Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Getting rid of plastic cups/water bottles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 26 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We use Corelle Betsie. Enamelware is a good non-breakable option as well.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Some day, I really am going to invest in enamelware from here.http://www.goldenrabbit.com/ I will cry if I try to count the number if Brasserie dishes I have lost on our hard tile floor.

I've not decided what to do about sippies. I've tried giving them up, but the 21 month old dumps--even sippies if he can manage it, and until I learn to manage him, I can't give them up.

I go back and forth between thinking that the water tastes funny so it must be icky to rationalizing that I am pouring my water and my milk out of plastic anyway (fluoride freaks me out more than plastic)--so, doesn't it make a difference if the actual cup is safer? So confusing.

The boys do drink out of small Ikea glasses and mugs a lot of the time, too.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2008 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Oh, not at all, Jen, I appreciate your helpful links concerning it. Imagine my horror when I saw that Aventi baby bottles are on the list of no-no bottles!!! I have used them faithfully with the twins for 2 years now. I even used to "zap" them for a few seconds to warm the formula I had to supplement the twins with. UGH! I even recommended them HIGHLY to several other moms since I really liked them; they didn't leak at all like other bottles and they were so easy to clean. So, that is very depressing since I can't turn back time. I should just get rid of the bottles altogether since they are 2 now, but they are super attached to bottles. (I don't have the aventi ones anymore. They switched to the regular ones, which I have to check the name of too.) So, I will either get the glass bottles or just start them using grown up cups.

I too remember drinking out of the jelly jars. That was a great idea someone mentioned. I am going to check to see if they still make those decorated glass cups the next time I go to the store.

So glad to hear that I don't have to talk spouse into ripping up all our pipes.      

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Kim, we switched from avent bottles with our daughter because we just got horrified with the idea of the harm the plastic could do to her. We went with glass and are very happy. We got the 4oz/125ml size, because she was older and because we thought they be more durable. They are very good and easy to clean - and even having been thrown on the floor a few times (once down the stairs!) they haven't broken - actually the plastic ring broke but the bottle didn't! She also transitioned very well.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 26 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Some day, I really am going to invest in enamelware from here.http://www.goldenrabbit.com/

Lindsay,
Thanks for linking that site! What beautiful enamelware they have!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

ElisabethGrace
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2008 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote ElisabethGrace

CrunchyMom, I LOVE the site you linked! I now have some ideas to give DH for my birthday! Thanks so much.

We have used both SIGG and Kleen Kanteen. I much prefer our KKs. While the SIGGs were beautiful, they got dents so very easily. This was so disappointing especially considering the cost. Several of ours got holes in them and have been replaced with the KK.

Everyone in our family of seven has one. I just used my label maker to label each bottle, even though not all are the same size. I am able to wash them in the sink every week. We only use ours for water, except for the baby. She has the bottle with the safe plastic spout for milk & I was that daily. I also like that the KK openings are larger. I've found them easier to clean than the SIGGs.
Back to Top View ElisabethGrace's Profile Search for other posts by ElisabethGrace

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

An article on plastics and whether they are dangerous or not

An Article from Johns Hopkins

Another article about heating plastics and cooking

Also from Johns Hopkins

I also read over this website,Quackwatch it helped me with perspective as I had read so many scary articles on the web...    How do you know what is true?

Please take this with a grain of salt, I don't mind if anyone decides to not use plastics. But I do get really sad when a mother is scared because she gave her children the wrong thing and she lives in fear for a while over it. That used to be me.

Aluminum cookware is another area that there has been a lot of urban legends.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

For me the number one reason for getting rid of plastics is not health-related. Well, at least not human-health related. It's more about the health of our planet.
I am trying very hard to eliminate plastics from all aspects of our lives (as much as reasonably possible) because they are petroleum products. I am not inclined to support that industry any more than I must. Plastics are environmentally unsound for many reasons, not the least of which is that they are non-biodegradable. Plastics, once created, are here forever. That's not something I want to be responsible for.I'd much rather purchase and use natural, sustainable, or at least bio-degradable products if at all possible. And though I am not naive (or idealistic) enough to think I can do this 100%, I plan on doing what I can, when I can. Getting rid of plastic tableware is just one small thing I can do. But every little bit helps, right?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Theresa, I heard that where possible we should not get rid of plastic items we already have but rather try to find alternative uses for them and keep them out of landfill etc - so, take a plastic drinking cup, dril a hole in the bottom and use it for a plant pot or use it as a bath/sand pit toy. I don't know if it is true, especially as we pass our plastic onto the charity shop to be resold, but I suppose once it is out of my home it is more likely to end up in the landfill. Sigh.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That is a great point, Lucy. I do try to re-use and recycle as much as possible, and passing things to charity is one form of that. I guess I just assume it will be bought and used by someone, and I suppose that is not really a safe assumption. Great food for thought.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I'm bumping this up for a friend.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 16 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have had no computer time lately, but I wanted to come back and update, so thanks for bumping Mary Chris. I'm so sorry I didn't come back sooner to thank you all for your input - it was really helpful!    

My husband sent me this article today - it's food for thought anyway.

I ended up ordering the stainless steel Klean Kanteens for the family. We like them. The 3yo has dropped his several times on the tile floor and no dents yet so I'm pleased. They do get quite cold in your hand, so I ordered the neoprene covers today.

It has streamlined the fridge nicely. Now everyone has one bottle only, and with the different color neoprene covers they will be able to tell them apart easily too.    

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I think a friend and I were talking about that article today. I bought the children Sigg water bottles last night. We used them today and they worked out quite nicely.

I too am looking forward to streamlining our water bottle collection.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Ok - I am now feeling guilty about all my bottled water in plastic bottles.

What water are you putting in your bottles - well/filtered/tap?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary Chris wrote:
I think a friend and I were talking about that article today. I bought the children Sigg water bottles last night. We used them today and they worked out quite nicely.

I too am looking forward to streamlining our water bottle collection.

I didn't really like my experience. I bought some SIGG a long time ago and stopped using them because of the narrow opening. I couldn't put ice in the bottle, which frustrated me. If you don't use the neoprene (sp) cover the drink gets warm really fast.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Well it was this thread that moved me to replacing our plastic McDonald's collector's plates with Corelle. And I also bought 4 Kleen Kanteens. It doesn't quite cover all of us, just the athletes this season. My budget wouldn't let me get them all at once.

The kids really like the kanteens. They do get cold...but no one has minded considering how yucky hot the plastic bottles make the water, and make it taste funny.

Oh I do have to say...when we first brought home the Corelle plates (got them at Walmart) one was already chipped, very small. I'm too lazy to take it back! But...oh well! Still glad they aren't plastic and they weren't made in China and they were cheap at about $3 per plate at Walmart!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn,
We use filtered water - I wish it were well water.

Jenn,
The Klean Kanteens have a wide mouth (one of the reasons I decided on them) - they're easy to clean and can accomodate an ice cube with the chunky fingers of a 7yo wrapped around it!

Kacky,
I know what you mean about the taste! Everyone has commented how different and clear (read: not plasticky tasting) the water tastes now. I don't think I expected that.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
Marilyn,
We use filtered water - I wish it were well water.

Jennifer - what kind of filter do you use? We are using a PUR countertop - I know the ones that attach to faucets are better - but then I would use my kitchen sink spray faucet which is so useful.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2008 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Does this mean Ziploc bags are bad? I do not think I can do without my Ziploc bags.

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Angi

We have 4 KKs for our family of 6. The twins will get theirs for their birthday in June. We do not worry about keeping track of whose is whose. That would make me crazy!    The 2 that I received most recently was a trade, I provided 2 bags of girls clothes to a friend who sells KK, and she provided the KKs.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version