP/Milwakee/Chicago areas. My dad was one who moved away. So we spent a lot of summers there visiting the cousins. The one thing I remember most that used to get to me was my cousins always told us we talked funny - "had a western accent." It used to make me so mad, because quite frankly we sounded normal (like all the movie stars and newscasters, etc.) They are the ones who had the crazy accent!
Why dontcha come up nort' wit us und have some of dat there soda.
Oh, let me tell you that soda vs. pop argument was a big source of dissention between us.

The father of my best friend growing up (in Idaho) was also from Wisconsin (Manitowoc). Because of our dads she and I were major Green Bay Packers fans back in the days when they were really bad (between the glorious 60s and the Favre years). We would always spout the "Pack will be Back" slogan - and this is in Idaho - not a cheesehead state. So anyway, I'm a long time Packer fan as well and share these sentiments with Lara/Sara
Lara Sauer wrote:
...(Brett Favre, we will miss you!)

Maybe this is the place to reveal my secret crush on Brett Favre... ssshhhh.....

JennGM wrote:
Is this only a WI thing? We went to a Catholic wedding. There was a Mass, then a long lapse until the reception. Many people said that many wedding parties go to bars in between the wedding and reception.

I was always told there was a bar for every church in Wisconsin towns. Seemed to be pretty accurate.

My mom has a funny story. The first time my dad took her back to meet the family after they married, they were having dinner. My mother asked for a glass of milk. My grandmother said, "Oh, you don't have to drink milk, we've got beer."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Well, at least your a cheesehead and not a Buckeye... says the Wolverine.

My dh family is from Port Washington, infamous for their uh, "activities" during prohibition and big barn dances on their farm.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I love cheese curds!!! My friend from Appleton (home of Kimberly Clark, where my grandpa worked for a while) brings us cheese curds when he goes home for visits, and I've found two places here I can buy them. I've never had fried cheese curds, though.

My dh scored BIG points with my dad over cheese curds. We'd just toured the Land O'Lakes cheese factory where my dad had worked as a teen, and dh said, "So where can we go to buy some cheese curds?" Dad was astonished; I don't think he'd thought about cheese curds in decades, but we asked around, found a tiny local cheese factory and went there. Dad and dh were like two kids in a candy shop; it was really funny.

On that same trip we went to a totally cool event in Kiel - a classic car show and brat fry. Now THERE'S a real Wisconsin outing for you.

KariW
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote KariW

SuzanneG wrote:

A dear friend and her dh, ds, left Seattle about 3 years ago and bought a sports bar in Reedsburg. It's the Touchdown Tavern in Reedsburg, WI....so if you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by! They serve food and she's a great cook. She has posted a couple times on the forum here.

Hey, that's us!

About the gap between wedding and reception - the wedding party will often bar hop (or "go on tour" as they say here) during this time. All of a sudden around 3 on a Saturday afternoon our bar may have 10-20 people beautifully dressed drinking shots! The first few times I was working when this happened was very strange but it is fun and the group is usually a lot of fun. The brides love showing off their dress.

This thread is so great! If you are ever in WI and have a chance to eat Deep Fried Cheese Curds don't miss out! I admit to having a few every week at our tavern.

Touchdown Tavern

Go Brewers!

Back to Top View KariW's Profile Search for other posts by KariW

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

My sister lived in Waukesha for 14 years and I grew to love Wisconsin through her. Big time favorites were cheese curds and Kopp's Custard. I had never eaten custard before--but she had their flavor of the day on speed dial and we always made a trip (or 2 ) when we visited. Also, I found a great yarn store in Elm Grove.

Wisconsin--nice people, yummy food. But we never did adjust to calling a drinking fountain a "bubbler."

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

mavmama wrote:
But we never did adjust to calling a drinking fountain a "bubbler."

Now that I live on the east coast I can't STOP calling it a "bubbler" and neither can my kids! When people talk about "water fountains" I get all confused?!?!
Betsy

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Maddie wrote:
Well, at least your a cheesehead and not a Buckeye... says the Wolverine.

GO BLUE!! OK...who's gonna start a Michigan thread?

MaryM wrote:

JennGM wrote:
Is this only a WI thing? We went to a Catholic wedding. There was a Mass, then a long lapse until the reception. Many people said that many wedding parties go to bars in between the wedding and reception.

Every wedding I've ever attended in OH, MI and IL had a big break between....sometimes people went to a bar and sometimes a party was hosted somewhere. Maybe it's a midwest thing?

MaryM wrote:
My mom has a funny story. The first time my dad took her back to meet the family after they married, they were having dinner. My mother asked for a glass of milk. My grandmother said, "Oh, you don't have to drink milk, we've got beer."

Does anyone else pronounce "milk" as "melk"? I do and my dh does (we're both originally from MI) and now our dc do too!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

MarieC wrote:

Does anyone else pronounce "milk" as "melk"? I do and my dh does (we're both originally from MI) and now our dc do too!

Oh my goodness! My VA born children are forever telling me it's milk with an i not an e! Michiganders also say "ruff" for roof and "crik" for creek. It's taken me a bit to get reacclimated to the Midwestern way of talking. I was deprogrammed in VA from saying pop, VAers call it soda, but now that I'm back in MI I can't get used to it being called pop again.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

gwendyt wrote:

*My kids all give the Kalahari Waterpark in the Wisconsin Dells a thumbs up!

I am very interested in this thread since my dh wants to take an RV trip to Wisconsin this summer. He heard of the Wisconsin Dells and signed up for info--we've gotten a brochure from a different water park each day for at least a week now! It's the water park capital of America, or something like that. Sounds like a lot of fun!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I keep humming the tune to "On Wisconsin" every time I check my email today. Hmmmm....wonder why?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

DH ALWAYS is reminding me its milk not "melk", which is strange because he's from WI too! Actually, he's from PITTSVILLE

I haven't been to any of the other water parks in the Dells except Kalahari, so I can't recommend any of the others. The Dells is a tourist trap and BUSY in the summer, so it's a great place if you're okay with that!

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version