Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Getting rid of plastic cups/water bottles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2008 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
Marilyn,
We use filtered water - I wish it were well water.

Jennifer - what kind of filter do you use? We are using a PUR countertop - I know the ones that attach to faucets are better - but then I would use my kitchen sink spray faucet which is so useful.

Marilyn,
Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to this thread. I only have a filter on our fridge water right now, but I'm not satisfied with it. I'd like a reverse osmosis filter that has its own faucet above the sink. Costco has one for a good price. I was hoping to do some research on this filter and others over the summer. That's my next move.

I don't think you have to get rid of your ziplocs - I'm not.    I am going to try to be careful that anything that comes in contact with food (especially food that is going to be heated) is not plastic.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this up. Dh is actually considering making some changes to our cups in the house and drinking bottles. Traveling is the tricky thing. How to replenish the drinking water bottle on the road? Do you buy a big thermos and bring that full of water? Just wondering what do you do?

Now, I found a few other options I wondered if anyone has tried.

I've been adding to my bookmarks various articles and products. I'm not banning all plastic from our house, but we are looking at some alternatives.

Danielle Bean had a few sippy cup alternatives and lots of suggestions in the comments.

Anyone try ThinkSport? These are 24 oz.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Jenn,

Thanks for the heads up on ThinkSport. I really like those. I had a hard time finding a good 10 year old boyish looking Sigg bottle. I think these will fit the bill.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jenn thanks for the links - dh is going to pick up a Foogo for me on the way back home tonight.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jenn,
I noticed you had bookmarked The Safe Sippy. I've heard really good things about it. Unfortunately, it was out of stock til May. I hope to hear from a vendor that they have stock soon. This is what I intend to use for my younger set.

You asked what to do about traveling on the road. We drove 4 hours last week to pick up our beef. I bought the Klean Kanteen in the 27oz size for everyone, so most brought their own bottles. I also bought one in the 40 oz. size that I brought and used to refill bottles with lemonade. It worked out well.

I also wanted to mention that the neoprene covers have worked out really well. They keep the drinks quite cold and are more comfortable to hold than just the cold stainless. They offer a good bit of protection against dents. They are stinky at first, but airing them out has gotten rid of the strong smell. I think they would work well for SIGGs or Klean Kanteens.      

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I went with Sigg bottles. They have worked out fine.

I think that for traveling with a cooler, I don't mind using some gallon sized glass jars I have for non-water. We buy our water in the 3-gallon sized jugs. I know there is no telling, though, how long those jugs of water have sat in a hot warehouse. While I hope to get a RO filter down the road, for now I'm okay with the jugs since I can't *taste* the plastic like I can when drinking from one of the sippy cups. I figure whatever they finally conclude about BPAs, it can't be natural to actually taste plastic in your water. I think the dishwasher makes those things worse.

I still use our Tupperware cups with lids and straws for milk at breakfast and snacks. These can be rather transient meals for us (we don't really sit at the table but the boys usually stand at the window seat in the kitchen--its not an eat-in--while dh and I find "perches"). I just can't handle all the spills (my youngest is a dumper)--especially since I'm paying for raw, organic milk, yk? But, it doesn't sit in the cups for long stretches like water does, if that makes sense. They usually drink the milk in a single sitting.

I thought about getting the neoprene, but so far, we haven't had a problem with the water being too warm (we may think differently in a couple of months), and it seems a shame to buy the Siggs and then cover up their cuteness, lol!

I really though the covers would be neat if that had a little wrist handle or something for the boys to keep hold of. They get dropped a lot.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, and if anyone else is interested in the Siggs, there is a 30% off coupon at retailmenot.com for mysigg.com. I didn't know about it when I ordered

I got mine at reusablebags.com, and there is a coupon there for a free Acme shopping bag.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

MarilynW wrote:
Jenn thanks for the links - dh is going to pick up a Foogo for me on the way back home tonight.

I love love love the Foogo so far - I have tried everything possible and it has not leaked. Michael has drunk his whole cup of water from it this morning and thrown it several times.

Now my older kids want the straw Foogo...

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

What about this possibility?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
What about this possibility?

I like it! Glass bottles, terrific.

I bought two SIGG bottles when my son first started the sippy cups years before Plastic Was Evil . It wasn't that I was attached to having a sippy, but he had allergy needs to have a special dedicated container, and going out and traveling I needed a portable option.

I stopped using the SIGG pretty fast, only as storage. They don't leak, but he had difficulty figuring out the opening, and then the extra lid always popped in his face. You absolutely needed the Neoprene cover for cold drinks, as your hand got cold fast. There is no insulation, so the liquids pretty much adjust to room temperature.

That was my experience. Plus, the ice thing. I know I could use trays for special size to fit in the top, but I'm a minimalist. I have an icemaker -- I want it to work!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Jenn,

I noticed the shipping and handling for one case from that supplier will be over $24 on top of the $23 per case of bottles. I found this site which is local to Fairfax, they have them for $30 per case...but maybe shipping is less??

It also might be worth a call to Total Wine and More (they are in FX too). Maybe they sell empty bottles. We were just in there recently, I didn't notice any homebrew supplies, but they might have some. I should ask my dh, he sometimes brews his own. In fact he is getting ready I think to start a new batch soon and will be placing an order somewhere. I'll see what he thinks!

That is a great idea Alice shared on that post! Thanks for sharing the link Elizabeth.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KackyK wrote:
Jenn,

I noticed the shipping and handling for one case from that supplier will be over $24 on top of the $23 per case of bottles. I found this site which is local to Fairfax, they have them for $30 per case...but maybe shipping is less??

It also might be worth a call to Total Wine and More (they are in FX too). Maybe they sell empty bottles. We were just in there recently, I didn't notice any homebrew supplies, but they might have some. I should ask my dh, he sometimes brews his own. In fact he is getting ready I think to start a new batch soon and will be placing an order somewhere. I'll see what he thinks!

That is a great idea Alice shared on that post! Thanks for sharing the link Elizabeth.

Thanks for trying to find something local. I hate to pay shipping!

I was thinking I just need to down a few cases of Grolsch beer in the next month or so and save the bottles.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:

I was thinking I just need to down a few cases of Grolsch beer in the next month or so and save the bottles.

That's what our friends that do home brewing do. They said its actually cheaper to buy the bottle with the beer in it than it is to buy the empty bottle (even without shipping--there are local brewery stores here that carry them).

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:

That's what our friends that do home brewing do. They said its actually cheaper to buy the bottle with the beer in it than it is to buy the empty bottle (even without shipping--there are local brewery stores here that carry them).

Good to know!!!!!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Anyone else see that Klean Kanteen is shut down due to an overwhelming surge of orders? I spoke with them today, they told me they are trying to play catch up, they were featured on Oprah and Good Morning America. And what about Canada and plastic water bottes?   Any Canadians care to shed some light on what is happening up there? I heard they just passed a law, outlawing plastic drinking bottles????
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping up this old thread. I still haven't decided on what bottles to buy. I agonize over permanent decisions.

But I saw that FlyLady has a new stainless bottle. The price is good, and it has two openings so one can put ice...very important in my standards. It also doesn't sweat.

I wrote to ask what kind of plastic the lid is, and this was the reply:

FlyLady wrote:
The Stainless bottles do NOT contain any plastic with BPA. The plastic cap/spout is made from polypropylene, and it is BPA-free, according to our manufacturer.

The bottle and the lid can be washed in the dishwasher.

Anyone find other bottles with these kind of features?

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

JennGM wrote:

But I saw that FlyLady has a new stainless bottle. The price is good, and it has two openings so one can put ice...very important in my standards. It also doesn't sweat.

I wrote to ask what kind of plastic the lid is, and this was the reply:

FlyLady wrote:
The Stainless bottles do NOT contain any plastic with BPA. The plastic cap/spout is made from polypropylene, and it is BPA-free, according to our manufacturer.

The bottle and the lid can be washed in the dishwasher.

Anyone find other bottles with these kind of features?

I just saw this bottle today! Earlier in the year I bought Klean Kanteen bottles for the myself and kids but I just don't like it much. I never use. The kids use theirs all the time. This Fly Lady bottle looks great because I can also use a straw with it which - for some wacky reason - is a real biggie for me!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just found the best prices on Kleen Kanteen bottles with free shipping and great service - I ordered a few minutes ago and will have the items by Thursday. I just did the 12oz bottles as they are so affordable - including a sippy for the baby. They also hav some good emergency supplies.

Backcountry edge

I have colored rubber bands that I will use to differentiate between all of us.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just wanted to add this lovely tutorial by Alice - you could make these covers for any bottle...

Water Totes

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks Jennifer for that link.

I have a question, I'm so tempted by that sale Marilyn posted. What do you think the difference is between the color kanteens and the kanteen sippy? They seem to hold the same, but have a different shape. Anyone seen both shapes? I know I'd have to but a sippy top for the color kanteens. I was just curious (plus the color ones are even cheaper).

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version