Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can we talk about hair??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I want to go to a really good salon to get my hair cut...somewhere where they actually give me advice rather than just asking me what I want (I'm a mom with soon to be 6 kids...like I have ANY clue what would look good on me I can't remember the last time I even thought about hair, let alone had it cut other than by me when I am frustrated with long bangs...).

I did a search in my area on salons and there are so many (I'm sure its the same no matter where one lives) I don't even know where to start. Should I assume if its expensive then its going to be good? How do I pick a place or a person (I don't have anyone to ask for a recommendation)? And I only have about 2 weeks to my due date...I'd really like to do this before the baby comes and I can't get away.

Any suggestions or advice???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Do NOT assume that if its pricey it's good. Try to pick a locally owned salon, though you can get a good cut at a "super"salon type place(I never have). Do you have curly hair, or long? If you can go to a couple of places and describe your hair and what you think you might want, you might be able to get a consult before hand(I know, time is tight) and find someone who is good at working with your hair type. I don't know if I am explaining this well, my daughter is a hairdresser and never rushes a new client through the process of a new style.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes.. even try by phone.. you'll know when you talk to the person on the phone if she's rushing you to just make an appt. or if she's listening to you. Ask to speak to the stylists, find out their experience etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Do you have any beauty schools near you? The students give good, decent cuts. But in your case, most importantly, you will have an INSTRUCTOR present for the discussion about how you want the cut...insist on this and they will oblige! The instructors are usually really good and knowldegeable, even if the student is not. You may even get 5-6 other students and a couple other instructors gathered around you discussing the options and arguing about it. It's really neat.

Otherwise, I'd pick a couple nice-looking private salons and just walk in....tell them that you don't know at all what you want and you want someone to help you decide...."Do you have someone that is good with that sort of thing and can help me?" If yes, and they are there, you could ask to just say hello, give a couple quick ideas, get a card, and call to make an appointment later on, if you think it'll work.

If you don't want to physically go in...you can always call a couple of places. Ask to talk to the owner of the place and see if he/she has anyone in mind after you describe yourself and what you're looking for. They know the stregths of their stylists even if they are just renting space from them.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We move a lot...finding a hairstylist is one of the worst parts of moving. I usually ask people (even total strangers) where they got their great haircut. Most people are happy to provide information about their hairstylist.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Tami

I agree to ask others around you. I'd especially try to find someone who has the same hair type that you do. I know it's made a big difference for me in finding someone to cut my hair.

I'd also call different salons and talk with them - ask if they have someone who is really good with ____________ type of hair, and tell them how much time you like/have to spend maintaining it.

Have fun!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I guess I am just going to have to walk in and look around a few, huh, and then ask some questions. Sigh...never enough time...

~Books

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I always go loaded for bear, I cut out tons of photos from magazines of hair I like and then I write on it what I like about it - the layers here, or the length there, front views, back views, side views - I think it is super helpful to see what you're talking about.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

marihalojen wrote:
I think it is super helpful to see what you're talking about.

This is what I was thinking too. I had a friend once ask for pictures of my hair cut, so we did pictures of the front, sides, and back and wrote a description. Her hairdresser said it helped a lot especially to see it from different angles. So if you are asking people and they won't think you are creepy, you could do some digital pictures to take along with you.

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Oh, I just wanted to second the idea of going to a school. I'm not sure where you're located, but if there is an Aveda Institute around, they are great! It's essentially $12 for an Aveda hair cut (and they give you a head and neck massage! I'd pay $12 for that! ). Not to mention their products are amazing and smell so good!!! I have always been happy when I go there, though I do always know how I want my hair cut.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

So here's my next question...You know how perms don't stick when you are nursing or pg? Is the same true of color/highlights? That's not something I have ever done and I don't know a thing about it...

~Books

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:
You know how perms don't stick when you are nursing or pg?

Nope the stickiest perm I've ever had was right before I found out I was pregnant with my oldest. Of course when normally I get 3 good months and another 3 onths of rapidly decreasing curl.. it's not hard to beat that (and yes, that's with a professional perm)

I think the one thing is that your hair isn't going to necessarily react like it normally does.. so that can be good or not

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I've never heard that---about the color/highlights not sticking.    I get a "full foil" (cuz i wear my hair up a lot) and it is fine when I'm preg. Another thing to ask about.

A bit of color or highlights can totally give your face a lift!!!! If you have short hair or never wear it up....you could do a "partial foil"...just the top and sides.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Well, its encouraging to hear that color might help and isn't necessarily out of the question. That's what I need...a "lift"! I figure I'm going to have several months of postpartum weight to drop (9 mos on/9 mos. off...sigh.... ) but at least I can have better hair!

~Books

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

This Mayo Clinic web page is concerning re hair dye in pregnancy: "Some recent studies suggest an association between dying your hair when pregnant and some childhood cancers, but the evidence is weak." -- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-dye-and-pregnancy/AN00 241

Looks like there might be less concern about dyeing hair while nursing. http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId= 949

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Foiling hair is taking tiny segments of it and highlighting it. It's NOT at all the whole head of hair. Even the very holistic/health-concerned midwives in Seattle say, "go for it" when you're pregnant in your last trimester and ask about a parital foil.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything on my hair in the first trimester. But everyone has a diff't comfort level.

A parital foil is also less dramatic in terms of the difference in your real color and your highlights, so the "growth" isn't as noticeable, which means you can go longer between getting it done.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

SuzanneG wrote:
Foiling hair is taking tiny segments of it and highlighting it. It's NOT at all the whole head of hair. Even the very holistic/health-concerned midwives in Seattle say, "go for it" when you're pregnant in your last trimester and ask about a parital foil.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything on my hair in the first trimester. But everyone has a diff't comfort level.

A parital foil is also less dramatic in terms of the difference in your real color and your highlights, so the "growth" isn't as noticeable, which means you can go longer between getting it done.

I am so close to the end now that I don't think I'd worry about chemicals and the baby (I am a fanatic about chemicals during the first trimester)...I'm more worried about it not taking and wasting the money, but it sounds like that's not going to happen. I will definitely look into the partial idea...that seems like it won't be quite so obvious if I can't get back to have it touched up right away.

I'm starting to get excited now! Its been so so long since I've done anything like this.

~Books

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I'm afraid that when it comes to the end of my pregnancy I always go short. My husband likes my hair longer but it is extremely thick. If I go to the salon while it is long and let them wash my hair, the hair dresser has to help me lift my head out of the sink because the hair gets so heavy.

So I agree to grow it out while I'm pregnant, but about a month before my due date I get it cut to chin length. After I have a baby, I'm lucky to get a shower at all so it really helps to take 15 minutes off of the wash, dry, and style time that cutting it short affords me. Sometimes I even get to use that 15 minutes to eat something.

Finding a "good" hairdresser that you trust to give you good style tips is always a process. I've never been picky about who cut my hair, because I have never had any real sense of style. My husband likes to find a person he is comfortable with and only go to them; I found this is really good for the kids, too. Recently, our normal hairdresser, Amber, quit her job. We started freaking out. Luckily, she tracked us down at a festival she knew we would be at and gave us information about her new job and said she would even come to our house. Now that's what I call service!

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Another thing to consider is if you usually have what my hairdresser and I call "postpartum fallout." IN other words, once your hormones start readjusting postpartum, there is the tendency to lose some of your hair. I tend to lose A LOT starting at around 3 months, so I try not to do anything drastic hair-wise in early postpartum.

I have short, curly hair to begin with, which grows very rapidly during pregnancy. It usually really drives me nuts by the end of pregnancy. I learned the hard way after going super short late in my first pregnancy, then had some pretty bad hair loss postpartum. Never again.

It's interesting how hormones affect your hair. My hairdresser (who happens to be DH's aunt), can usually tell by my hair that I'm pregnant and notices changes in women's hair who have either started or discontinued oral contraceptives. Usually there is a change in the normal texture of the hair. Some women get more frizzy, others straighten out a bit.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

vmalott wrote:
Another thing to consider is if you usually have what my hairdresser and I call "postpartum fallout." IN other words, once your hormones start readjusting postpartum, there is the tendency to lose some of your hair. I tend to lose A LOT starting at around 3 months, so I try not to do anything drastic hair-wise in early postpartum.

I have short, curly hair to begin with, which grows very rapidly during pregnancy. It usually really drives me nuts by the end of pregnancy. I learned the hard way after going super short late in my first pregnancy, then had some pretty bad hair loss postpartum. Never again.

It's interesting how hormones affect your hair. My hairdresser (who happens to be DH's aunt), can usually tell by my hair that I'm pregnant and notices changes in women's hair who have either started or discontinued oral contraceptives. Usually there is a change in the normal texture of the hair. Some women get more frizzy, others straighten out a bit.

Valerie

Well now, that is something I hadn't thought of. Weird how your hair dresser can tell that kind of thing! I don't usually lose a lot of hair post partum. BUT...my hair color changed with my first pregnancy and never went back. I liked the first color better ...

~Books

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version