Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite Christmas Videos / Movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
What...maybe something like this...???

PERFECT....except where is my wine glass? I don't see my wine glass there next to the kleenex??

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This is one of the Hallmark movies I like: The Ultimate Gift with Drew Fuller and James Garner.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

JennGM wrote:
This is one of the Hallmark movies I like: The Ultimate Gift with Drew Fuller and James Garner.

I LOVE this movie! We watched this with our teens and got a lot of good discussion and laughs out of it!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:

Love's Christmas Journey which is the most recent release from the Janette Oke Love Saga series.

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!!             There is a "LOVE SAGA" Christmas movie that I don't know about???????            Obviously, I have been WAY too enchanted with boy-toys to pay attention to movies these days!!!!!! But, HOLY SMACKERS!!!!!             A LOVE SAGA Christmas movie!!!!! I can't believe it! Fabulous! It calls for some Enstrom's Toffee and popcorn with endless butter!!!!!!!!

Mackfam wrote:
Yeah. Love saga. Go ahead - tell your husband you want to cuddle up on the couch and watch THAT together! Just make sure you hand him a new Cabela's catalog to flip through while you watch!!!
I'm thinking Cabela's by itself is not enough......a movie like that just SCREAMS for the addition of catalogues from Bud K ....and Sportsman's Guide!!!!!!                                             

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
MaryM wrote:

PERFECT....except where is my wine glass? I don't see my wine glass there next to the kleenex??

Yes, WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE WINE GLASS, Mary?????   

....says the gal who was without a single glass for the past week    NOT PRETTY!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
MaryM wrote:

Yes, WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE WINE GLASS, Mary?????   

....says the gal who was without a single glass for the past week    NOT PRETTY!

Either the kleenex OR the wine - can't have 'em both in the emoticon world, I guess...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We'll just have to put 'em together then. This is me....stealing wine from Suzanne while she boo-hoo's over the latest LOVE SAGA movie.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Speaking of wine, have you tried the Black Box wine? We get it at Costco, and the little box holds the equivalent of 4 bottles and its vacuum sealed so it keeps the wine fresh for up to 4 weeks! Very affordable, and nice. The red is better than the white according to dh, but I don't mind the white. It is nice to be able to dispense a glass at a time without worries over it going sour. Plus, we can have a red and white open at the same time.

Back to your regularly scheduled movie thread

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Love's Christmas Journey which is the most recent release from the Janette Oke Love Saga series.

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!!             There is a "LOVE SAGA" Christmas movie that I don't know about???????           

And, I didn't realize until looking at their site that the Love Begins series is actually the PREQUEL to the Love Comes Softly series. Duh! But, if you go to this page you can see the order you should watch the movies for them to make sense.

Love Begins
Love's Everlasting Courage

........AND THEN......
Love Comes Softly
.....and so on.....

Fire up the popcorn maker.....it's time for a LOVE-SAGA-FEST!!! Girls only!!! I'm sending all the boys out to the range for the day!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Speaking of wine, have you tried the Black Box wine? We get it at Costco, and the little box holds the equivalent of 4 bottles and its vacuum sealed so it keeps the wine fresh for up to 4 weeks! Very affordable, and nice. The red is better than the white according to dh, but I don't mind the white. It is nice to be able to dispense a glass at a time without worries over it going sour. Plus, we can have a red and white open at the same time.

Oh my stars! What a perfect tangent for our movie thread!!!

I haven't tried the Black Box wine, though I do ADORE the store brand (Kirkland) Chardonnay!! Have you tried it? It's FABULOUS!!! They work with particular vineyards to come up with their own Chardonnay and market it under their Kirkland label, but it actually comes from very reputable and popular vineyards. It's a fantastic Chardonnay. The Chardonnay is the only one they keep out year-round, but they also have a Merlot and a Sauvignon Blanc, both of which are also GREAT!!! All that to say, if you have a Costco, try the Kirkland name wine!!!

And now I'm excited to try the Black Box wine!!!!!!!!!!!! With my LOVE-SAGA-FEST.....and POPCORN!!!!!!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is nice to be able to dispense a glass at a time without worries over it going sour. Plus, we can have a red and white open at the same time.

Hmm, I never have a problem with an open bottle sitting around too long

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Karen T wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
It is nice to be able to dispense a glass at a time without worries over it going sour. Plus, we can have a red and white open at the same time.

Hmm, I never have a problem with an open bottle sitting around too long

Karen

I hear ya, Karen!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

A couple more cheese recommendations for when you are spending an evening alone or trying to torture your husband via Netflix Instant:

Mrs. Miracle -- I watched this one yesterday afternoon while home alone wrapping presents. It is actually really cute, and thematically, it would be an acceptable one to watch with older daughters. There is nothing questionable, but it would a little dramatic/romantic for my little boys.

Borrowed Hearts--My sister and I used to watch these every year (we taped it off television) along with the Christmas Box movies (remember those?). As I stated above, I have no idea why I enjoy this movie so much, though I suspect it is the cute little girl. Thematically, it might be more problematic since divorce plays heavily into the plot, which is SO cheesy (wealthy man borrows a mother and daughter to play his family to impress a client), but it is fun popcorn fare for the "weaker sex"

12 Dogs of Christmas--I watched this one with the boys last year. Its cute, and I don't recall anything questionable, but then, I was pregnant and sick and crippled and trying to sell my house last Christmas, so I can't promise I paid much attention The boys liked it. Lots of Dogs.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Karen's ELF-movie-question here.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
I don't think this movie has been mentioned yet so I'm adding (mentioned on another thread):
knowloveserve wrote:
MaryM wrote:
[QUOTE=SuzanneG] Christmas in the Trenches (war).

Oh, yes, that is the other one I wanted to mention, but forgot. It's about the Christmas Truce of Dec. 24, 1914 (WWI)
Christmas in the Trenches link

A fantastic movie on this is Joyeux Noel... truly great.   One of the few foreign films that held my dh's attention the whole way through.

We just watched this last night and it was really good! My husband doesn't like subtitles either, but he didn't mind them with THIS one! TOTALLY held his attention and he really enjoyed it!

I got my copy of The Ultimate Gift from the library yesterday, so that's next in line!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SuzanneG wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
I don't think this movie has been mentioned yet so I'm adding (mentioned on another thread):
knowloveserve wrote:
MaryM wrote:
[QUOTE=SuzanneG] Christmas in the Trenches (war).

Oh, yes, that is the other one I wanted to mention, but forgot. It's about the Christmas Truce of Dec. 24, 1914 (WWI)
Christmas in the Trenches link

A fantastic movie on this is Joyeux Noel... truly great.   One of the few foreign films that held my dh's attention the whole way through.

We just watched this last night and it was really good! My husband doesn't like subtitles either, but he didn't mind them with THIS one! TOTALLY held his attention and he really enjoyed it!

I got my copy of The Ultimate Gift from the library yesterday, so that's next in line!
j

Just went ahead and ordered this one on your recommendation. We no longer have a dvd option for Netflix since the price increased and we barely used it once a month if that anyway. Looking forward to a holiday date night with the hubby.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Haven't seen it, but in browsing a bit, I came across this Netflix Christmas movie Nativity that looks promising.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
I of course have to mention that I'm a schmaltz...so anything Bing or any old movie I'm a sucker for...
** White Christmas
** Come to the Stable
** Christmas in Connecticut
** Holiday Inn
** Miracle on 34th Street
** Little Women (with Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon - few remakes are better than the older versions, this one is!)
** The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey - we really enjoyed watching this last year. It's well done. Keep kleenex near!
** Desk Set - Katharine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy - I don't know why...we just love watching this movie during the holidays
** Holiday Affair - Janet Leigh, Robert Mitchum

I love the old Christmas movies. That's my go-to all the time. Don't forget It's a Wonderful Life!.

Our family discovered a "new" old one It Happened On 5th Avenue

I have recorded a few new-to-me movies that I'll be seeing if they are keepers.

And we love Muppet Christmas Carol. The songs are so fun!

Now in the 80s Ernest Saves Christmas was a big hit with my family...I'll have to rewatch it and see if I still like it. "Ernest" was a Shakespearean actor and never raunchy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding a few more, and these may have been mentioned here already. Remember, I'm a sucker for a great black and white, so these are all oldies and treasures!

I'll Be Seeing You (Ginger Rogers) - Love story that is set during the holidays of WWII. It does contain some mature ideas: Ginger's character is going home for Christmas on a good behavior pass from her prison sentence of accidental manslaughter, and Joseph Cotten's character is out of a hospital after being treated for some intense post-traumatic stress from the War, and he's still quite raw. It's really a tender Christmas love story!

Amahl and the Night Visitors (1955) - This is a recording of a live tv program from 1955. It's a beautiful and tender opera which is really perfect for the entire family. A MUST SEE, really! The three wise men come to the house of a widow and her crippled son - the boy is healed and sets off with the three kings to bring his crutch to the Divine Child. Read more about the made for tv opera here. The option of being able to turn on the English subtitles may help for a first viewing. Or, you can read and print the text of the opera. You can also watch the Milwaukee Opera Theatre's last dress rehearsal of Amahl.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Two more for more mature audiences:

The Man Who Came to Dinner -- the star line-up in the is movie is incredible.

Remember the Night is Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, and is a dark murder movie, but you can see the effects of sin, and how good triumphs -- and the sinner has to pay for their sin, even if they are sorrowful.

Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart, (the musical remake with Judy Garland is In the Good Old Summertime, not really Christmas).

I just saw this good deal on 4 movies, including "Come to the Stable" which is only playing on HBO this Christmas [ulr=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GSXKQU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=familyfoodfor-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002GSXKQU]on Amazon[/url] for $11.00.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version