Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Real Food - What To Eat and Why Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Elizabeth wrote:
Since then, I've become pretty committed to local farms. We get our meat from Polyface Farms, which is mentioned by Nina Planck several times (she quotes the farmer, Joel Salatin) and we get eggs, cheese and some produce from [URL=http://www.quailcovefarms.com]Quail Cove Farm

Oh I am a little jealous Joel Salatin is who we are trying to model our little family farm after. We were city dwellers (Boca Raton,Fl) before we moved out into the country. This is new to us and we learn as we go. We have been farming for 3 yr now and we are still learning so much.
The big change for us or should I say me, with the real food is the time and thought involved in preparing it. This is where I am hoping my new meal planning will pay off.(I have not done this before) It is not the most convenient and not the easiest or quickest way of putting food on the table, but I think worth it in the long run. And it does taste so much better

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

bfarmmom wrote:

Oh I am a little jealous Joel Salatin is who we are trying to model our little family farm after. We were city dwellers (Boca Raton,Fl) before we moved out into the country. This is new to us and we learn as we go. We have been farming for 3 yr now and we are still learning so much.

Last night, with much heavy sighing, I told Mike that I wished we could establish a Polyface-like farm in Florida. So, now who's jealous? Of course, I know absolutely zero about farming and I can't even get Mike to go to the bluebells with us because that much pollen makes his eyes swell shut...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote trish

bfarmmom wrote:

The big change for us or should I say me, with the real food is the time and thought involved in preparing it. This is where I am hoping my new meal planning will pay off.(I have not done this before) It is not the most convenient and not the easiest or quickest way of putting food on the table, but I think worth it in the long run. And it does taste so much better

That is the real challenge isn't it. But the planning does pay off. Your family is fed well and nutritionally balanced the old fashioned way.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I'm always trying to improve my menu planning so that I can soak more of my grains. I haven't gotten to the sprouting and grinding my own flour ever--not sure I will--but when I do plan ahead enough to soak my grains the taste is so much better and we fill up much more quickly. A breakfast like oatmeal "sticks to our ribs" better if we soak it overnight. Keeping things simple helps me remember. Every Sunday we have pancakes so both dh and I know to set them out the night before. Three times a week we have oatmeal--same thing. I don't usually remember to soak rice for dinner, but I'm learning to incorporate things one at a time. Soaking doesn't have to be all or nothing!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I love this topic!   

Read Nina Planck's book as well as Marion Nestle's (What to Eat, which she really should have titled What Not to Eat ) and still working on Kingsolver's book and Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. Major eye-openers, esp. Pollan's and Kingsolver's; though I've been aware of the problems for years and have tried hard to switch over our diet, it was great to see everything discussed in one place.

Try to find a Locavore group near you -- it helps to have like-minded people nearby to discuss things with, share resources, etc. Already I've found sources for local greens even in winter, local maple syrup, there's even a farm only a few hours away that grows grains!!!

Mary, if I'm not mistaken, Door-to-Door Organics is in Denver. I'm trying them out as they just started here -- I'm supposed to get my first order today (it might already be on the porch as I type this). AFAIK this is the first company that is trying to get local farmers and consumers AND convenience all put together. The reviews have been good, my local coordinator doesn't have all local farmers lined up yet so he's still getting organic food from out of state, but he's working hard to get local farmers into this.

On our Locavore group one complaint the farmers make is that people don't want to go out and drive to buy stuff from different sources, which is probably true of most people. Hopefully DTDO can help alleviate that problem and still give farmers what's due them. Another complaint is that people these days are not as connected to the food they eat -- we're trying to remedy this in our own home by growing our own.   

Anyone wintersowing this year? I'm starting today. Can't get any more local than your own backyard

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Stef -- thanks for the note about Door-to-Door .... I'll check them out. I also found a farm near here that delivers free to the metro area and has farm tours, classes and day-camp for kids and adults to learn all about farming -- how cool is that, especially for my Maggie who LOVES going to her uncles' farm in NC (but we HATE the drive to said farm!) BTW, the farm is called Coastal Fields

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Regarding pork... if you read some of Joel Salatin's work you can get it
Basically, the modern breeds are bred lean... I think they are much like cattle in that those that are not organic (and it is hard for those not in VA near Salatin's farm to get organic pork) do not digest the food properly. They are rooters, and their shovel shaped noses are designed for rooting around.

I too have been reading these books. I am 1/2 way through Omnivore's Dilemma, read AVM, and Real food (I saw the link on Elizabeth's site ages ago and thought it was 4REAL food ).

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Ok - I am waiting for my seasonal cookbook to arrive. What is in season now? But we will always have to eat blueberries, pineapple, bananas and oranges which are not local?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here is Nina Planck on pork.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks for that link, Elizabeth. Makes me feel better about my Niman Ranch bacon addiction (which is available at Trader Joe's, by the way).

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Which begs me to ask the question:

Where do you get non-corn fed meat/poultry?
As yet we do not have a Whole Foods (it's coming) or Trader Joe's... we DO have a couple of small (and expensive) local 'natural foods' places, whose selection is not great.

Dh wont go for a share in a CSA either. He doesn't really eat many veggies anyway .

ideas?

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Speaking of food related books...
Has anyone read Death by Supermarket by Nancy Deville?

Lighting a Fire

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Elizabeth wrote:
Here is Nina Planck on pork.

Thank you so much for that link Elizabeth. That's really exactly the kind of info I was looking for regarding pork!

Rachel, We found a wonderful farmer who raises his heritage hogs exclusively on pasture through the Eat Well Guide. You could also just do some googling with your local area listed and pasture fed hogs as key words and see what you come up with. HTH!

ETA: Just wanted to add this link for your consideration Local Harvest

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
Ok - I am waiting for my seasonal cookbook to arrive. What is in season now? But we will always have to eat blueberries, pineapple, bananas and oranges which are not local?

Thought I'd throw these links out there in case you hadn't seen them. Maybe they'll give you a few ideas until your books come in?

All Foods Natural - Seasonal Eating Guide for Winter

World's Healthiest Foods - Seasonal Eating

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I just finished reading The Omnivores Dilemma. Pretty interesting read. I've just started Barbara's book too.
We render our own lard from the raw lard we get when we order our pastured pork. A little bit of extra work but my kids love their pies.    It makes gorgeous crusts.
It's hard to find local veges and fruit here right now. We only have potatoes and beets left from our garden. Hopefully with better planning this year we'll be able to save up more root veges.   

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

MarilynW wrote:

Well, here are some dinners from the past week or two that are strictly seasonal:
White Chili (made with chicken, white beans, onions, celery) with Corn Bread Muffins
Lentil Soup (this has carrots and kale in it) with Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls
French Dip (roast in the crockpot with lots of juices) and cole slaw, baked apples for dessert
Swedish Meatballs over rice with cooked carrots and stir fried kale
Glazed chicken with wild rice salad (includes chopped fresh carrots, radishes, apples, raisins, spices)

And I am flexible. My dd asked for bananas, and she gets nose bleeds in the winter, so absolutely, YES on that. No on strawberries. We can wait for those. Unless she asks for her birthday next month. Then, yes. Also, I just bought some local cold hardy lettuce that I have yet to try. It looks good though, nice deep green. No on iceburg lettuce right now.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MichelleW wrote:
[QUOTE=MarilynW]
And I am flexible. My dd asked for bananas, and she gets nose bleeds in the winter, so absolutely, YES on that. No on strawberries. We can wait for those. Unless she asks for her birthday next month. Then, yes. Also, I just bought some local cold hardy lettuce that I have yet to try. It looks good though, nice deep green. No on iceburg lettuce right now.

I kind of figure bananas are mostly out of season anyway, yk? I don't really think I'm getting Florida bananas, and they still have to come quite a ways even if they were.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Just thought I'd add what's for dinner tonight:

Pumpkin Soup and Salmon Cakes.

Ok, now are you all jealous? Dh's been gone for four days so I thought I'd welcome him home with something yummy and warm.

Lindsay, I know our bananas travel and what makes me cringe even more is how cheap they are. Our grocery store sells them for 37 cents a pound. Every time I buy some I wonder who picked these and what did they get paid for their work? Are they able to feed their families while I am feeding mine the fruit of their labor? But yeah, bananas will never be a local food for us.

Several years ago I went to a plant show and one of the nurserymen had a banana plant. I was so excited! He quickly talked me down and said that while banana plants are wonderful indoor plants here, they would never produce fruit indoors.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Raise your hand if you wish Michelle had a food blog

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Those do sound yummy!

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic