Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Look what I just saw in my yard! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

I am a little behind but we had our first Towhee this year as well!!! I had always heard people talk about them but had never seen one (except in a book). I was SO excited.
Also, I hate to keep posting about our bear but it is becoming a regular visitor and as "fun" as it is to see it I don't like the regularity. I have taken down all my bird feeders and we let our dogs out at night only on leash. Last week our friend was back and I could not believe how huge it is. I measured the track length and span in the morning and it is the widest of the measurements given in my tracking book. The book also says they are from 200 to 600 pounds - I would not doubt it if this guy is around 500 pounds.   I'll try to get a picture next time - I just haven't had the presence of mind late at night to run and find my camera.   

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Well... not in my front yard. But yesterday, at a county park, in the middle of suburbia, a deer came bounding out of small stand of trees, across the soccer field and then lept over the players' bench. Can you imagine how those twelve-year-old boys felt when they saw the deer running at them full speed and then flying over them??? It was quite a sight.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

The oriole has returned and is nesting on our yard. I saw him gathering pieces of feed bags last week but lost him in the pines. This morning found the nest, tucked up in the branches of the cherry tree. This is our 4th year with a nest. I love watching that bag of a nest swallow the grown bird as it hops down in.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

We had a return visit from a manatee, I'm sure he came back just so we could get better pictures! It's awfully hard to take photos through the water but this set you can actually tell it's a manatee doing cool manatee things like drinking, swimming on back, swimming on belly...

Also narration by Marianna and a funny poem - all on manatees - posted on our blog!    

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Dana in TX
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Dana in TX

Here in Brazoria County, TX, we are definitely at the tail end of bird migration. We've had an incredible year with warbler sightings in our yard! These past few mornings it has actually been cool and my son and I walk the property scanning the trees. This morning we did see a couple of Black-throated greens and a Magnolia warbler. I think the cool weather (<75) is keeping the stragglers straggling!

Our current treat, though, is the nesting pair of yellow-billed cuckoos discovered in a small oak tree. I had heard the distinctive call for the past week or so, but we did not realized there was a nest. Seeing the cuckoos is a first for us!JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('%5BLOL%5D')

Our Eastern Screech owlets are growing well and should be testing the air soon. Three out of the four survived so far. The nest box is getting so crowded as they get bigger.JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('%5B:s%5D') Momma owl is spending more an more time outside the box.

Can someone tell me how to add the photos to a post as some have done?

ddintx
Back to Top View Dana in TX's Profile Search for other posts by Dana in TX

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Dana in TX wrote:
Can someone tell me how to add the photos to a post as some have done?

Dana, instead of linking to my blog, I've tried using the "add image" button but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyway, what wonderful nature everyone is sharing here! I feel like I hog this thread a bit but I just can't help myself. My boys and I love to check this thread and read about what is going on in other people's yards ~ bugs, bears, deer, birds and a manatee. We love it!

We had a few bird sightings yesterday: A Brown Thrasher, a robin on her nest, and we finally got a picture of the Baltimore oriole (better than the last one anyway)! I posted pictures at my blog of course.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I think I may just have to stop looking in my yard, because sometimes I see things I wish I hadn't ...

For instance, we had some frantic moments yesterday saving a chipmunk from the clutches of a neighbor's cat. His tail was injured, but he survived. And then, sadly, I found one of our little red squirrels dead behind the fence. I haven't told the boys because they will be .

Any advice for keeping a marauding cat out of your yard? I would never want to harm it, just scare it away. I love cats (I have 4 indoors of my own) but I wish my yard was less inviting. I suppose I could stop feeding the critters so as not to provide an all-day buffet, but I would hate to have to do that ...

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Hi Dawn,

Try this.

Love,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
Try this.

Thanks, Rebecca! I forwarded the URL to my husband just now. He said anything's better than my original idea which was keeping a water-gun handy (not that I'd ever have the heart to use it! ).

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I think I am going to have to have my cat de-clawed as a result of his ongoing killing spree. Nearly every day we find another dead animal-birds, mice, rats, squirrels, you name it. The last straw was when I found a dead cedar waxwing! It broke my heart! I have always been against de-clawing cats, but I don't know what else to do. I can't use the repellant because it is our own cat! And the water gun wouldn't work (and I would SO use it!) because he is outside almost all the time- a very active young cat.
Any other suggestions?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
I have always been against de-clawing cats, but I don't know what else to do.

What about a bell on a collar, to give the birds and squirrels etc. some warning? Only I wouldn't want to risk your Hobbes getting it caught on something and strangling himself, so maybe that's not a great idea after all. Hmmmm ...

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Dawn, I know they make cat collars that are self breaking or stretching if a cat gets it caught on something.

Theresa, Depending on the state of the gifts your kitty is leaving you, have you considered freezing them to use as models for art/nature notebooks? My uncle and his wife are both bird sculptors and use frozen birds as models, Tasha Tudor does the same with birds and small animals. We used to keep all sorts of frozen birds in the freezer until he could pick them up. Our favorite was a hummingbird that had a heat stroke in the greenhouse, the detail was amazing and I never would have been able to see it any other way. They sure won't sit still long enough!

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Jennifer,
I actually thought of that with the cedar waxwing and a recent Robin. Both were in good shape. But it was just too sad for me (I have huge guilt over this cat). Plus the dc were so upset. We have to bury them and say our prayers over them and the whole 9 yards. The furry critters are usually in too bad shape when found.
Dawn, I like the idea of a bell! I hadn't thought of that. Of course it won't help the little baby Eastern Pewees in the nest in the barn I found him crouched over yesterday (luckily we caught him before he pounced), but it could help other animals.
Thanks for the ideas.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Theresa,
I know it is such a delicate thing...but I thought the idea worth tossing out if it is appropriate for your family/age group. We seemed to grow up with it and it was so exciting to see the finished carving.

Okay - our freezer was really weird. Frozen birds, frozen insects and those are only two things I've mentioned on this forum!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 19 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

If it were our house we'd:

Bell the cat.
Read the story about belling the cat.
Keep the skins for taxidermy.

It's not just domestic cats, either...at the Queens Zoo last fall, our group was horrifed to witness a warbler caught by a lynx.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Our backyard was cause for some excitement this past week. First was the baby bunny, who managed to hop away from its`mommy. We just quietly observed it- looked heathy- and he went back home. Next were the baby robins (three) who sat in the nest, with their little heads tilted back, beaks up, waiting for that next worm (of which there are many, given all the rain we have had!) And yesterday was the skunk . The boys were going crazy , yelling and running from window to window, to watch its ambling and exploration of our very small yard. The squirrels who were chasing and playing took no notice of him.
(In the winter, we had a coyote.) Who would have thought the wildlife in a suburban backyard!
God Bless,
Stacy in MI
6 dss and dh of 21 years on the 25th!
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

MacBeth wrote:
If it were our house we'd:

Bell the cat.
Read the story about belling the cat.
Keep the skins for taxidermy.

It's not just domestic cats, either...at the Queens Zoo last fall, our group was horrifed to witness a warbler caught by a lynx.

MacBeth,
Which story about belling the cat? I haven't heard of this one.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 20 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

It's one of Aesop's...mice, tired of being caught and fearful, decide to bell the cat...but in the end, not one mouse has the courage to do so.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, Yea! Aesop! Duh! Thanks for the reminder!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

In the midst of yet another failed spore print attempt yesterday we were pleasantly surprised to find a toad in the garden! (pictures here)

We don't know what kind he is ~ American maybe? He did secrete some wet stuff on our hands (which we washed off), and though he was very jumpy at first, after 20 minutes or so he relaxed and let us hold him! The boys were so excited! He was a very cool little fellow.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version