Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Saint for your Homeschool? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if you have a saint for your homeschool? If so, why did you pick that certain saint? I am asking as I am thinking of doing this, and would love to hear how others decided.

Thanks a bunch,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We chose St. Athanasius as dh was applying for acceptance to an Institute in Austria and he had to write a paper on the good saint's defense against the Arian heresy. We knew we'd homeschool when we went over to Austria and so, named our school after St. Athanasius. We figured a man who could defend the faith so repeatedly and vehemently against heresy had to be a great patron for us too!

We also pray to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and always invoke the aid of the Blessed Mother.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

I spend so much time looking for things that St. Anthony was the natural choice for us. We couldn't homeschool with out him!
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Shari in NY wrote:
I spend so much time looking for things that St. Anthony was the natural choice for us. We couldn't homeschool with out him!

Why didn't I think of that?

We chose St. John Bosco

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Shari in NY wrote:

That is hilarious!!!!

St Francis of Assisi is our homeschool patron. Ds chose him and I think he is the perfect choice for us!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

St. John Bosco has always been our patron. He's just called to our family. We also pray to Our Lady Queen of Peace.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Heliodora
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Heliodora

We named our homeschool after Our Lady Seat of Wisdom- or Sede Sapientiae. I wanted our learning pursuits to be more focused on attaining wisdom, rather than the accumulation of facts.

Prove all things, hold fast that which is good. -1 Thessalonians 5:21
Heliotropium
Back to Top View Heliodora's Profile Search for other posts by Heliodora Visit Heliodora's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:

That was my first thought too

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We are also "Sedes Sapientia Academy". I used to have a nice write-up about this on my blog but the pursuit of wisdom thing in the context of a blog seemed a bit ambitious for what I was actually writing, so I changed the title. But it's still the name of our homeschool (though so far I've only had to use it on my Barnes and Noble card!)

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Amanda

We are St. Margaret Clitherow School--because my family is from the north of England, and because risking death by having Mass said in one's home sets a high bar for our domestic church!

Amanda
Back to Top View Amanda's Profile Search for other posts by Amanda

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

We are Trinity Academy. Dh and I were engaged on Trinity Sunday, and figure in a way our school of life together started then.
DH is in Marriage and Family Life work, and we attend Holy Family Parish (where we are very involved), so we have a huge devotion to the Holy Family as well.
so sometimes when the kids are asked where they go to school, they'll say "TrinityHolyFamily" it really throws people off!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
St Francis of Assisi is our homeschool patron. Ds chose him and I think he is the perfect choice for us!

St. Francis is ours as well.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

mandmsmom2001
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote mandmsmom2001

Good idea - don't know why we never thought to have a patron saint for our homeschool! Is there a patron saint of chaos? That's who ours should be! Or the patron saint of "hello?! why didn't i think of that?!"

I'll have to get the kids working on this one. Thanks for the idea.
Back to Top View mandmsmom2001's Profile Search for other posts by mandmsmom2001

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Like Theresa and Dawn, ours is also St. Francis of Assisi. Part of the reason is we enjoy nature study so much as a part of our daily lives. The other part is that my late father liked St. Francis a lot.

A really cool thing has come from this. Our oldest daughter has chosen St. Francis as her patron saint and will be taking the name Francis as her confirmation name this year.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We chose Our Lady of Guadalupe. I thought that I should change it when we moved, but a friend said I needed to keep it since she is the patron saint of the Americas.

We are living in a small town in Wales (Penally) where St. Teilos was born. I believe that his feast comes up this week (February 9th). He knew St. David and it is awesome to think that he walked these streets.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

We chose Sts. Benedict and Scholastica for so many reasons, but mostly because I fell deeply and completely in love with St. Benedict's Rule several years ago.

I love the visual of the back and white, the raven and dove, a man and a woman. They have proven to be excellent choices for us!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Thankyou so much for sharing!

I am learning right along with my DC about saints. I have enjoyed reading why some of you have chosen the saint(s) you have. My DD is wanting to pray to St. Cecelia as she loves music so much.

Elizabeth- I really enjoyed reading about St. John Bosco on your blog.

So many saints, so much to consider.

Keep sharing!

Blessings,

Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

Ours is the Sacred Heart Homeschool Academy.

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

We chose St. John Bosco for reasons similar to Elizabeth and St. Therese because we learned that she was home-schooled by her sister at some point and we just like her a lot.

Every time we say a Rosary or morning/evening prayers, we do a litany of family saints: "Sts. Michael, Agnes, Stephen, John, Clare, James and Gerard (for good measure since I am either pregnant or know many people who are at all times ), pray for us." and then we tag "St. Therese and John Bosco, pray for us," on to the end. It sure is nice to have all those saints praying for us so much. I sure do feel the graces flowing sometimes, especially when I start to feel like this     . We also have a frame in our school corner with St. Therese and St. John Bosco together.

Blessings,

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I allowed my 6 yo (who is not currenly homeschooled) choose our Saint. She chose St. Mary, and since Mary called me (quite loudly!) back to the Church, it seems appropriate.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version