Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: big kitchen tables and benches or chairs? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2008 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I have a friend who used those vinyl flannel backed tablecloths on her table. She has a seamstress put elastic around the whole thing and it solves the problem of kiddoes pulling the tablecloth off.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Matilda wrote:
Mary,
I am trying to picture your table and benches and it just isn't working. Could you post a picture?

Matilda -- I think I did take pix during the project and when done ... I'll check and maybe do a blog post that's linked here....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 05 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

We have a table with a wood grain- looking formica top. It looks just like stained oak, but it is virtually indestructible. We picked it up at a rummage sale when we were first married, and it still looks the same, 4 kids later. (As long as you don't look underneath it, were someone decorated it with permanent markers!)

Unfortunately we will be outgrowing it in the next year of two, unless we figure out a way to put a bench down the back. It barely fits in our kitchen as it is.
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

I would recommend popsfurniture.com for unfinished, solid wood, high quality furniture. We bought a 6ft. solid wood unfinshed trestle table and two benches from them three years ago. The set is beautiful, durable and since we bought it unfinished the price was better, plus we can put anouther coat of polyurethane on it when it needs it.
They have several large tables on their website. We got the table, two benches, plus two unfinished windsor chairs shipped from California to NY, assembled and put in place for a delivery charge of $199. I don't remember the cost of the furniture, but I recall it being comparatively inexpensive. (including the del. charge) I checked the website and don't see prices, but maybe I called for a quote... I don't remember.
Have fun shopping!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

I found an old long (10 ft) farm table about six months ago. The wood is already kind of "dinged" up. But I guess that is the style now. We decided against benches because of the comfort issue. If we have people over we want them to relax and sit back. We thought it might be hard to do that with bench seating. Although you can fit a lot of little people on those benches. We are also looking for old chairs vs. new ones. The new ones seem to fall apart. (at least in our house ) We have some older chairs that we have had for a long time and they seem to hold up better.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Books,
I have been wanting to post the same question about a family dining table, too.   

I have a sil and a dear friend who both bought a Cochrane Thresher table (one has the oval and one the rectangular). They both chose the laminate top and the table is still in perfect condition. The laminate top looks very nice and matches the solid oak sides and base perfectly. It is IMMUNE to abuse.    My sil has had hers for 15 years and my friend for at least 10. They both bought their tables through one of the North Carolina outlet stores and it was delivered to them within a month or so...

The table is expensive ($1200) but the chairs are what really get you. BUT, none of the chairs have ever broken--they are very, very sturdy.

I have been going back and forth for years about getting a table like this myself but could never bring myself to part with the money. But, the situation is dire now. We have a table that can only seat six comfortably and we are a family of eight. This has really wreaked havoc with family dinner time. When you can't all fit at the table comfortably, it doesn't make for quality family dinner and conversation.

We need to make a decision soon on a new table. I believe the Cochrane seats 12 comfortably and pulls out to 102 inches (smaller than your 105 IKEA but no legs to get in the way)...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

If you are ready to pay big money and order a table, this is a company owned by a large Catholic family. I can vouch for their tables!

Amish Tables

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Wow, Bridget...what a site--and the fact that you can order as many leaves as you want...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

What a better way to support Catholic families!

Love those tables...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Well, I am inspired to know that there are more options out there than I originally thought. Maybe I'll reconsider on the formica if its possible to get one that looks nice.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version