Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Hyperthyroid diagnosis - I'm panicking Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Jennifer, if you end up needing some synthroid for a while, the soy will interrupt the absorption of the meds.
What kind of symptoms are you having? Have you made an appt with another Dr? BTW, before I was diagnosed, I was still nursing. Looking back, the Endo couldn't see how I was able to Lactate, but GOd knew what he was doing and why. Keep nursing your little Katie, everyday helps her.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I went back to the doctor today. I have another appointment with an Endo at Vanderbilt in early May. My doctor seems to think I have Graves disease, but she did seem sort of bewildered as she commented that my thyroid had visibly diminished in size since last week. A hope? I don't know.

Emily, I'm not having any symptoms right now. No shakiness, irritability (ok, I did get frustrated today when the toddler had 3 accidents in a row,) or any of the other hyper-thy. symptoms. I'm trying not to be too fearful of them starting, as they may be the catalyst to move forward with some type of treatment much earlier. For now, I'm content to wait and watch until Katie is older. I have bloodwork to check levels again next week. I am praying so hard that there is some change - enough to offer some hope.

Barbara, thanks for the link to Dr. Brownstein's site - I'm going to look into that.

Thank you so much everyone for your prayers! You all have offered so much in the way of resources and information, and I feel less clouded by the unknown.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

snowbabies wrote:
I was close to a coma in the ER in 2004, with my TSH levels at 139

I can REALLY relate to your experience, I nearly went into a coma when first diagnosed, my TSH was 260, my T4 was 1, talk about flogging a dead horse!!!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have a friend who went hyper after birth and I put her onto my doctor but it did settle down without any help, she was told that her heavy consumption of spriulina at the time may have exaserbated it (high in kelp)

I have an aunty who was thyroid toxic and a severe Graves case, she chose not had her thyroid radiated, (much to the horror of some of the first doctors dealing with her) but she went to another doctor who had a more alternative approach to it but she did have to take a small dose of the drug (some sort of blocker drug?) and has been put on alternative treatments by her doctor (my doctor too) to bring down the autoimmune disease, she is still dealing with it but has had improvement but certainly she is out of the danger zone as she was an extreme case.

I would suggest a visit to Thyroid Info Mary Shomon is very experienced with thyroid issues and I had a phone consult with her 2 years ago, on the site they list doctors that thyroid patients have recommended and why...maybe that's worth checking out?

Soy BTW does interfer with thyroid's...just can't remember if they speed them up or slow them down...

I do think check out all alternative options BUT keep monitoring your levels without fail and take note of symptoms.

Also....with Hashimoto's (slow) when you first start out with it, they say it speeds up first then plunges down, that is why doctors can sometimes not be sure whether they are dealing with Hashi's or Graves. They are both autoimmune diseases and you would expect to have antibodies.

Have you got an antibody reading?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

snowbabiesmom wrote:
I was still nursing. Looking back, the Endo couldn't see how I was able to Lactate, but GOd knew what he was doing and why.

When I was close to going into a coma all those years ago (13) I had milk flowing like the promised land!! But I did hear that low thyroids can push up the prolactin hormone and that is what produces the milk....

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Oh Anne, it sounds like we went through the same things.. My T4 has stayed at 0. I do like Mary Shomon's info too online. Very helpful!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 13 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

I am going to see an endocrinologist for a second opinion. I pray this doctor will not just knee-jerk suggest that I wean.

Answered prayers! I updated my original prayer request. I wanted to come here and update as well.

Last Tuesday I went to Vanderbilt to see an Endocrinologist. He said there was about an 80% chance that my thyroid issues were just a postpartum flux. He thought it might take 8 to 12 months to resolve on its own. YAY!!!    That is exactly what every local doctor said it just couldn't be! Great sigh of relief.

There is still a chance I may have an autoimmune disease. I'm being tested for Hashimoto's and Graves. I don't have any of the characteristics of Graves, so the bet is on Hashimoto's if I have one. Apparently, Hashimoto's can start hyper and them move to hypo, which is the direction I have very slowly started heading towards.

No matter the outcome of the testing, the doctor said that I absolutely DID NOT have to wean Katie, that he worked with many nursing moms and that we could work out a treatment if need be that would be safe for Katie while she was nursing! He was adamant about NOT pursuing radiation. I was just so thankful! He didn't even balk when I asked what would happen if I got pregnant. Again, no problem, we would just adjust treatment to take the baby's safety into account. What a breath of fresh air!! Rob and I were so relieved!

Thank you all for your prayers! I mentioned in my prayer request thread that I'm offering my rosaries for all of your intentions because thank you doesn't seem like enough. This was a huge stress at a time when I thought all would be quiet and peaceful with my little one. All of the prayers carried me through and I'm so grateful! Thank you all!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jennifer, I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled with this news. I'll keep on praying!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

That news has made my day!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 13 2008 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

That is such fantastic news!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version