Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Need Fantasy Book Suggestions for ds12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 10 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

laurabelle wrote:
We are currently listening to The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. There is some sorcery mentioned, so it might not be a good fit for you. I'm finding it rather interesting.

I'd love to know others opinions about Garth Nix.

Also I've just reserved a pile of fantasy books from the library based on reviews somewhere and can't remember where to double check. Actually I didn't have enough info the first time.

I'd love opinions on the following authors;
Garth Nix (Keys to the Kingdom series and others)
Alexander Gordon Smith (escape from Furnace)
Diana Wynne Jones
Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)
Kenneth Oppel (Silverwing)

The boys (16 & 14) are clamouring to read and I'm struggling to find the interest in fantasy at present to pre-read. Dh is too slow for their liking, so I told them I'll ask the 4Real ladies.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2011 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

My son and I just read The Book of Time by Guillame Prevost, it's a series. We enjoyed it. I highly recommend the following authors for fantasy novels: Bruce Coville, Madeline L'Engle and Jane Yolen. Llyod Alexander has written many other books besides those mentioned. The old Disny movie "The Black Cauldron" is based loosely on the Pyrdain Chronicles. How about the Narnia books? Sometimes libraries will have lists of books in various genres, perhaps your library has one.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks for these Mary, checking out my library.

I just found this thread about Silverwing.

Can anyone recommend any great sites for reviews on fantasy books? I'd like something that says, heads up here, so I can make an informed choice.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version