Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Getting rid of plastic cups/water bottles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I ended up ordering the ones from FlyLady. The double wall feature (no sweating), dishwasher safe, two openings so I could do ice were features I couldn't find elsewhere. These are 16 oz, but don't seem overly big, and little hands could hold them.

My only criticism is the silver section that holds the carrying strap is just a piece of plastic made to look metallic, not "pretty" in my eyes. But that's just aesthetics. These are going under the tree, and I'll have to order a few more if the feedback is positive all-around.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Just wanted to report that in the sixth months or more since I purged the house of our plastic cups and plates and all the tupperware type containers...that I haven't missed them one bit! I have one sipper cup for my 2yo son (the Thermos stainless one with rubber/plastic handle lid) and three or four giant plastic tubs for storing dry rice and oatmeal (haven't large enough glass containers yet) but all those little containers and things that formerly cluttered up my dishwasher, counter and drawers are gone. So nice!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
I ended up ordering the ones from FlyLady. The double wall feature (no sweating), dishwasher safe, two openings so I could do ice were features I couldn't find elsewhere. These are 16 oz, but don't seem overly big, and little hands could hold them.

Jenn~
After having these for a couple months, how do you like them?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Jenn~
After having these for a couple months, how do you like them?

They really keep the water cold, no sweating, user friendly, easy to fill with ice, easy to clean -- a dream come true. I love them, except they just don't hold enough for Mrs. Big Gulp. They work perfectly for my son, but I think I'd need at least 4 for an outing to quench my thirst.

At their price, it's not too much to get more, and FlyLady talks about stocking her fridge with many. It does fit into the cup holder, but I think it has room to spare. It's a little tall and skinny, and it could topple depending on your cupholder. I'd love a bigger one with all the same design, forget the cupholder. How about a GIANT size that I can keep refilling the little ones?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, I ended up throwing away our old water bottles that were probably slowly killing us.    I could not bring myself to buy metal water bottles, however, because of how heavy they are to carry and because of the price.

What I did instead is buy all new BPA free plastic water bottles at Costco. They are selling them in sets of three now. And I bought a new BPA free sippy cup for the 2yo. It's not perfect, but it's a lot healthier than what we were using and it fit our budget.

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Hi there. Don't have time to read through this whole thread. I'm sure you've received all the info and advice you need, but I just want to applaud your efforts. I did away with plastic over a year ago. I got Corelle plates and bowls for the kids, glass storage containers to replace the plastic, and we got the Klean Kanteens (because, like you, I didn't necessarily trust the Sigg bottle lining). One was lost within weeks of purchasing --- DH left it at the pediatrian's office ) --- and we never replaced. I was never able to get myself to spend the $ to replace it.

Besides, I got them mainly for on the go and after I got to thinking about it I realized that they were major projectiles in the car if we ever got in an accident or had to really slam on the breaks.

I've finally purchased some "BPA free" plastic bottles, figuring that they would be good enough! Will come back to this thread later and glean!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Klean Kanteen is 30% off at Amazon - Gold Box deal expires Nov. 30, 2009.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Bumping this up because I saw these glass beverage bottles this morning.

I am cheap and have used old Snapple bottles for years (a piece of foam from the craft store fits around them perfectly to form a nice cover) but this is a nice solution. I love drinking out of glass!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
Bumping this up because I saw these glass beverage bottles this morning.

I am cheap and have used old Snapple bottles for years (a piece of foam from the craft store fits around them perfectly to form a nice cover) but this is a nice solution. I love drinking out of glass!

These are so cool! I bet the water would taste so much better out of glass!

Now who will be the guinea pig and see if it will really withstand dropping by small boys?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've also seen quite a few stainless steel bottles (though with plastic lids) these days.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
Now who will be the guinea pig and see if it will really withstand dropping by small boys?

At $22/bottle I think I will stick with the Snapple bottles. But you are right it does taste better drinking out of glass --but then I am a bit of a water snob.

JodieLyn wrote:
I've also seen quite a few stainless steel bottles (though with plastic lids) these days.

We have a few and I don't love them. I like that with the glass I can see what's still in there because the water gets icky if left in too long. Also both of the Kleen Kanteen bottles we have are incredibly hard to get the lids off. Seriously, it's a major effort and we almost always have to get daddy to do it!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

JennGM wrote:

These look cool, but at that cost, breakage would probably keep me from buying them. We use mason jars, and we go about 8 weeks between breaking one. (My kids are 2, 7 & 9)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

For what it's worth (I swear I do not work for Snapple!) we have yet to have broken a Snapple bottle --they are pretty tough and the foam does help cushion them.

I don't use the regular Snapple bottles though I use the green tea ones which are a little larger and shaped differently. I happen to really like their green tea so I have plenty of those bottles.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2010 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just thought I'd share an idea re the cost of the stainless steel bottles. Don't know what they cost in the States/UK but they are $16 each for a 1 Litre bottle here. At Christmas, I approached my local store and asked if I could get a bulk order together would he give me a discount? He agreed to 21% off if I could get 20 orders together. I simply emailed all my homeschooling friends and placed an order for 31 bottles

I have to share the taste is much better

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

that's neat, Erin. we do have 3 stainless steel bottles we bought through Flylady. They were inexpensive, and I've been pleased. I think the taste of the water is not that spoiled, but sometimes I think I'd prefer glass.

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

MicheleQ wrote:

Can you explain the cover....my brain just can't picture it! Thanks!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MarieC wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

Can you explain the cover....my brain just can't picture it! Thanks!

Marie,

If you can wait a bit I'll post pictures as I have been meaning to post a little tutorial for for some time. I am just swamped right now but I will get to it soon I promise!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 26 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

MicheleQ wrote:
   Also both of the Kleen Kanteen bottles we have are incredibly hard to get the lids off. Seriously, it's a major effort and we almost always have to get daddy to do it!

We have Kleen Kanteens and have this same problem. We have stainless steel lids (which are easier to get off but can't go through the dishwasher) and the plastic. My teens put their fingers through the hole in the lid and then twist.

I love glass but know the kids would break them at soccer practice. I think I might take a snapple bottle for myself, though.   

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Over Lent I ordered some stainless steel, insulated water bottles from Thermos. They come in different designs, have a snap-tight sippy-straw type lid (you can order replaceable straw parts, which are plastic, separately), and keep drinks cold for 12 hours. I hope they are manufactured in the US (but not sure, and couldn't easily find the answer...maybe someone else knows how to determine this?) Thermos is an American company recently bought by Nissan. They were 14.99 each and have worked fabulously...no sweating, cold drinks,easy to lock and unlock,multiple designs, and wide enough for an ice cube. Here are the boys' styles that I ordered, but they have lovely butterflies and flowers designs for the girls, too! I also got myself a larger, stainless steel sippy top water bottle, too, but that was more expensive.

ETA: Oh, they don't have straps, if you're looking for those, but other options at the website do have them.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version