Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Weight Watchers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mary G. wrote:
She recommended another book, Estrogen the Natural Way by Nina Shandler where the recipes are pretty darn good (she recommends lots of soy and flaxseed) -- many of these are just great recipes that are helathier eating even if they do have tofu in them. As a matter of fact, I made low-fat, tofu rich, potato pancakes that my kids loved -- I didn't tell them about the tofu until after. I also made a chocolate cream pie with tofu & cocoa making up the pudding part and they loved that too! [Of course, now if I make anything new, they're sure there's tofu in it!].

Mary,

I'm not familiar with the above mentioned book (though I did find Waterhouse's book to be good!) but I want to give a caution about eating lots of soy. There's pretty strong evidence that that may not be such a good idea. Here's an
article
I just recently read on the subject. If you google soy and problems you'll get a lot of hits. Soy has also been linked to thyroid dysfunction (I have experienced this!) The Soy Service Online has a ton of information. It seems soy is like anything else in that too much of a good thing is still too much.

I'm sorry to be a wet blanket. It sounds like you are doing great health wise!

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 02 2005 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Jennifer,
I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. Since I read through the messages, I felt motivated for the first time in months to get out my Weight Watchers materials and honestly begin following the program and counting points again. I had let some pounds begin to creep back on me and hadn't found the motivation to do something about it before you brought up the subject here. Well, dh had decided to join me (this is a first) and we have both completed over a full week now. I have lost 3 of the pounds I had gained and feel good about having my eating under control again. Thanks so much for this conversation!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2005 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Irene,

Wow, congrats to you and your dh!

I went to my first meeting on 9/20. I lost 3 lbs. my first week and it was much easier than I thought it would be. Of course, having a 12 month old who is NOT eating any solids and only nursing does help--I get 10 extra points right now to add to my daily total. I am going to try to wean myself off them (ha ha, pun intended! ) as she starts to show more interest in food.

I love counting the points and being able to save for a special treat--and also knowing that NO food is off limits. I am making much healthier choices, of course, but knowing that I *could* have a Big Mac if I wanted one (even though it is 14 points!! ), helps to keep me sane!    

My family is eating healthier also, and that makes me feel even better!

Thanks to everyone here for encouraging me to take this step. Now, I just need to boost my exercise...I have never been very good at that!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2005 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Congratulations, ladies!

I'm really proud of you all! How inspirational!

Keep plugging away....I'm trying to lose it, too!

God Bless,

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

A flyer from WW came in the mail before this thread started, that got me thinking about joining. This thread has me thinking.
I am still thinking. I want to make sure I am serious this time before spending any money.
Although I have not yet joined, I have started implementing some better habits this past weekend.
You are all an inspiration!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote mary

Thanks for the nudge - I got out my points book this weekend and am going to go back to keeping track. I turned 40 this year and my goal is to get fit and lose 40 lbs. it's a 40 theme.

congratulations to those of you who are doing so well in losing and exercising!
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I lost another 3 pounds, for a grand total of 36 pounds since April! WOO HOO!

Jennifer, my friend lost SO much weight this past summer. She's nursing, and it really helped~ She lost way more than the normal you'd lose without nursing. In fact, I was concerned she was sick, because she went from being heavy, to being skinny in the 4 months that I hadn't seen her since the end of the schoolyear!

GREAT job, Ladies!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2005 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hey Ladies,

Yesterday, we made chocolate chip cookies for soccer snack today since we were low on funds and had these ingredients in the cupboard...

This morning, when all was quiet and everyone still asleep, I was tempted to have one with my morning coffee. I had a bite...

In my desire to not eat more I felt inspired. Why not offer our mortifications to end abortion...

Anyone in?

God Bless,

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2005 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I was just wondering if any of you had tried Light Weigh? I went to it 2 yrs ago and really liked the program but I have to admit I did not lose much. Entirely my own fault; I can see why and how it works but I have not been able to let go of my own desire to overeat, if that makes any sense. Anyway, that is one of the points in Light Weigh, to offer up each time you give up something you wanted, for the souls in purgatory, or something else. The basic kit comes with sacrifice beads like St. Therese used.
I did WW about 6 yrs ago and was finally losing some of the "baby" fat from my then-5 yo, and then I got pregnant with ds#2, followed quickly by dd. never got around to going back. I haven't looked into the online program but I never liked going to the meetings.

For the person who wanted to remain private about her weight - the weigh-ins are completely private, with just the one person weighing you and they're very discreet. The meetings were more about tips for staying on track, a few recipes, just general motivation, etc.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Maria,
What a beautiful idea! I had a horrible day yesterday, as I was out all day, but still didn't make the very best decisions. I paid the price by not feeling very well all evening.

GREAT idea! I'm going to do that!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Maria,
Just catching up and wanted to thank you for a wonderful idea...I am into my third week of WW and doing well but as it gets to be more and more a lifestyle, you realize that you are making REAL changes and change is HARD--esp. when the kids beg for some homemade goodies and NOT licking the bowl is torture! Another little sacrifice--I know God honors these little gifts to Him for his Work...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2005 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi all,

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask a question and share a bit, too.

I met my 10% goal and have lost 17 pounds so far on WW!

I feel better, have more energy and am wearing jeans (that are loose, now!) that I haven't been able to wear in over 3 years!

Thanks, again to you all for encouragement in making this lifeystyle change. My friend and I go to meetings together and she has lost 14 pounds so far...We keep each other pepped up and encouraged, as well.

My question...to those of you who do WW or have done it in the past...what do you snack on? I like to snack and do get hungry a lot as I have a nursing 14 month old who STILL doesn't like to eat solids much. This has its advantages as I get those extra ten points a day! Right now I snack on things like:

cottage cheese/fresh fruit
half a peanut butter sandwich (whole wheat bread)
a WW protein/snack bar
fresh fruit/vegs
hardboiled egg/salt
pretzels

That's about it...I'm running out of ideas...Any one like to share? Tracy, Irene? Please?? Thanks!!

Let the Little Ones Come

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 10 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Jennifer,
Congratulations on your success with WW! You should be very proud of yourself.

God must have inspired you to resurrect this thread today. I have been very discouraged lately due to falling off the wagon completely, ignoring the points, and eating Halloween candy daily. The weight that had snuck back on is not going anywhere with the way I have been eating.

As for snacks, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that as I read your message, I was sitting here snacking on lowfat ice cream . . . and feeling proud of myself that it was better than the candy, at least! (If you can keep your serving size to 1/2 cup, the lowfat ice cream is only 2 points, so it really is a good option for a treat.)

Other good snacks (other than the obvious fresh fruit):

94% fat free microwave popcorn -- 2 pts per half bag, I think -- I eat this as a snack almost every day when trying to lose weight

A pre-packaged Rice Krispie Treat - 2 pts.

Special K cereal bar

Dried apricots - 6 dried halves per point

Rice cakes

Pretzels

Yogurt

Homemade smoothies (sometimes I just put a little bit of fruit juice and lots of ice into my Smoothie machine and make a Slurpee-type thing that has hardly any points)

One of the best ways to eat cake is to eat Angel Food cake with fat free cool whip as the frosting and sliced fresh fruit on top of that

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

teachingmom wrote:
Hi Jennifer,
Congratulations on your success with WW! You should be very proud of yourself.

Congratulations!

teachingmom wrote:
One of the best ways to eat cake is to eat Angel Food cake with fat free cool whip as the frosting and sliced fresh fruit on top of that...

And around a table with all of you!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Jennifer!

GREAT JOB!!!!!           

Today is my weigh day, and I've lost another pound for a grand total of 40 POUNDS NOW!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

It's going much slower now, because haven't been as obedient to God, and haven't been as faithful to the diet, BUT, in doing so, I HAVE learned that I CAN live this lifestyle, and how to maintain! THAT'S a HUGE step forward for me!!!!!

Before, I would have gained weight back, and I didn't gain one pound back, but maintained many weeks. Now, I'm beginning to lose again, slowly, but surely, as I'm trying to be more obedient, and faithful to God, and count points properly, drink my water, eat my veggies, and fruits, etc.

I have a 13 PAGE WORD document with LOW POINT SNACKS that I copied and pasted from the Weight Watchers online message board. I can't copy and past it here, because it's so long, but if any of you want it, just email me privately at quebral@adelphia.net, and I'd be happy to attach it and send it to you by email.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm SO excited this thread came back to life, because I think it's a breath from the Holy Spirit to help me on this difficult journey. FORTY POUNDS GONE! WOWSA!    40 down, 80 to go! Sounds like that could make me want to GIVE up, reading 80 to go, but with 120 pounds all together to lose, I'm a THIRD of the way done!!!

How exciting to take this journey with you girls! May the Lord bless all of us in our obedience to Him! It does feel SO much better to be eating and living more healthy!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Irene,
Thanks for the snack tips!! I had forgotten about popcorn...I am going to buy some tonight at the store...Will popcorn get me through the holidays??? I've got a challenging road ahead in the next few months!! I am grateful to God that I have done so well so far...and only 10-15 lbs to go (I can't decide on what I want my goal weight to be!).

Let the Little Ones Come

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Tracy,
I just emailed you....thanks from the bottom of my snack-starved heart for your offer of the snack list...You are doing so great--congratulations!!!!!! 40 pounds---way to go!!!!!! Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way from Texas!

Let the Little Ones Come

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi all,

Ya'll might be getting tired of me resurrecting this thread again but I wanted to share and ask for some advice...I have lost almost 29 lbs and am 3.5 lbs away from my goal weight--I am actually within my normal weight range!    

And...ta da...I'm pregnant! I just took the test on Thursday and we're very happy but I am wondering what WW does when you are so close to goal but end up having to stop due to pregnancy...I mean...will I have to re-enroll postpartum and pay the registration fees again? Do any of you know? My next weigh-in is Wed. am. but I am wondering if I should even go, unless, there is something that can be done to maintain my membership and put it on hold...until I can start again postpartum..

I do know that I am not so afraid of gaining weight this pregnancy, since I have learned some really good eating habits that will really help me stay focused and healthy throughout...oh- and what a great gift God gave us for my 40th birthday, huh?

Let the Little Ones Come

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 02 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

jdostalik wrote:
Hi all,

Ya'll might be getting tired of me resurrecting this thread again but I wanted to share and ask for some advice...I have lost almost 29 lbs and am 3.5 lbs away from my goal weight--I am actually within my normal weight range!    

And...ta da...I'm pregnant! I just took the test on Thursday and we're very happy but I am wondering what WW does when you are so close to goal but end up having to stop due to pregnancy...I mean...will I have to re-enroll postpartum and pay the registration fees again? Do any of you know? My next weigh-in is Wed. am. but I am wondering if I should even go, unless, there is something that can be done to maintain my membership and put it on hold...until I can start again postpartum..

I do know that I am not so afraid of gaining weight this pregnancy, since I have learned some really good eating habits that will really help me stay focused and healthy throughout...oh- and what a great gift God gave us for my 40th birthday, huh?

You are not allowed to slip this in a weightloss thread ! It needs it's very own fanfare and congratulations thread! consider it done!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Jennifer,
   CONGRATULATIONS! I did congratulate you in the Congratulations thread Elizabeth started! I'm glad it wasn't hidden in this thread!

I'm not sure what you do when pregnant. I know my friend lost SO much weight last summer while nursing and on WW. She was allowed 10 more points per day for nursing! So you should check with them as to what you need to do.

You really worked hard to lose the weight. You don't have to gain lots of unnecessary weight, just the necessary pregnancy, healthy weight that's necessary. Then you can lose it again MUCH more easily once the baby is born. AND if you do nurse, and do WW, you'll lose it SO much more easily, because you'll be eating REALLY healthy, and you'll get the extra points!

Oh, I'm just SO happy for you, Jennifer!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version