Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ideas for Christmas Day at home? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Usually, we go and see both sets of grandparents or we see one set and spend ALL day there basically napping and watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas television shows. I'm thinking were going to break from that routine and leave right after the lunch dishes have been done. We can just as easily nap and eat leftovers at our house, but I was wondering if anybody in this group has any little traditions that they do with their family in their own home on Christmas Day. Maybe that will be the day we actually sit down and really enjoy the beauty of our Christmas tree. Maybe snuggle up with blankets and a beautiful Christmas album (any suggestions for Christmas music would be great), turn all the lights off and just be silent. Any other ideas?
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We've taken to watching new movies (usually get several as gifts) makes for a nice relaxing afternoon.. snuggling up and watching the movies and visiting.. since the movies are often kids movies.

Dh and I started this our Oldest's first Christmas. His family had been there.. and basically packed up and left soon as the gift giving was over and we were left sorta high and dry and disappointed. We decided rather than mope we found a video store open.. ran down and rented movies and made some snacky things like a fondue.. and curled up together and watched movies. It turned out very nice.

I'm not sure how it's going to go this year. My sister moved into our town this summer so we now have family nearby and family that will want to spend time visiting on Christmas Day. But we're going to work it out together just what we want to be doing.

We also have our big meal Christmas Day night rather than Christmas Eve.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

We take it easy. You will find us in p.j.'s until afternoon watching movies (A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, The Christmas Story) or curled up in a chair with a book and a cup of hot chocolate. When everybody is hungry, dh goes and gets take-out Chinese. (Yes, that's from The Christmas Story.) When my parents were living we always had the traditional Christmas dinner, but now we really enjoy not having to cook and clean on Christmas Day. We visit my in-laws the week after Christmas. My mil always encouraged her children to spend Christmas with their immediate families so that's why we visit after Christmas Day.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

We bake a birthday cake for Jesus and serve it at dinner. My husband likes to cook so we work together on the meal...nothing too complex though. My parents usually join us for dinner but they are here a lot so it isn't like hosting guests. Most of the day is spent playing with new games and toys.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

I usually get the kids some new games for Christmas. We are also in our jammies all day. Last year we went to the morning Mass and came back home and changed into our jammies! Anyway, we usually put on some fun Christmas music and play the new games!

DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

How about watching home videos? When I was growing up we usually did this on New Years and stayed in our jammies all day long. Actually it started with slides and then videos as we got older--and it videos were "invented"   
I am hoping to start this in my own family soon. DD asked to see video of herself as a baby a few weeks ago and it triggered the New Years memories.   So fun to see "the way we were" and the kids get a kick out of seeing themselves as babies..
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

How about reading aloud A Christmas Carol? or something equally Christmassy? I like to read out of George MacDonald... He has several Christmas and winter themed stories.

It's also beautiful to sing carols together, with only the lights on the tree, esp if somebody can play too! Handel's Messiah is a treat for Christmas (or Easter! or anytime... ).

Our family loves Kings College Choir, they have several Christmas cds.

CK   
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We've always gone to Mass on Christmas Eve, then slept in (more or less; maybe less than more ). The stockings are hung on the stair railing, so when the dc get up early they are allowed to look at what's in their stockings, but not to go downstairs. They wind up re-packing the stockings. When they wake us up (no earlier than 7, officially), we all go downstairs and first un-pack stockings for everyone's enjoyment, one item at a time. Gifts are passed out, one at a time, to be opened and admired by all. Then we move on to brunch, which has involved baking on Christmas Eve; the anticipation has been building as the scents have been wafting through the house. Christmas brunch is leisurely. We probably will get dressed afterwards and spend the rest of the day watching new videos, reading new books, and just being restful. Eventually we have dinner. We have always kept Christmas Day just for *us*; this started when we didn't live near any other family and we have greatly preferred keeping the day as we do. It's quiet, but joyful in a low-key way.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. It's hard to break away from something I have done all my life. But I realized after reading this Christmas issue of Faith and Family that I have an obligation to create memories for my little family. I don't want those memories to be about traveling in a car between grandparents' houses and zoning out on twaddle television from naptime till late evening. Love the ideas, but most all I feel encouraged to break away from what I've known to go deeper into my love for my little family, so I thank you all.

Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We have always spent Christmas with extended family. Last year, though, the kids had chicken pox and we were forced to have Christmas at home. Initally, I was panic-stricken because I didn't know how to do Christmas on my own. Well, it turned out to be the best Christmas we have ever had. The kids got lots of games for Christmas so we played games and watched Christmas movies. I made some old family recipes of childhood favourite foods and we stuffed ourselves with yummy food.

We had such a great time that we are going to stay home for Christmas this year as well. I am so looking forward to this.

Julia
mom of 3(8,6,4)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We always stay home on Christmas Day. My wonderful parents live in town but they do the grand tour - visiting each family one at a time. We gather as one group earlier on Christmas Eve - and if timing and schedules work we actually go carolling before seperating to prepare for Midnight Mass. (My dd is usually involved at the parish with music and my sis's dc are involved at their parish so a lot depends on who is practicing when - we do all get together at some point, however, but never on Christmas day itself.

We also go to Midnight Mass after which our outdoor baby Jesus is placed in the manger. On Christmas morning, everyone does sleep in but when all are awake, we go downstairs singing (and our family singing is a horror for music lovers ears but we do it anyways) Joy to the World as we place a very special Jesus in a crib that we have been filling with straw all advent. The children take turns being the priviledged child to process with this Jesus - but the nativity sets in the music room and family room also get their baby Jesus placed during this procession. We then read the Nativity from the Bible and have a huge brunch with the best dishes and best tablecloth. (The final decorations are put up while the children sleep the night before so there are things to draw the eye and ooh and aah about). Our advent candles have been replaced with a lovely white or Mary candle which we light at every meal during the whole Christmas season. We have a special Christmas prayer that we pray with the lighted candle. We play Christmas carols, look at our lights, finally get around to opening presents and enjoying each others company. We generally will call relatives at some point around this time and the children talk to the out of town folks and in town cousins. We end the day by roasting marshmellows on the fireplace and making smores - the only time we make them in our family.

My folks generally put us on the last stop (because we sleep in so late) and may eat dinner with us. My dad usually ends up on the floor with dh helping build or do something mechanical with one of the children. It is very laid back, immensely delightful and very peaceful. My husband takes the whole week between Christmas and New Year off so we enjoy the whole season as a family.

Somewhere in there - usually around Epiphany, we have a group of folks for music jamming (Christmas music or classical, of course). The talent is in our friends and dc so my dh and I just enjoy. We usually have pianos, violins, cellos - and perhaps flute and French horn. We also do have the occassional 3 - 5 yo that "joins in" with piercingly loud recorder.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Our Christmas Day is about the same, every year.
The boys get up early (not terribly early, but earlyish, around 6:30 or 7.) I throw in the breakfast casserole, make coffee, and we open gifts.

Next eat, get dressed and go to Mass. I take the camera, because we always take a picture of all the boys (and us, too, as some fellow parishioner always kindly offers to take one of all of us,) in front of the nativity. Even the couple of years we were in FL for Christmas, we took pictures in front of their nativities, too. Kind of neat to see, year after year, the different churches and new additions!

After Mass, we come home, change into comfy clothes, put on Christmas music, and play games. I usually have Christmas dinner, so I also have to make frequent trips to the kitchen.

We almost always have my mil and bil, sometimes more, but that is the standard. We watch old movies, talk, pray, eat, talk about Christmases past, laugh, and just relax! We also have the birthday cake for Jesus.

On Christmas Eve, we usually have pierogi and New England Clam Chowder. We do set the table to include those not with us, but we don't usually put straw under the tablecloth. And we pass the oplatek and pray. My dh is 100% Polish, so I really enjoy putting these traditions into play. My sil is Italian, and her parents host a 7 fish Christmas Eve dinner.

Do you or dh have any strong ethnic ancestry that you could tie in a tradition there? My dad is half German, and I spend an afternoon making springerle before Christmas. I only have boys, but my oldest ds has learned to make them, and they all love to press the dough into the springerle boards.

My dad is also half English, so the boys make Christmas crackers to set at each plate. Our version of them doesn't make a noise, and we include a small paper roll with a prayer and a tiny gift (what is put in depends on the recipient.) I have also tried my grandfather's bread pudding recipe, but...either I am doing something wrong, or I need a new recipe!

The local traveling can be wearing. We have done that only a few times, but now don't as the extended family (my sis) has cats (5) and my oldest ds is terribly allergic. We have reversed the invite to come here, but it is usually declined. Unfortunately, they don't attend any church, ever (I am the only Catholic in my family,) and they prefer to watch cable sports on their big screen tv. I love them dearly and am always praying for a conversion.

I would love to hear what you decide to do!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

This thread has been such an encouragement to me. When I was growing up, Christmas was always spent between my two sets of grandparents' houses, and now that my husband and I have children, our parents (who all live locally) want the same...but we don't. This will be the first year we will be on our own for Christmas Day. Thanks to you all, I have some wonderful ideas of ways to enjoy the day, even with just our little family. Thank you so much.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Celeste -

I can understand the idea of your parents wanting to continue the tradition of visiting at the grandparents homes. It just seems to them like the way Christmas is *done*. But then I think about the dc wanting to stay home and play with their new toys. Not to mention the parents wanting the over-excited, tired children, who probably didn't sleep well the night before, to be able to fall asleep for a nap or early bedtime in their own house, own beds, etc. I think sometimes this great notion of spending the day going between the grandparents' houses can lead to meltdowns, crankiness, etc. Maybe you can invite your parents over for dessert or something; they can see their grandchildren on Christmas Day but your dc can still have Christmas at home. Not meaning to get OT, just my 2 cents.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

hylabrook1 wrote:
I can understand the idea of your parents wanting to continue the tradition of visiting at the grandparents homes. It just seems to them like the way Christmas is *done*. But then I think about the dc wanting to stay home and play with their new toys. Not to mention the parents wanting the over-excited, tired children, who probably didn't sleep well the night before, to be able to fall asleep for a nap or early bedtime in their own house, own beds, etc. I think sometimes this great notion of spending the day going between the grandparents' houses can lead to meltdowns, crankiness, etc. Maybe you can invite your parents over for dessert or something; they can see their grandchildren on Christmas Day but your dc can still have Christmas at home. Not meaning to get OT, just my 2 cents.

We don't have both sets of grandparents local, so we take turns traveling for Christmas, which in some ways is easier to decide what we are doing for Christmas. While it is inconvenient to travel, I do think that I want the memories with the grandparents now, since one day they won't be here...especially with more elderly grandparents.

This is a discussion we've had with family for years, and I know there's no wrong or right decision. While I know my son will want to play with his new toys, I also want him to learn to that it's "not all about him" and to make some effort to make other people's Christmas special. The toys will still be there, but grandparents won't. Christmas is more joyful through the eyes of the child, and now with our parents having empty nests, I like to share our joy with them.

Sorry, prolonging the OT.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

We do spend it with family but the time is spent playing games, singing carols, and eating!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

stacykay wrote:
   I take the camera, because we always take a picture of all the boys (and us, too, as some fellow parishioner always kindly offers to take one of all of us,) in front of the nativity. Even the couple of years we were in FL for Christmas, we took pictures in front of their nativities, too. Kind of neat to see, year after year, the different churches and new additions!

Y'know, I never even THOUGHT of doing this but it's a great idea! I'll have to remember this year.

At least some of us go to Midnight Mass and then maybe open a present when we get home. If all went we open them all. Each year is different.

Next morning, the littles get us ALL up early and we open presents while dh makes the coffee for him & me! The kids are usually too excited to eat much, but we'll often do a coffeecake or something a bit different (growing up we always had homemade egg nog or hot chocolate, depending on the weather!). We go to morning Mass (dh and I alone if the kids have all gone already); when we were in SC, we then went to dh's family for Christmas dinner. Now that we're in Colorado, we go to my brother's. I'd actually prefer to stay home and just keep it us ... but maybe this year I'll talk 'em into it! I like being just family that one day, y'know?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

hylabrook1 wrote:
Celeste -

I can understand the idea of your parents wanting to continue the tradition of visiting at the grandparents homes. It just seems to them like the way Christmas is *done*. But then I think about the dc wanting to stay home and play with their new toys. Not to mention the parents wanting the over-excited, tired children, who probably didn't sleep well the night before, to be able to fall asleep for a nap or early bedtime in their own house, own beds, etc. I think sometimes this great notion of spending the day going between the grandparents' houses can lead to meltdowns, crankiness, etc.

In our case, Christmas Day with the extended family sounds a lot like the original poster's experience--lots of cheesy TV movies.

The reason we're hoping to have Christmas at home this year is to try and incorporate some *religious* traditions. Unfortunately, those are completely missing from the celebrations at either of the grandparents' houses. (And, as you mentioned, two very cranky and overstimulated toddlers don't make for a very restful day either! ) Being that family is local, we'll spend lots of time with everyone after the "big day."

So many of the suggestions here have been really lovely--caroling, enjoying the tree, morning Mass, a special brunch...

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

We do a Christmas Eve dinner but I think dh will be off only for Christmas. This is the first year in 3yrs we'll be at home with no family visiting or to visit. I think we'll open gifts, eat breakfast and just relax the rest of the day. We'll probably get some christmas movies and save them for just that day.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

mimmyof5 wrote:
When everybody is hungry, dh goes and gets take-out Chinese. (Yes, that's from The Christmas Story.)
Janet

Janet! GREAT idea!!! It's my favorite Christmas movie!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version