Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Look what I just saw in my yard! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Angie Mc wrote:
Can I be jealous? A painted bunting is one of the top birds I would like to see...anywhere!

Me too! That and my beloved Cardinal, that I'll *never* see unless we visit my parents.

We *did* however see what I thought was a Mountain Bluebird at our feeder. It moved so quickly I didn't get a positive ID, muchless my camera! This is pretty exciting since, and correct me if I'm wrong, bluebirds are often beset upon by starlings who overtake their nests, pushing the eggs out. I hope our yard and nest boxes will be bluebird friendly.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 29 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

See now I would love to have bluebirds in our yard. We do have them in the area, but we've never seen one ourselves. Our bluebird box is much too close to our house and is usually used by wasps    , though some years we get house wrens.

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

The kids and I just took a walk and I was snapping pictures of anything interesting. We were looking for wildflowers. We found this clover and saw the bumblebee. I took 7 or 8 pictures. Imagine my surprise when we got home and I downloaded the pictures to take a good look at them and found this..... it is posted on my blog.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Mama Bluebird is sitting on 5 beautiful eggs in the box in my front yard. This is an Eastern bluebird, btw.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Okay! Apparently we are having a very nature-ific day around here. Dh and I were just coming home from dinner (that was cool, too) and in our driveway/front yard we saw 2 fox kits, apparently out for hunting lessons. We have been seeing the adult male fairly regularly for a couple of months and know the den is in the woods just behind our house (we know it's the male because he has demonstrated his territorial marking behavior -- need I say more?). The kits are too cute. Their tails are not nearly the *brush* of the adults, but they have the white tip. They are about as big as a half-grown kitten and are very puppy-ish looking. I'm excited to have seen them; can you tell?

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 05 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

How precious (not the marking part )!      

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Wow, Nancy! What wonderful sightings!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Spotted an indigo bunting the past couple of days. What a beauty!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Lucky girl! I've never seen an indigo bunting but they sure sound gorgeous!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

OK, it wasn't technically in our yard. But it was on our street, in a puddle on the side of the road. Can you guess? It was an alligator!! He was not to big, about four years old. We stopped our van and he scampered away into the woods. They are out and about now looking for water because we are in a drought. My oldest wanted to get out and catch him because the gator wasn't to big

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2007 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Isn't this drought awful, Kirsten? I don't think we in the FL Keys are "seeing" it as much as you mainlanders, we look out on the ocean and it rises and falls quite often but I hear your canals are drying up and boats are on their sides at docks.

We're noticing it in the wierd behavior of animals and neighbors. The neighbors are all turning eachother in for violations (She was watering her flowers on TUESDAY!!!) and the animal migrations are either lacking (very few Zebra Butterflies) or intense and that brings me to my backyard sighting of Tanagers:

Summer Tanagers
Scarlet Tanagers

This is a first sighting for me, very exciting, they're lovely! I wonder how long they'll stick around?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Jennifer,
Yes it is awful. We have a lot of little lakes and ponds that are dried up in our area. The news had said to watch out for the gators, because they would be looking for water.
We are praying for rain here. We had a little yesterday, which gave us the puddle in the road.
I have never seen a Tanager. Enjoy them while they are around!!

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2007 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

When we lived in Gainesville we had tanagers come through every year. They are gorgeous! The neat thing is, if I remember correctly, that the males and females are such different colors. I think the female summer tanagers are yellow and the scarlet females are greenish. They look so pretty with their bright red mates!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh! I just saw a rose-breasted grosbeak! WOW! What a gorgeous bird,and a new one for me! It sat no more than 10 feet from me on the suet feeder while I sat on the front porch. Just stunning! What a treat!

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2007 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

lapazfarm wrote:
Spotted an indigo bunting the past couple of days. What a beauty!

I just saw one of these in our yard! And I would never have known what it was if you hadn't posted this!    It was hanging around our VERY busy thistle feeder. We just put it up a little over a week ago and I counted 14 goldfinches either feeding or waiting in a nearby tree for a spot to open up today.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

All the tanagers and buntings are so cool - beats the house finches which is pretty much all we are seeing here!

bfarmmom wrote:
It was an alligator!!

Really cool! Guess in Florida maybe it's not quite as novel as it would be in the Rocky Mountains.

Well this is what we did see today - a fox. Not very exciting but I actually had the camera outside at the time.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Here's our latest visitor. I know bats are protected in England. Are they here, too? And does anyone know the species of this little cutie?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, it is hard to tell from the picture, and bats are not my specialty, but it looks like a Little Brown or a Silver- haired?
Try this key:Bats of Maryland
I don't remember where you are located, but there is also a bat called the Evening bat that looks similar, but I think it is only in the deep south.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, this is the day for bats! Rox found one too.

I didn't get pictures, but I posted about the Carolina wren pair we saw early this morning, as well as the Eastern towhee, a spring migrant we saw last year!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 14 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Ds spotted a probable Desert Iguana climbing up our back block fence! He was in our kitchen and could see this big guy from quite a distance. I looked out the window and could see him moving, to hide under a ladder (don't ask) laying on the ground. Ds ran outside to get a closer look, but the startled iguana climbed up and over the fence. It took us FOREVER to identify him (in part because we believe he didn't have his full tail) but as soon as ds saw the picture linked he said "That's him! He gives you the same feeling each time you see him...awwwk!"

Pretty exciting stuff!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version