Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How did you meet your dh? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I was 22 and living with my parents (long story), he was 24 and moved to our VERY small (pop. 1100) town to work as a counselor in the hospital's rehab unit. The night my girlfriend went into treatment, I babysat her kids until her husband came home. We were talking and dh stopped to check on the husband (the whole situation was pretty intense).After that we kept running into each other when I visited my girlfriend in treatment.

On Thanksgiving, a bunch of us celebrated together and then went to play cards at the girlfriend's (in treatment) house. We sat across from each other and ended up talking until 3am. We dated for 2+ years and were married on his grandparents' 50th anniversay. They stood up with us and I wore her dress. Truly, it was all God's timing--we would have messed it up had it been left to us.

Oh, and I was a Methodist-turned-Lutheran-turned-Methodist while he called himself a "recovering Catholic." Little did we know that 5 years later I would want to join the church and we'd have to get married all over again so I could. It was really an unbelievable time; and it's already been 22 years....wow.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

My best friend asked me to come along to "hang out" with the guy who was driving her boyfriend to meet her.

It was June 22, 1986.
I was young...one month before my 16th birthday. He was 20.   We've been together over 21 years, and that must be the shortest version that I've ever told.   

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

This is how it happened for us.
I had visited Europe in the spring of 1985. I wanted to celebrate my birthday in Madrid (which I did). In the fall of that same year, an old college buddy of mine was transferred to London for work. I thought that I would go and visit, but I had just changed jobs.

Well, he sent me a post card from Kew Gardens (one of my absolutely most favorite places in the whole world. I love the rhododendrons!) So, I went to my boss and asked him if I could have three days leave without pay along with my Thanksgiving holiday. He asked why and I told him I wanted to go to England. He asked me to bring him an MG. I reminded him that he was the vice-president of the bank! But I did bring him a silk tie (red, I believe was the power color that year).

So off to London. I was up on the plane all evening discussing gardening with the lady sitting next to me who was from Brighton. I was so tired when I arrived, but glad to see my friend. We rode to St. John's Wood where he introduced me to all the roommates including my dh.

Needless to say, I was up all day. That night we went to dinner and then went to Charle Watts Night Club. There was a rumor that Mick Jagger would be there. He wasn't but by the time I got back to the flat, I was exausted.

When I left a week later, I gave my business card to dh. I thought he was pretty cute, but did not expect to hear from him. I received a letter less than a week later. Of course, since we lived in different towns, I did not think that anything would happen. But a good friend kept saying that he was definitely interested!

We dated long distance for a year. I found a job and moved to Houston. We married a little over a year later.
Our 20th anniversary is April 9th. Can you believe it!

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Just over 14 years ago, my dh answered the phone once when I was trying to reach someone else and we just started talking - it turned into a two-hour conversation!

After MANY long phone conversations over the next two months, we thought we should meet in other in person. We went to a movie and I honestly thought we were simply going as friends - I was in my last year of university and anticipated leaving the province. About halfway through the movie, I realized that dh thought we were on a date and we've been together ever since!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My husband and I were part of the same scholarship program at our university. For a huge state school, it was a very selective program; only five incoming students were recruited each year. It had also just begun--my husband was part of the inaugural five, and I came the second year. As President's Scholars (the name of our group), we had to attend monthly meetings, fundraising functions, donor lunches, etc. He was the most outgoing of the group, and though I was shy, I would occasionally chat with him--we were just acquaintances that first year, my freshman year of college. I was still dating a guy that I had been in a relationship with since junior high and was very much unavailable. But I did have my eye on him.

Over the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, my boyfriend and I broke up. I got to chatting with my now-husband at our first monthly meeting for the new school year, and when he found out I was newly single, he came up with an elaborate excuse to bring something by my dorm room that evening. He asked me out for a walk, and we circled the campus until past midnight, talking and talking. We spent just about every day after that together. We were talking of marriage within the first month (though I was only 18 at the time!), married two weeks after I graduated college, and will be celebrating our five-year anniversary this year.

And then the end of the story--our university got a new president the year after I graduated and discontinued the President's Scholars program; it was only around for four years, I think. Our families joke that they must have started the program just so that he and I could meet.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

My dh was my 12th grade English Teacher. He was sooo young, and sooo handsome...he made all the girls in my class just plain swoon .

Of course, we didn't date for several years after highschool. I was out of undergraduate school and working as a manager of a used bookstore where he came to sell books. He kept coming back, and kept coming back. On about the third visit, he asked me out. It took me a solid year to stop thinking of him as Mr. Castell!

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We went to high school together, we parti..um..ran with the same crowd. We started dating our senior year, very on again off again - remained on again when we discovered that a baby was on the way!    When I told my mother I was pregnant, she wrote me out a hefty check to pay for an...well, you know. We cashed it and bought wedding rings and a security deposit on our first apartment. PRAISE GOD!

Andrea, I LOVE your story, I remember you posted a pic once of when your dh proposed - it made me cry! Very sweet. I was pregnant with #5 when I was 25!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Jim and I met in a bar. He had been ordered by one of the senior officers to find a date for the Navy Ball, we laugh because he found more than that.

My kids love to tell people that Jim and I met at a bar called Billy Bones. It no longer exists, but while we are here in San Diego I am going to drive them by where it used to be.

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

A mutual friend wanted to introduce me to dh. I was doig a pre-lab for my education degree at the school where dh taught fifth grade(my old elementary school). I grew up in a small town that is quite a rumor mill, so I told my friend she had to wait until my pre-lab ended(it's a long story, but another teacher had just romanced her student teacher, and there was a lot of talk). Then my friend found out dh was older than she thought he was...18 years my senior. I decided it was all right because we'd probably end up as "just frinds." That's how all my dates ended. As soon as my pre-lab ended, dh called me, and the rumor mill started.    Six months later we were married.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I met my dh at a meeting of the local chapter of Catholics United for the Faith. At the time he was the president of the chapter.

UPDATED to add: a friend says I'm not being fair not to tell you the rest of the story, which is here

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

My dh was friends with my college roommate through a Protestant fellowship group. We started talking, and he found out that I was in the process of getting confirmed (I reverted in college). We talked about religion a lot, and he did lots of research on Catholicism so that he could argue with me. He argued himself right into the Church. He went through RCIA the next year, and we were married a few months after he was confirmed.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well dh and I were both members of Rural Youth (4H in America, Junior Farmers in the UK) but although we lived in neigbouring towns we belonged to different clubs and even zones so we had never met. We were both at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney with our respective clubs and were out for dinner. Some of the other members knew we were both from large families and said to us, "Here you sit together you have lots in common." We found out what they were talking about through the dinner. So you couldsay being part of a large family bought us together.

Well I was only 19 at the time and had other plans I was going to travel. Which I did and thought not much more about my future dh. Dh on the other hand who was 24 knew he had met the girl he was going to marry and went home plotting how to 'just run into me'.

Poor man how many dances and functions he turned up to hoping I would be present at I don't know. Until he finally twigged that as we were in different zones it wouldn't happen often.

Well I then started an Apologetics group and my mother suggested I ring and invite dh. I thought it a little bold but I did thinking he wouldn't be interested, imagine my surprise when he was

I couldn't tell you when we started dating as I thought we were 'just friends' sneaky man he was courting me without me being aware, was I naive and I guess still focused on travelling.

I 'think' we dated six months and were engaged for six. So when we married I was a couple of months shy of 21 and he a couple shy (our birthdays are two days apart) of 25.

Gee I didn't mean to be so chatty. Can you tell I'm blissfully happy.

I love all your stories. Keep sharing.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

My husband and I met in college (my second time around, his first). I know it seems scandalous, but he is 9 years younger than I am. No one ever guesses that when they meet us. When I was in college the first time, I had a class on gerontology. Our professor said, "Ladies, you simply must marry a man 10 years, 20 years if you can manage it, younger than yourself so you won't spend the last 20 years of your life alone." I never imagined it would happen to me!!

We were friends/acquaintances for 2 years and I was engaged to someone else for part of that time. Our first date was Fat Tuesday and he bought the ring Holy Thursday. Thankfully he didn't ask me until the Feast of St. Joseph the worker . . . I would have freaked out if he had asked me after only dating for 6 weeks! But I knew he was the one.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Space Camp! We were counselors there for the campers. He was finishing college after 7 years in the Army, and I was slowly putting myself through college. He asked me out first, but I turned him down. A friend of mine told me what an idiot I was, and I had been! So I decided to fix the situation.

We were at a party celebrating the end of counselor training one year, and he was standing against a column or the wall or something with his arm outstretched, sort of leaning against the wall. I took a deep breath, walked up and placed myself under his outstretched arm, looked up and smiled. That was it. We dated for 2 years while he finished school, and have been married for 15 years now.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well I FIRST met my dh when I was ten years old and living on a property in the remote Australian outback, naturally then he was just a 'nice man' as we were all part of a Catholic community that did not work out...my family went back to our State down south and dh went to his home city up north...years later when I was in my teens we moved to that city or should I say to the peninsula just out of that city and interestingly enough, mutual friends of my family and his, encouraged him to move there as well.   Some may know there is an age difference between us both...so we met again when I was in my later teens, as well as being very handsome he was a man of faith and a beautiful marian devotion, needless to say I feel very blessed.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

[QUOTE=Mary Chris] Jim and I met in a bar. He had been ordered by one of the senior officers to find a date for the Navy Ball, we laugh because he found more than that.QUOTE]

I have always told my girls no one EVER meets her future husband in a bar!

I met my husband during a local production of Twelth Night. I was Valentine and he was Sebation. Although, come to think of it, we did spend a lot of time in bars back then.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

This is such a fun thread! Such lovely stories :o)

My dh and I met when I was just 17 and he was almost 17, at college. He started mid-term and joined one of my classes and it was totally - well, I always say Love At First Sight. That's maybe not so. It was very clearly "I will marry him" at first sight - and I didn't want to get married foolish girl that I was, and actually he felt the same and was scared of it too. We became best friends, dated a bit, and broke up a bit.

He began to live as a Christian during a time we were apart, then up at univeristy in Scotland I began to live as a Christian - we went to a church event in the Christmas holiday and decided that we must get married, even though at that point we weren't even dating. We formally became engaged the next August and married the following July when we were 20.

The whole thing was spoiled by our stupdity and the nastiness of others in our lives, but ultimately true love is true love, and 13 years later we are still so happy together.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Great stories! Some really super-romantic ones, too. I'm all swimmy.

Brian and I went to high school together. We were in chorus and were paired up for our production of "South Pacific". We fell in love when he mis-counted a lift and I nearly knocked him flat. We were married four years later - one month after he graduated from college.

Funny, but not terribly romantic. We celebrate 17 years in July.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Dh and I met at a mutual friend's 21st birthday party. It was over the summer and we traveled back to her college together where her friends were gathering to celebrate it. I almost didn't go! I went home from that weekend and told my parents I met the man I was going to marry.

We had a long distance relationship (between 1.5 hour and 5 hour drive depending on where each of us was - home, college, grad school, etc) for 2 years before he proposed, and then another year before I moved back home for nine months to go to grad school/prepare for wedding/be only 30 minute drive from him!

Thank goodness for email, because we may not have made it without that. We've been married 14 years this May. We are very opposite in personality, but we joke that we make one perfect person.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I love these stories and thought I would share mine.

I met my husband the first day of med school - in gross anatomy lab. He was at the table next to me and just had the best smile. It was truly romantic - minus the formaldehyde smell and the dead bodies. We got married way too fast, but God has a way of working things out.

I recently told my children that marrying someone so fast is like jumping out of a plane without testing your parachute - not a good idea. Just because I did it, I don't want them too. As soon as I said it - I knew it was going to sound awful when repeated to my DH. The story got repeated many times to him and one child told him that Mom said marrying him was like jumping off a bridge.   He has a good sense of humor.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version