Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Sonlight Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

What about doing a combo of 3/4 and 2/5?

My favorite SL year is SL5. The books are so delightful and the exposure to a variety of cultures really entertained us. I felt like I saw the whole world that year. We skipped some of the missionary biographies because they weren't as well written. I'd think those would be less interesting to Catholics anyway. Core 2 has some books that go well with 5.

I've found that my kids have done well with world history when they are a little older. By focusing on various cultures around the world first (5), world history became more interesting when we did study it.

And we got to have parties! We had special meals and parties that went with the cultures we studied.

We used the single year version of 3/4. Even then, we had several that I remember the kids didn't love. It was a good year though.

We are reading American history now as a family and I'm just skipping around to what interests us using the SL book list as a resource rather than as a guide.

Hth,
Julie
Back to Top View juliecinci's Profile Search for other posts by juliecinci Visit juliecinci's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

happyheartsmom wrote:
Is anyone whose following my thread here using an additional Catholic text, ie Pioneers and Patriots, or another that I may not be aware of to supplement the Landmark History of the American People Selection? Just curious, I'm pretty sure I will be able to cover the Catholic portion with Saints stories and other church history. I continue to humbly appreciate all thoughts! Thanks    

I'm dabbling in American history with my daughter this year, reading selected books from Cores 3 and 4. We are not using any history text, just historical fiction (my dd does is resistant to history unless disguised ), but if I was - and we had more time to read it - the book I would choose is From Sea to Shining Sea. I haven't seen it myself, but I have seen the other book already published in this series, All Ye Lands. The series is very high quality, up to date, and Catholic. The reports I have heard rate From Sea to Shining Sea as excellent. Expensive, but worth the money. You can see a review and find a link to sample chapters here:
http://www.love2learn.net/history/htxtamgs.htm

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2005 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks Kathryn for your input. I'll look into these texts. I'm almost feeling like I'll be well covered including Saints and Church history on my own, but it might be nice to have an alternative backbone to follow with the Landmark History. HOw's your daughter enjoying the Core 3/4 so far, are you doing both in one year??

Also, do you use any of the Sonlight Bible studies??

TIA for more input. Oh also, do you use the History of US by Hakim, does anyone at this level?? I've heard it's very readable but somewhat objectionable.
*JMJ*

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

We really are just dabbling in American history, and not doing anything as comprehensive as Sonlight 3/4. I'm just picking out books that highlight particular aspects of American history and that I think would appeal to my dd, then adding random supplements. We are following the Mater Amabilis plan for everything else, but the history was just too much for my dd, so we switched into a scaled down, Sonlight-ish version of history part way through the year. So far we have read The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Sign of the Beaver and Toliver's Secret, and loved all three. I was going to read Johnny Tremain to her, but decided we wouldn't manage to squeeze it in before Easter, so we are reading Meet Felicity (American Girl book) instead. The next book I have lined up is By the Great Horn Spoon, then we will whizz through slavery, the Civil War, and a bit more pioneer history this year. After than I'm planning to spend the first part of next year doing South America and Canada, using the units from SL4; then we will spend 5 terms (we split our year into three 12 week terms) on our version of Sonlight 5, supplemented with some British Empire history. After that I'll switch back to world history and British history based on either Mater Amabilis Level 3, or Sonlight 6/7, or a combination of both.

We haven't used any of the Sonlight Bible books since K, when we read the Egermeier Bible stories.

Are there any Sonlight 4 books we shouldn't miss?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Kathryn, sounds like you're doing a wonderful dabbling job. Since I haven't officially started with Sonlight 3 or 4 yet I can't really speak to all of the books, we're actually just starting a month long African American, Slavery, Civil War study that I will be using some of the Sonlight titles from both cores, just checked out from my library. I've heard Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is excellent, and we'll read Homeward Bound Hannalee, among many other picture books from Elizabeth's list and some FIAR titles. Also my daughter will read the Addy American girl books to go along, I think I have a Childhood of Famous American's Harriet Tubman. Oh and we may try to do Across Five Aprils if time permits before baby #4 comes.

I'll keep you posted on how they come out.

Thanks so much for your overview, it really is nice to see how others lay out their schedules.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2005 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

happyheartsmom wrote:
I've heard Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is excellent, and we'll read Homeward Bound Hannalee, among many other picture books from Elizabeth's list and some FIAR titles. Also my daughter will read the Addy American girl books to go along, I think I have a Childhood of Famous American's Harriet Tubman. Oh and we may try to do Across Five Aprils if time permits before baby #4 comes.

I'll keep you posted on how they come out.

Oh, please do! The books I have planned for next term (April to July) are:

Historical Fiction
By the Great Horn Spoon
A civil war book - possibly Across Five Aprils?
Caddie Woodlawn (my dd just read Baby Island by the same author and loved it)
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

I think I may also add in Turn Homeward Hannalee, and I would like to read Cheaper by the Dozen, maybe over the summer (our summer break is July to September). We have already read All of a Kind Family and its sequel. Unfortunately Amazon UK has very few of the American Girl books. Picture books aren't an option for us as our library rarely has any of the books on American lists, and it just works out too expensive to buy more than an occasional one. Those I do buy are mostly Catholic ones.

Non-Fiction
Freedom Train: the Story of Harriet Tubman
Helen Keller
Meet Abraham Lincoln?
Biography of Martin Luther King (same series as Helen Keller)

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2005 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Lissa wrote:

I *do* use Sonlight--sort of. Their catalog is
one of my top 3 educational resources. I've ordered a
Core from them every 18 months or so since Kate
was 4. I've never ever used a Core as it's written--for
one thing, I always make lots of substitutions
(adding in saint
stories, etc) and additions. And Sonlight's schedules
never work for my family.

Soo...Lissa, my next question for you is where are you going next on your Historical journey with your a Sonlight Core, are you going to keep going with it? I am very impressed with all they have to offer and I will also be including my own substitutions. It would be nice to see the long range for the ages of my kids that are so similar to yours. TIA for your thoughts.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

happyheartsmom wrote:

where are you going next on your Historical journey with your a Sonlight Core, are you going to keep going with it?

Ha, that's a good question! I've been pondering this for the past month. My plan had been to spend the next two or three months finishing the Core 4 books with Kate, and then sometime this summer to begin a modified SL 1/6 combo with both Kate & Erin, very slowly, meandering and adding lots of other books. I love the reading lists for both Core 1 and the new Core 6, and the timing seemed right for us to swing back to the beginning of history and roll through the ages once more, this time with Erin on board. (To mix several metaphors.)

But now I'm rethinking. For one thing, Erin is on fire for Ancient Greece right now (thanks to her fierce affection for D'Aulaire's Greek Myths), and it would be silly not to let her dive in deeply when she's so eager to know more. So we've been reading chapters from Child's History of the World, at her request, and exploring websites and other materials. When we go to the library, she makes a beeline for the Ancient Greece section. She even begged to study Greek, so I had to hunt around for a book! This week I found myself beginning The Children's Homer as a read-aloud. Boom, all of a sudden I'm in the thick of an unplanned high-intensity unit study on the ancients. And of course, whatever one kid is doing, the others are listening in on. Now *Kate* is begging to study Greek too, and I'm wondering if this isn't getting to be a bit ridiculous--she's already studying Latin and sign language. But my whole philosophy of education is based on kindling fires for learning and providing plenty of fuel. I can't see myself saying, "No, you can't learn that." LOL! (However, I did tell her she's got to finish Prima Latina before I'll get the Greek workbook she wants.)

All of which is to say: it's not going to make sense to start SL 1 and 6 this summer, not when we'll just have read a bunch of the books. Also, I think I'm probably jumping the gun in wanting to read some of the SL 6 books with Kate (9 1/2)--it would probably be better to wait a year or two--and then Erin and Eileen will be more interested in them too. My eagerness gets me into trouble sometimes.

And then there's the Math request. Kate is something of a math nut. She's currently doing Math-U-See's Zeta program as well as slowly working her way through Jacob's Algebra--her idea, not mine, though she needs my help to do the work, of course. Then Scott's uncle, who is a college mathematics professor and textbook writer (and who clearly shares the genetic material responsible for Kate's passion for the subject--Scott's father is a math nut too; and for that matter so is Scott's mother, who was three credits shy of a PhD in math before she got married—but I digress) sent her a copy of his latest textbook, accompanied by a graphing calculator that has so many functions I could hardly find the ON button. Now Kate wants to work in THIS book, too, and I joked that we were just going to have to set aside a whole year to do nothing but math. She took me seriously; she gasped and clasped her hands and cried, "Oh, Mommy! COULD WE?"

I don't know about a whole year--not sure my brain is up to that!--but I've promised we can focus more intensely on math for a while. So. I'm thinking I'll just let these riptides carry me...we'll explore Ancient Greece all together, and I'm giving up the last few SL 4 books I was hoarding to read aloud; I'll just let Kate read them herself, to free up our one-on-one time for (help) mega-doses of this math triple cocktail she has assembled.

(And yes, I know it's nuts to be working in 3 math books at once; but they each focus on different things, and somehow it's working so far. It's hard to explain. But that's a topic for another forum...)

You know, the problem with this whole home education thing is that the kids get so darn interested in learning. I was all fired up to start SL 6! Ah well, the books will still be there next year...Although Kate's vision, which she presented to me yesterday, involves a year of "nothing but math," then a year of "nothing but science," and "nothing but history" the year after that. "Oh, except for doing Bravewriter Redwall every year," she added--by which she means doing dictation /copywork from and endless freewrites about the various Redwall books. Have I mentioned the kid has a one-track mind? Ha--it's a whole new model of education--year-long immersion studies. Sorry, kid, dunno if your flighty mom can make that kind of long-term commitment!

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Rofl about ancient Greece. We got stuck there for well over a year due to the fascination my kids developed for the mythology. I kept trying to nudge us forward on the timeline and then bam, they'd find a book/movie/website and be back in the thick of ancient mythology and Greece all over again. Every trip to the art museum meant going on a treasure hunt for as many mythological depictions as we could find! (The kids are much better at this than I am.)

When we finally crawled forward out of Greece and into ancient Rome, things picked up a bit. I remember posting on a homeschool forum: Rome finally fell! (meaning we had FINALLY gotten out of the ancient history era after TWO years there.)

The sad thing (for me only) is that I was eager to get to the Renaissance and my kids never really did get there. They jumped from Middle Ages to modern history (WWII) and current events. Go figure.

We are currently studying the Civil Rights movement and that led to looking back at Abolition which is developing into and interest in social justice on all fronts.

What I find fascinating about homeschoolig is the way the subjects inter-relate and the kids get so much more out of what they study than I did, even as a history major at UCLA!

Oh, and Lissa, I started studying New Testament Greek on my own last year and my 8 yr. old daughter took it upon herself to study with me. Problem: she couldn't yet read English.

But amazingly, it WASN'T a problem at all. She ended up "reading" Greek before she read English. (Not fluently, but decoding the words to "read" them... then English clicked right after that. The minds of children never fail to amaze me.)

Julie

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Julie, that's hilarious! And astonishing. I'm with you--kids are amazing. Seems like if you give them freedom to explore, they unearth treasure at every turn.

juliecinci wrote:
What I find fascinating about homeschoolig is the way the subjects inter-relate and the kids get so much more out of what they study than I did, even as a history major at UCLA!

Yes!! The blog entry I started last night is about that very thing, the interconnectedness. I didn't MAKE those connections until I was much older. I'm loving this opportunity to make them now, myself.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks Lissa and Julie for your great posts! I am inspired by the fact that no matter which direction we take, in history or whatever (Math for ex.), the kids will surely prevail as the winners and probably lead the learning. I am merely an instrument for them to have a little guidance.

Lissa, I love it that your daughter is so into math, I HATED math and am now rediscovering it with my kids and am loving it! Wonderful things about schooling at home.    I'll be excited to hear how long you'll be venturing through Greece and if you ever make it to Rome!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I apologize for snipping your post into pieces but I just had to put these all together!
Lissa wrote:

For one thing, Erin is on fire for Ancient Greece right now (thanks to her fierce affection for D'Aulaire's Greek Myths), and it would be silly not to let her dive in deeply when she's so eager to know more.

beeline for the Ancient Greece section. She even begged to study Greek, so I had to hunt around for a book!

Now *Kate* is begging to study Greek too, and I'm wondering if this isn't getting to be a bit ridiculous--she's already studying Latin and sign language. But my whole philosophy of education is based on kindling fires for learning and providing plenty of fuel. I can't see myself saying, "No, you can't learn that."

And then there's the Math request. Kate is something of a math nut. She's currently doing Math-U-See's Zeta program as well as slowly working her way through Jacob's Algebra--her idea, not mine, though she needs my help to do the work, of course.

wants to work in THIS book, too, and I joked that we were just going to have to set aside a whole year to do nothing but math. She took me seriously; she gasped and clasped her hands and cried, "Oh, Mommy! COULD WE?"

Ok, where can I buy some of this for my 11 yo ds? (see various posts on the forum with things like "mental hangups" and "narration difficulties" etc.
I would love to find just a smidgen of that zest for learning in him. I know it's there, somewhere, right?
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Lissa wrote:
Kate is something of a math nut. Now Kate wants to work in THIS book, too, and I joked that we were just going to have to set aside a whole year to do nothing but math. She took me seriously; she gasped and clasped her hands and cried, "Oh, Mommy! COULD WE?"

WOWSA Lissa! It's amazing how different the Lord makes people! I have a post on the Loving Numbers board about how I have no clue what to do with my daughter (almost 10) about math!   

My daughter just dances through life......and has absolutely *NO CLUE why she needs to learn Math! She's not going to USE it in her life ever!*   

Ugh!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Karen T. wrote:
Ok, where can I buy some of this for my 11 yo ds? (see various posts on the forum with things like "mental hangups" and "narration difficulties" etc.
I would love to find just a smidgen of that zest for learning in him. I know it's there, somewhere, right?

Is it possible he's a one-track kid like Kate, or even more so? What does he like to do in his free time? Maybe there's a way to tap into that, like with Kate and the Redwall dictations.

When my dh was 11, the only two subjects he was interested in were his drums (he had started lessons the year before) and The Lord of the Rings. His parents had sacrificed a lot to send him to a good Catholic school, and he gave them fits with his apathy as a student. The other night he had me literally crying in laughter over a story about a time in 6th grade when he just plain refused to take a geography test. He says he was sitting there at his desk, staring down at the test, and he just thought, "This is stupid. I'm not doing this." It's hard for me to fathom, hearing this story, obedient little student that I was. He got in massive trouble but even now he stands by his choice--"I didn't care anything about it and it just didn't seem worth my time." (Me: "But, but but...::::sputter:::::")

Not sure why I'm telling this story, except that your 11 yr old son made me think of this episode from the life of 11 yr old Scott. If a teacher had wanted him to write an essay comparing the techniques of Phil Collins and the drummer of Yes, Scott would have eagerly given him a novella.

When I was giving Kate beautiful passages from scripture and poetry for copywork, she was all dry obedience and no enthusiasm. When, inspired by Julie Bogart's website, I started using passages from the Redwall books, Kate lit up and now actually ASKS for more dictation or copywork, and is copying out much longer passages than anything I used to assign her, and is making all kinds of unprompted observations about literary techniques used in each passage. The thing is, it's not like I was giving her *boring* stuff before--I often pulled selections from books we had enjoyed together. But there's a difference between "books she enjoyed" and "books she has a passion for." Redwall is a passion. She spent her own money to buy the books, she made a special individual bookmark for each one, she made an arsenal of paper swords and daggers so she and her sisters could play Redwall games, she dressed up as a Redwall character for a costume party. All of this was happening for a year or more before I tried Redwall as copywork. The truth is, I think of Redwall as really fun reading but not stellar prose. I still think a lot of the writing is clunky, and I'd like to edit out 80% of the exclamation points. But Jacques IS a great storyteller, and his descriptions are vivid and rich, with crisp sensory detail. And because Kate is so connected to it, she is drawing a lot of useful knowledge from the close inspection of the text through copywork and dictation. Ask her who her favorite Redwall character is, and you'll get a lengthy analysis. VERY lengthy. Better make sure you have a comfortable chair. She's been working for days on a letter to a friend about which Redwall book is best and why. It's a sizable essay full of legitimate critical analysis--but she doesn't think of it that way because it's (cue trumpet fanfare) Redwall.

All of which is to say--maybe there's a way to tap into your son's deep interests, whatever they may be? Something that amuses me about my dh's geography-test story is that at this same point in his life, he was boring his family with oral dissertations about the history of the Zildjian cymbal company (the oldest continually operating company in America, originally from Turkey, founded in America in the late 1600s), and its relation to topics such as the history of bronze, the way in which different proportions of tin and aluminum combine to alter the strength and timbre of the cymbals, and the merits of hand-hammering versus machine-stamping as finishing techniques. If his geography teacher had played on his passion for drums, I bet he'd have been her most interested student. Almost every culture in the world has drums. I bet you could learn a lot about local resources and terrain by investigating the materials a culture's drums were made of and what they were used for.

Which is where we homeschooling moms have the advantage, right?

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Oh Lissa, keep singing my song!

First of all, may I thank you for confirming my feelings about the writing in the Redwall books? My kids LOVE these too and I'm, um, slogging my way through (I confess!) the most recent story (whose plot is—amazingly—almost identical to the last two books in the series that I've read).

I included Redwall in the Arrow because my kids love that series so much. My oldest son bought all the books with his own money too and at 17 still wants to "get in" on a chapter if he is passing through the room while I'm reading (or day dreaming while I read, I should say—Mom what do you think will happen next? Oh, um, hmmm? Uh, I think the bad guys will attack—crossing fingers that we just read a section about Badredd and not Saro). Yes, I'd love to edit these stories or at least think up a couple new plots! (Book snob moment now over)

It was my kids' enthusiasm for these great battles and especially the quote in the original Redwall book "He struck for...., He struck for...." that led to using it for copywork. I have always let my kids choose theirs and that passage was one of the first to go in Noah's copybook in fourth grade. He still has the same copybook today and it includes passages from Shakespeare, Chaucer and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, too. He doesn't do copywork for me any more. He does it for himself and keeps this book because he treasures the record of his favorite passages as a journal of his reading life.

Just last night he knocked on our door and came into our room at midnight after his shift at Barnes and Noble ended because of a pressing matter.

"Mom, let me read this to you."

(He proceeded to read a short passage to us that used the phrase "probably the most dangerous" in it.)

"Don't you think the writer should just commit to it being "the most dangerous" or not? Of what use is "probably"? It just dilutes the power of the statement. It makes me feel like the thing isn't really dangerous when it really is the most dangerous."

I laughed. We both agreed with Noah.

Then he said, "I knew it! See Mom. I have been listening to all that writing advice you give. "

He's been running his own education for years. I love watching him blossom.

Julie

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 12 2005 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

juliecinci wrote:

I absolutely think Redwall was the best thing that ever happened to Michael's writing. It was when he started reading those volumes that he started writing well. And then, when we made a superhuman effort for him to meet Brian Jacques at a signing...he was awestruck and ever-so-inspired. Jacques originally wrote his stories for radio and he has quite the radio voice. To hear him spin yarns in person and then make the connection that these books are STORIES written down: Priceless.

Christian and Patrick haven't gotten into Redwall the way Michael did. Christian isn't interested in it because it was Michael's passion. Patrick isn't interested because he has abolutely NO capacity for willful suspension of disbelief. (He comes by that honestly--hence my love of historical fiction).

Mary Beth is just coming into that wide reading stage where reading influences writing so much. She is not interested in Redwall either. But there is an author who writes incredibly lyrical prose and truly knows how to play with language and to turn a phrase just so...and Mary Beth has had the blessing of meeting her so the same magic has begun. So, for girls who don't like rodent stories and prefer sotries that could be true about other girls, I highly recommend the Melissa Wiley stories as examples of fine, inspiring writing

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2005 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Elizabeth, I'm blushing! Thanks!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2005 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

juliecinci wrote:
I included Redwall in the Arrow because my kids love that series so much. My oldest son bought all the books with his own money too and at 17 still wants to "get in" on a chapter if he is passing through the room while I'm reading (or day dreaming while I read, I should say—Mom what do you think will happen next? Oh, um, hmmm? Uh, I think the bad guys will attack—crossing fingers that we just read a section about Badredd and not Saro).

Julie, this really did make me LOL. "I think the bad guys will attack..." Bahaha!

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote materdei7

Dittos on what Elizabeth said about the books Lissa has written. My daughters (ages 16,13,10 & 7) are eating them up again and again. The stories are engaging and the rabbit trail potentials are endless!!! Thanks Lissa!!
Warmly,

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version