Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Look what I just saw in my yard! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote soodow

Just this morning (7:45) as we turned out of our driveway a black bear cub was trotting down the road! We all had a great view.
No mama in sight.
Sue in NH
Mom of 6 wonderful children
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Sue, how exciting! (Well, assuming Mama was okay somewhere.)

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just put up a bunch of nature pictures at my blog. As usual there are a few things we can't identify (fungus, caterpillar, spider, butterfly - the usual suspects ) We would love any suggestions!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 24 2006 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Okay - I know this really shouldn't count here because it wasn't in my yard...but we saw fireflies tonight!!    "Big deal" most of you (Easterners) say. But it is a huge deal for us in the West. We had a discussion about this last summer - "lack of fireflies in the west". In 42 years I have NEVER seen fireflies in the Rockies or west of here. But tonight at a nature center marshy area (where we went to see bats up close and personal after they were caught in mist nets - way cool, BTW!) we saw several of the flashing wonders of summer. You have no idea how amazing this is to a western girl.

All in all it was a fantastic nature outing. In addition to the bats (Little Browns) and fireflies, we saw a deer, nighthawk, voles, rabbits, frogs, and a Virginia Rail. Apparently this is supposed to be an elusive, solitary bird - common yet hard to spot, but our guide said this one hasn't read the behavior books and is very often seen even with large groups of nosiy children around.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

I don't know how to do links yet but when we were going in to Mass last night there was a beautiful Cecropia moth right next to the door. It was amazing! I had NEVER seen a moth that big before! The kids could have watched it all night. We think it had just emerged from its' coccoon.
Hollee
Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
Okay - I know this really shouldn't count here because it wasn't in my yard...but we saw fireflies tonight!!

We saw them!! It was sooooo cool! MaryM took us back to the exact spot and just after dark they came out. It was wonderful (did you already get that idea? ). Bats were swooping by our heads and the kids with their headlamps (which Mary brought per MacBeth's recommendation) were looking at crawdads on the bottom of the water and spider webs along the pussywillow leaves. BTW, spiderwebs are way more cool at night when using a flashlight.

We almost decided not to go at the last minute when it looked like a deluge of rain had hit that area, but we had to be out anyway and we decided to chance it; the ground wasn't even wet although it had poured just a few blocks away. Our Guardian Angels were just as helpful as could be (thanks).

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 03 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

rm4mrfrus wrote:
was a beautiful Cecropia moth right next to the door.

Nice, Hollee! This is a good time of year for finding interesting moths...and for all you campers out there, head over to the bathrooms at night with your collecting materials and see what's there!

Oh, and head lamps? I love them for night walks.   

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We've been dealing with Timber rattlers. I wrote about them in my blog, here

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

We found the most bizarre bugs on our wildflowers yesterday. I have never seen *anything* like them and would love some help identifying them. I posted pictures on my blog. Scale insects? Mealybugs? Alien life forms?

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I'm sure my boys were trying to cheer me up when they brought me this present from the farm, today.

The photo really doesn't do it justice though. I have to say, this tumblebug is one for the record books...it's a full 2 inches tip-to-tip and boy was he hairy underneath...the biggest bug I've ever seen in my life.

You'd be proud of me, Macbeth. Not one squeal!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 05 2006 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

saintanneshs wrote:

You'd be proud of me, Macbeth. Not one squeal!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

We have a *huge* spider web (and its accompanying spider) on our deck. We think it might be an orb weaver spider?? Naturally, I posted about it this morning.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Just had to share what has blown into our "yard" lately - Portuguese Man of War!!!

Gosh, they're beautiful!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We have discovered a resident hawk (complete with dead squirrel in talons). We think it's a female red-tailed hawk (we saw one up close at a nature talk in WV). She reappeared in the yard day before yesterday, and we hear her cries often.

The squirrels are making a mess of my yard, gnawing on pinecones, so I appreciate our hawk's presence!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just posted a whole bunch of bird pictures at my blog. We're kicking off our winter bird study!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I love winter bird studies. Nancy, I was thinking of you yesterday when a pair of falcons was circling over our village. It's great to have these large predators in residence.

Great photos, Dawn! It's so hard to get a good shot out this window . Funny that we always seem to get the same birds, and though I have not seen a goldfinch at the feeder, my neighbor found a juvenile a few springs ago in her shrubs.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Yesterday outside of our parish, we stopped to look at a new bird to us...so of course we were very excited. From our angle, the bird looked and perched chickadee-ish with pale colors. We watched this short, chubby bird for some time without it moving. Then it moved just a bit and we saw a long tail feather (that had originally blended in with the tree twigs.) Then we moved closer and saw speckling. Then...sigh...we realized it was our old friend the cactus wren all pulled in tight with feathers fluffed because of the cold weather. We are so used to seeing sleek stretched wrens perched woodpecker-like that it honestly looked like a completely different bird! A valuable siting none the less .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Somehow I always feel good when nature's food chain is part of my outdoor landscape. Sort of like...we haven't been THAT obtrusive. I am hoping my parents take my big hint to heart and get dd a pair of decent binoculars for her birthday next month.

Now I need to figure out how to photograph these birds!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

We had red-winged blackbirds in our backyard today! They are not due back till March! I posted about them here and here.

I think they've jumped the gun a bit - we are supposed to go down to single digits by Thursday.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

The red-winged black bird was the very first I identified after I found out a bit about birding on the CCM list. It will always hold a special place in my birding heart.

Yesterday, a red-tailed hawk (somewhat common here) swooped over the edge of our yard (not common) and perched in a tree a few yards over...very cool. My children and I were bummed that it didn't land in OUR yard...maybe next time.

Oh, I made a very simple birding chart for 7yo ds. I made a grid with 13 columns, one to note bird sited and the other 12 for the months of 2007. I copied two sheets, one for Freestone Park sitings and the other for the Riparian Preserve. Each chart is divided in half - waterfowl and other. We'll visit each park at least once a month and list birds sited. Then we'll check the month sited. We aren't getting fussy with weather, exact dates, time of day, etc. By the end of the year he should be able to know which birds live here year round (which he already has a good clue about) and which visit.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version