Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Natural Childbirth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 29 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I wanted to echo Marilyn W's comments as well. I took Bradley classes before my first, and though I had intended to go without medication, I found myself at 3:30 am unable to take the pain anymore. I could actually see the pain when I closed my eyes!    I've been blessed with healthy, alert children, and I've enjoyed the birth process more. My husband and I chat and laugh with the nurse until about transition. The first epidural was too much, and I couldn't push, esp. since I didn't know how to. In contrast, my last was just enough to take the edge off-- I could feel the all the pressure and the pain of contractions, but it wasn't as bad. (two of my children have been "sunny side up", so I think that contributes, too.) Although I do use an epidural, what I learned in the Bradley class helps tremendously throughout the entire labor.   

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

mrsgranola wrote:
Molly, I won't go through my long birthing history again but I did want to share that I have been on a low dose of Zoloft for several years now, through several pregnancies (3). Remember that pretty much all medicines have liability-related warnings, as well as other valid reasons. [i.e. you'd be hard pressed to find much of anything that didn't have a warning against breastfeeding while taking it.]

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but I did want to speak up for those of us who need meds.

God bless!
JoAnna

JoAnna,
thank you for sharing your experience. I think what really threw me was my midwife saying that the medication was fine and "everyone takes it". She painted the picture that it was all good, nothing to consider, instead of giving me all the information and letting me decide.

At this point, I would rather try to continue to improve my situation nutritionally and naturally. I only have 5-6 weeks left and if I can just get myself on an even keel for that long, then we can re-evaluate the situation when the baby is born.

I do completely appreciate that there are times when the needs of the mother outweigh the potential risks to the baby. I also appreciate that there are all kinds of risks that we encounter on a daily basis. Every family needs to make these personal decisions based on prayer and discernment. And they need their healthcare provider to be forthcoming with all the information.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

This thread is so long but I wanted to chime in..I haven't read any other posts so I apologize if there's nothing new here. I've had one all natural birth. It was at a birth center. The only preparation I had was two days of birthing classes held at the center. We talked about all things prenatal, birthing, and postpartum. We didn't learn any particular birthing techniques. The most fascinating thing I discovered during the labor is that in between cxns I was just able to go into this really deep relaxation mode..even if only for half a minute or whatever... before the next cxn started. And I just did that naturally. It's funny how different we each are b/c the OP mentioned laboring on her back..I could never do that and it's one of the reasons I was so thankful I wasn't in the hospital again. I labored and birthed my dd on all fours. (I think that term is so weird..what is the proper term??)

I was able to naturally find a good rhythm for breathing. Information helped me the most with labor.. knowing about what to expect in each stage and so forth. I also had a quick and easy labor, though. When I have more time I'll go back and read the other responses. I bet there are some great ones!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Molly, any updates on the hunt for a new doc/midwife? I know its close to the end...how are you doing?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Well, I hate change and I hate making waves. I also just feel too paralyzed to make any decisions. So...

I guess I am sticking with the midwife I have. I was going to try to arrange a consultation with a different midwife in another practice, but the hospital she delivers at is further away. I don't know, I might still call her. Pitiful, huh?

I have been reading a lot about truly natural childbirth and am motivated to have as natural a birth as possible. I was reading to Court from Ina May's book and he asked me in a kind of exasperated voice if I really wanted a home birth. I think if I pushed him he would agree to it. But I think we both have to be comfortable with it. So, hospital it is.

I am 35 weeks and one day. We are focusing on getting house and minds ready for our little guy. I am still really struggling with periods of depression and panic. But, I have just tried to let go of any expectations and I can manage most days. My mil is coming next week for two weeks. I think that will help.

Thanks for asking!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

teachingmyown wrote:
Well, I hate change and I hate making waves. I also just feel too paralyzed to make any decisions. So...

I guess I am sticking with the midwife I have. I was going to try to arrange a consultation with a different midwife in another practice, but the hospital she delivers at is further away. I don't know, I might still call her. Pitiful, huh?

I have been reading a lot about truly natural childbirth and am motivated to have as natural a birth as possible. I was reading to Court from Ina May's book and he asked me in a kind of exasperated voice if I really wanted a home birth. I think if I pushed him he would agree to it. But I think we both have to be comfortable with it. So, hospital it is.

I am 35 weeks and one day. We are focusing on getting house and minds ready for our little guy. I am still really struggling with periods of depression and panic. But, I have just tried to let go of any expectations and I can manage most days. My mil is coming next week for two weeks. I think that will help.

Thanks for asking!

...counting down the days as well, here (3-4 weeks to go,since I usually go late), and also trying to mentally prepare for a new person in the home.

Sometimes it is easier to stick with the plan than change providers...I would do whatever brings you a sense of peace about the whole thing. 3rd trimester pg ladies don't need ANY added stress!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Wow! Won't be long now!

I've had 3 pain med free births. I needed pitocin for 2 of the labors, but my trusty birthing ball and the stuff I learned in my Bradley classes helped tremendously. I read books of natural childbirth stories and I felt really empowered by them--just knowing others could do it assured me that I could as well.

Good luck!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version